IGNORED

Bubba being Bubba.....................again

Cool Breeze
Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally, I don't buy the "good Christian" routine. People who go on and on about what a good Christian they are usually aren't. In my opinion Bubba is just an extremely talented guy who doesn't have a lot of good golf qualities other than his considerable talent. He lacks mental toughness, that's for sure. It doesn't take much to put him off his game.

Unfortunately for Bubba, the media will always be looking for his outbursts.  He has developed a reputation with his emotional play and it will be tough to shake that.

I agree, that is part of it.  The media feeds off of people that provide them angles to attack.  Bubba tries hard to convey he's just a fun loving country boy who embraces self-deprecating humor i.e. Golf Boys videos, General Lee and PGA Tour commercial but in less controlled environments appears to be an emotional, childish, sometimes angry guy that is quite the opposite of his PR "persona".    It also doesn't help that Bubba is very vocal about his faith which makes him a target of the mainstream media.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bubba tries hard to convey he's just a fun loving country boy who embraces self-deprecating humor i.e. Golf Boys videos, General Lee and PGA Tour commercial but in less controlled environments appears to be an emotional, childish, sometimes angry guy that is quite the opposite of his PR "persona".

Well that's exactly the problem. He's kind of a phony. He portrays himself as something he isn't, not entirely anyway. Sure he's probably a fun loving guy, but he seems to only have fun when he's doing well. When he's not, look out. Kind of reminds me of an alcoholic sometimes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ah. There it is. Here we go again.

I have no idea if Bubba is a Christian or not. That's between him and God. Lots of people call themselves Christians that have actions that show they probably aren't.

Christian bashing seems to be a popular sport these days.

I'm out of this thread.

Don't act like Shorty started this.  Bubba started this shit when he threw out the "I'm a chrustian" line.  He did this.  He is the one who started it so it is part of the conversation.  Nobody assumed he was a christian, he went out of his way to tell us he was in the unsuccessful attempt to make him look like a decent member of the species.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

He appears to be one of those people who revels in his boorishness - "I'm just a good old boy, I can't be expected to understand all this French culture horseshit, take me as you find me" - but then takes gross offence when anyone says that they don't like what they've found. Plus he really shouldn't be throwing his toys out of his pram at his age, he's 35, not 3.5. A particularly charmless specimen.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Don't act like Shorty started this.  Bubba started this shit when he threw out the "I'm a chrustian" line.  He did this.  He is the one who started it so it is part of the conversation.  Nobody assumed he was a christian , he went out of his way to tell us he was in the unsuccessful attempt to make him look like a decent member of the species.

Wow. Did Bubba defile your little sister or something, or do you always get this animated over sports figures and other celebrities.... ....or is it more of an anti-Christian thing? Just trying to understand the vehemence here.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It's a bit of a shame that someone with such a unique talent and take on shotmaking is such a pillock. Oh well...

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

I think any of the pros complaining about conditions is a whiny b!tch. It's part of the game and everyone out there is dealing with the same thing, or it's the luck of the draw if it rains in the Am and not the Pm. The only exception would be unsafe conditions (lightning, gators, etc)... Which I don't believe they have to deal with. Be a professional, do your job, make your money... And stop crying, no one wants to hear it or see it. Be a man about it

My opinion on this story is, admittedly, heavily influenced by what he did Wednesday.

I agree. In itself, an outburst or two isn't a reason for me to dislike a golfer (although if your gonna explode, I much prefer a Tiger F-Bomb to the whiny "man, I can't catch a break today" "too much water on the course" BS that Bubba was spouting).

That said, what Bubba did in the lead up to the PGA was premeditated and proves to me that he is a self centered prick. I am inclined to view all of his actions through that prism going forward.

Wow. Did Bubba defile your little sister or something, or do you always get this animated over sports figures and other celebrities....

....or is it more of an anti-Christian thing?

Just trying to understand the vehemence here.

Agree.

Bubba Grump must have a "hater effect" on others...

As we know, Bubba Grinch is human, and his behavior shows a pattern. Maybe he'll figure it out. As to several of the responses to Bubba, it's Bubba Grump-like....

:-$

To @Cool Breeze

Is it really cool to snap react as you did? Let's hold Bubba accountable, but let go...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Shortly after the Masters win, someone started a poll on Bubba based loosely around the idea of whether you were a fan a not. His approval rating was 72% on this forum

So far as I can see reading some of it back, and this thread, there are a couple trends (not hard and fast rules)

1: christians seem to transfers their faith into an endorsement of Bubba, as non believers also use it the opposite way. I don't see how people can keep appealing to leave religion out of this though when Bubba makes it such a central plank and justification for his behaviour. Discuss George W Bush's foreign policy, but don't mention Iraq. The simple fact is the items are inseperable so you have to learn to debate / argue the nastier side of it and live with it rather than say don't go there

2: There also seems to be a geographic thing going on, based on a 500 mile radius of the Florida pan handle. Apologists for Bubba do disproportionately seem to post from that area (amongst those who declare a location)

Anyway here's the original thread, but Bubba Watson is 72% approved by The Sand Trap, which marks him out at a level much higher than any President, and just below the Queen of England

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73900/bubba-watson-fan-or-not-a-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Wow. Did Bubba defile your little sister or something, or do you always get this animated over sports figures and other celebrities....

....or is it more of an anti-Christian thing?

Just trying to understand the vehemence here.

I don't have a little sister and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't defiled any other ladies in my family.  :)

As far as the Christian thing, I'm not so much anti religion as I am anti people who use religion to either A) make money or B) use it as a cop out to make themselves appear to be better than they are.  (None of us are perfect I know that.  I'm just saying when you screw up, be a man and own it)

My vehemence probably does stem from my intolerance for religious stupidity (I'm not saying religion is stupid.  I have my views on that but this isn't a religious forum so I won't go into depth about my religious views.  I'll just keep it as it relates to Bubba).

If he hadn't brought the religion part up, I would probably just thought he was an ******* for treating his caddie like crap and be done with it.  As it is now, I will very much enjoy every bad shot he hits and sincerely hope he never wins again.

Quote:

To @Cool Breeze

Is it really cool to snap react as you did? Let's hold Bubba accountable, but let go...

I'm not trying to be cool.  I'm merely putting it out there as to how I feel and the thread has gotten several replies, proving that it is a topic that people are interested in.  And that goes both ways, to both those who agree with me and those who do not.

I certainly don't think I'm the only one with a valid opinion, but my opinion is mine and I'll not apologize for it or tone it down.  I'm me and if someone doesn't like that, well they're at the end of a long list.

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

I don't have a little sister and to the best of my knowledge he hasn't defiled any other ladies in my family.  :)

As far as the Christian thing, I'm not so much anti religion as I am anti people who use religion to either A) make money or B) use it as a cop out to make themselves appear to be better than they are.  (None of us are perfect I know that.  I'm just saying when you screw up, be a man and own it)

My vehemence probably does stem from my intolerance for religious stupidity (I'm not saying religion is stupid.  I have my views on that but this isn't a religious forum so I won't go into depth about my religious views.  I'll just keep it as it relates to Bubba).

If he hadn't brought the religion part up, I would probably just thought he was an ******* for treating his caddie like crap and be done with it.  As it is now, I will very much enjoy every bad shot he hits and sincerely hope he never wins again.

I'm not trying to be cool.  I'm merely putting it out there as to how I feel and the thread has gotten several replies, proving that it is a topic that people are interested in.  And that goes both ways, to both those who agree with me and those who do not.

I certainly don't think I'm the only one with a valid opinion, but my opinion is mine and I'll not apologize for it or tone it down.  I'm me and if someone doesn't like that, well they're at the end of a long list.

Yes, the cranky, cantankerous, obstinate reply...

Nothing cool breeze about that...

:doh:

But it's yours...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yes, the cranky, cantankerous, obstinate reply... Nothing cool breeze about that... :doh:   But it's yours...

At least the "long line" makes sense. :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't understand all of the hate towards Bubba for complaining about bad golf shots. I've complained on the golf course when I've hit a bad shot and it's just a way to relieve stress.  These guys are out there trying to earn a paycheck and finishing in 2nd or 3rd can be a big difference in the payout.  No one says anything when Tiger is dropping F bombs left and right.

You didn't really just write that did you?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Prove he is using it as a cop out, or is it just because he shows his emotions on his sleeve and has some issues, does that make him a bad christian because he cant act all prim and proper all the time? Seriously he's human. He has his faults. His own Caddie has told him before, knock the attitude or I'm leaving. In the heat of the moment, when the pressure is on, usually that is when true personalities show. Does that make him a bad Christian, or using it as a cop out, NO! It makes him human. If he needs Christianity as a way to balance himself in life, as a constant reminder then that is what it is for him. Maybe it is a constant struggle for him to find that balance and he has hit slip ups. All we know is the media likes to show his slip ups and people on this thread just assume that is how he is 100% of the time. No one is perfect. If he is trying then he's not using it as a cop out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!