IGNORED

TST Explores GAME Golf

Update: I went out today and played on a 9-hole course near my house.  Since I'm still actively working on a specific aspect of my swing, I treated it like a practice round, taking multiple tee shots, fluffing lies, and generally just not keeping score.  My main purpose was to play with the new GG.

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/Hardspoon/round/623411

Verdict: it's awesome.  It's the best $115 I've spent in a while.

At first, tagging was a little distracting.  I felt like I needed to tag directly over the shot, which seemed to mess with my alignment/setup a little.  Once I realized that one or two yards behind the ball wouldn't really matter much, and started tagging in my pre-shot routine, it helped a lot.  The whole process was very seamless.

I love the visualization, and editing is extremely easy.  I found I could edit most shots from memory without trouble.

It's really neat to be able to see individual "memorable" shots.  At one point, I caught some sort of flier with a 5-iron, and it went MUCH further than I was expecting.  Neat to be able to check it out and see that I hit it 208 yards (average solid 5i shot for me is about 180).

I'll probably delete this round once I play with it a bit more; a lot of the shots aren't even "real", since I was playing with multiple balls or would just go to a different spot and play.

I'm curious whether people are careful to move around the pin locations.  I was thinking that since I always aim at the middle of the green, I might just move all the pins to the center so that my approach stats are accurate.  Thoughts?

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm curious whether people are careful to move around the pin locations.  I was thinking that since I always aim at the middle of the green, I might just move all the pins to the center so that my approach stats are accurate.  Thoughts?

I move the pin to approximately where it was when I played, but I don't think it really matters. Details like that bother me so I do it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

I put the holes where they actually were.

I think that if you always aim for the middle, they'll balance out. If the hole is in the front and you hit the middle, that will balance out when the pin is back and you hit it short (to the middle of the green). Also, I think that the stats are more related to the green and not the flag so much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I put the pins where they were during the round. Like @iacas said it balances out and I think it would make it easier to edit the rounds.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I really like my GG but I am really starting to question the accuracy of the distances of it, especially on drives. For example I played Friday and sone of my putts were on the cart path. I've had a few rounds like this, tee shots on the cart path etc..

Also it would be great to be able to mark shots as chips or pitches and not have them count torward your clubs stats, I use my 8i all the time for chips and my 9i some too, I'd like them to not torwards my average for those clubs.

Also it would be great to be able to mark shots as chips or pitches and not have them count torward your clubs stats, I use my 8i all the time for chips and my 9i some too, I'd like them to not torwards my average for those clubs.

You can "vote" for requests like this at the myexperience.gamegolf.com site.  There's already at least one request for this feature (the request I saw had 41 votes).  You can also add in a request for another new feature if you don't see it listed already.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

You can "vote" for requests like this at the myexperience.gamegolf.com site.  There's already at least one request for this feature (the request I saw had 41 votes).  You can also add in a request for another new feature if you don't see it listed already.

thanks for mentioning this, I already new about the site and already voted on it.

• 1 month later...

564897b7a62f7_ScreenShot2015-11-14at5.20

NaN yards?

Craig

32 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

564897b7a62f7_ScreenShot2015-11-14at5.20

NaN yards?

"Not a number" (usually some calculation error, or where they forgot to error-check something). Or... you probably knew that and were wondering why the error- in which case my post is for the benefit of others!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

4 hours ago, RandallT said:

"Not a number" (usually some calculation error, or where they forgot to error-check something). Or... you probably knew that and were wondering why the error- in which case my post is for the benefit of others!

No, I didn't know what it meant--thanks for the explanation. I hadn't seen it before. It changed to a number when I adjusted the pin position a little. 

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

The last few rounds I've posted (about the last month or so) show some very inaccurate tagged positions--mostly biased in a north-south direction (either too far north or too far south by a few yards).  Some shots look okay, so it's not every tag.

I don't think I'm "rushing" the unit (it's a GG classic unit); i.e., I'm giving it plenty of time--I tried to pay attention to do that, especially on the greens today, where it's easier to see.  For one of the rounds, I wondered whether wearing a fleece top might have affected it, but I've this week I've haven't needed a sweatshirt or fleece top over my shirt, and it's still happening.  Only other difference I've noted is that it's been quite windy (25+ mph at times), but I can't see how that would affect GPS.

I can put in a question to customer service at GameGolf, but I thought I'd see if anybody else has noticed a change recently.

Craig

Not sure I would notice a "few yards". Are you saying you literally think some tags are 3-6 feet off or several yards. Like the shot overlay on the map has your tag in a completely different area of the hole.

If it's the latter I have only seen it when I have missed a tag and may have been taking practice swing behind my ball waiting on the group ahead and it detected a shot. Could be clouds and the usual +/- error of the GPS. I have Rain Main memory regarding my rounds and GG tags. I play the same courses all year. I know them well and the tags are always real close to where my ball actually was.

Dave :-)

17 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

The last few rounds I've posted (about the last month or so) show some very inaccurate tagged positions--mostly biased in a north-south direction (either too far north or too far south by a few yards).  Some shots look okay, so it's not every tag.

I don't know that I would call being off a few yards as being "very inaccurate". How do you know that they are off a few yards? I don't think I would really notice unless I hit a green and it had me tagged in the rough or in the bunker. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Not sure I would notice a "few yards". Are you saying you literally think some tags are 3-6 feet off or several yards. Like the shot overlay on the map has your tag in a completely different area of the hole.

If it's the latter I have only seen it when I have missed a tag and may have been taking practice swing behind my ball waiting on the group ahead and it detected a shot. Could be clouds and the usual +/- error of the GPS. I have Rain Main memory regarding my rounds and GG tags. I play the same courses all year. I know them well and the tags are always real close to where my ball actually was.

Yeah, some shots are in the wrong part of the green--off by 2-4 paces or so (sometimes).  When I've got a chip/pitch and then 1 or more putts, the "grouping" relative to each other looks correct, but it's the wrong place.  It's not practice swings, because I'm noticing it most on the greens.  And maybe it is the inherent error in GPS--but I've noticed more north-to-south shifts recently (see below).

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

I don't know that I would call being off a few yards as being "very inaccurate". How do you know that they are off a few yards? I don't think I would really notice unless I hit a green and it had me tagged in the rough or in the bunker. 

I've noticed it near greens and bunkers, like you say, as well as other objects.  Some shots, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference; but I've had more "that ain't right" thoughts when going over my rounds recently than usual.

Here are a few examples:

I hit the middle of the fairway (for once!), not near the rough:
5669cb262b413_1stfairway.png.81f221153fd

Here I was north of the stand of trees.  All (3 :8)) of my putts should be on the north side of the green as well.  But the grouping of the shots relative to each other looks right:
5669cb4700a7e_1stgreen.png.346e24d651bbc

Relative grouping looks right, but "shifted" to the south.
5669cb5c401da_3rdgreen.png.c7a11f758b68f

On some holes, things look fine, but there have been a bunch of holes where my last tap-in putt looks like it's right on the fringe, but in real life it wasn't.  The examples above are mostly shifted to the south, but I've had a few (not as many) shifted to the north. I thought that maybe I was tagging too quickly, so I've tried to give a few extra seconds to make sure that isn't the case--same results.  (Plus, I tag after I take my shot, not before.)

Yeah, maybe my wording of "very inaccurate" is a bit too strong (it's only GPS, after all).  But it seems to be different now than it was in the past--I find myself "moving" my shot into or out of bunkers, around the green, etc. more than previously.

If this is all within GPS error (and it probably is), that's fine.  I posted because I noticed a recent change, and wondered if other users did as well.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig

Most of it looks like +/- GPS range of accuracy. I do see funny stuff on the green. Especially when my putting is erratic or lucky. I almost always have to move the flag around and move a couple putts. A couple yards looks bigger on the green for those that remember exactly where they were at. Two short putts may be out of order relative to the distance they were from the hole, tag 5 could be outside of tag 4 despite being closer to the hole.

I am just careful with the edit. Not so much I want perfect yardage as I want correct stats. GG needs some more editing functions. The sand saves stats is pretty much useless.

Dave :-)

GPS location (without differential error correction) is at BEST (ideal reception, ideal software and hardware) accurate to 3.5 to 5 meters.

So, if your initial location can be 3 to 6 meters off, and your end location can have the same error, you can only reliably depend on 6 to 12 meters with uncorrected locations.

These errors are not consistent, and vary with atmospheric conditions, line of sight to satellite, and the number of satellites reporting.

If you want measurements accurate to under 10 meters you are going to have to differentialy correct each position.

Errors multiply, sometimes exponentially. 

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

1 hour ago, CR McDivot said:

GPS location (without differential error correction) is at BEST (ideal reception, ideal software and hardware) accurate to 3.5 to 5 meters.

So, if your initial location can be 3 to 6 meters off, and your end location can have the same error, you can only reliably depend on 6 to 12 meters with uncorrected locations.

These errors are not consistent, and vary with atmospheric conditions, line of sight to satellite, and the number of satellites reporting.

If you want measurements accurate to under 10 meters you are going to have to differentialy correct each position.

Errors multiply, sometimes exponentially. 

Whenever the system acts up, I remind myself that the whole thing is magic and sorcery anyway, and I'm just amazed it works as well as it does. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 3 weeks later...

Each round shows daily temp, wind direction and wind speed.

Assuming it's showing conditions at the start of a round.

It would be helpful if the conditions were updated per hole with the time on each tee box.

Wind direction and speed would be useful in analyses of club performance.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!