IGNORED

Whaddya Wanna See from TST?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

To be brutally honest, my only criticism & it's just aimed to the membership as a whole ... there doesn't seem to be a lot of camaraderie amongst the members.     Just one example, the best shot thread - everybody posts their best shot of the week, and its a rare thing for someone to respond - everyone just posts their shots for others to read, and that's it  ... rarely see a "Heckuva shot Jim", "I know that hole Fred, fantastic shot", ""the way you cut that dogleg Rick, not sure I would have tried that", etc.

That's one of about three threads where we have always requested there not be any replies. Why? Because they get off-topic. "Great shot! How'd you play it?" turns into a technique discussion, for example.

What'd you Shoot Today?

What are you working on?

Best Shot of the Week?

Those threads are more just a way to post a significant thing.

Members with "My Swing" threads will often re-post particularly memorable rounds in their My Swing threads.

I realize that it's not your entire reason, but… three threads are kind of "no replies" threads on purpose.

Just seems like there's not a whole lot of back and forth friendly dialogue. The blow-up hole thread - two pages of cringe-worthy epic blow ups so far, and not a single reply.

That is not a "no reply" thread. :)

So… respond. Post something. You have the power to change this type of thing. I can't, as an administrator, "make" people be friendly and reply to things. :D

I'm not bashing the site by any means, as I spend more time here than any others - I like the layout of the site, and have learned a lot from the members ... and this is just an observation compared to other golf discussion boards, which seem to be a lot "friendlier", maybe "chummier" would be a better word, as there are plenty of friendly people here ... not sure how we as a group move in this direction, I would just like to see people take the time to respond to threads .

I think people could bookmark some of the links to pre-set searches  in my signature and visit them from time to time.

Like a snowball rolling down a hill, it'll get larger and gain momentum. Just start the snowball rolling, @inthehole ! :)

I think it would be helpful to know what the owner and mods want this site to be.  This is the best site for overall golf discussion and instruction so if that's the goal, I think it's there.

That's pretty much it, isn't it? A place to talk about golf, like you would with your buddies after a round.

The only shortcoming I see is that other sites have a larger focus on equipment and their membership is much more active in discussing it.

Yeah, well, we're instructors by and large. Even before, when I wasn't an instructor, I realized that the equipment had far less to do with your ability to play and enjoy golf than your ability, the people you play with, the courses you play, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree but I feel like a lot of people are scared to say something. I know everything I say I worry about EJ tearing me up (that's what she said ;) ).

All jokes aside I think most people worry about the negative when they comment on something someone else posted.

I sometimes wonder how I got this reputation...I think it's largely over stated, but maybe it's more deserved than I realize...

Tell ya what @Jakester23 , I'm giving you a 30 day free pass. Have fun! ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The TST is what it is, and at this particular time, I personally see no big changes needed. Going forward, I just hope we don't run out of things to talk about. There must be a finite limit of topics around the sport of golf. I think some people more likely to fear Shorty more than you, EJ. But mostly the ribbing from you both is all in good fun, seems to me. The biting wit helps liven things to be sure.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The TST is what it is, and at this particular time, I personally see no big changes needed. Going forward, I just hope we don't run out of things to talk about. There must be a finite limit of topics around the sport of golf. I think some people more likely to fear Shorty more than you, EJ. But mostly the ribbing from you both is all in good fun, seems to me. The biting wit helps liven things to be sure.

I think that as long as the PGA Tour is still a thing, TST will be fine ------------- EJ has a rep of being scary? Lol. Funny you mention Shorty, you will probably get put in his "shame file" for your use of the term "going forward" :dance:

Riley

Funny you mention Shorty, you will probably get put in his "shame file" for your use of the term "going forward" :dance:

not for "personally" or "is what it is" or "at this particular time"? :)

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I think we need more cowbell. ;-) Sorry. Back to more serious posts.

Done. [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] And since there was no previous cowbell, this is infinitely more cowbell! (You even get Jimmy Fallon breaking in the background!)[/SPOILER]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Positive or negative, we want to hear it all, you're not gonna hurt our feelings :-)

Just want to address the camaraderie point a little. I think we're better than other sites in terms of being "friendly". Like Erik said, we can't make people be friendly but we are pretty strict about name calling and keeping threads under control.  I've seen some pretty nasty behavior on other golf sites.

We also just had a two-day Sand Trap outing in Erie and in Southern California we have an outing every quarter, so I think that says something to the friendly environment of the site.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would like to have more "be the instructor" threads where we can offer our thoughts and then hear the feedback from @iacas and @mvmac on what they recommended to the player. These were fun. I will also second the how would you play this type threads.

Michael

I agree that we as members of TST could be a closer knit group. One activity that major corporations employ is offsite team competitive games/competitions. It improves comaraderie among employees. Our administrator with the help of moderators could orchestrate the teams and competition.

I sometimes wonder how I got this reputation...I think it's largely over stated, but maybe it's more deserved than I realize... Tell ya what @Jakester23 , I'm giving you a 30 day free pass. Have fun! ;-)

I was completely joking I wish there were more EJ 's wait maybe not. ;). I think you are great for this site as are 99% of the members. I feel like Erik Mike and company are doing great. Don't be like the NFL and try and change something that doesn't need to be changed.

I was completely joking I wish there were more EJ 's wait maybe not. ;). I think you are great for this site as are 99% of the members. I feel like Erik Mike and company are doing great. Don't be like the NFL and try and change something that doesn't need to be changed.

I don't know whether to blush or revoke your 30 day pass. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well, as a longtime lurker, following the my swing threads and not having everything in private mode, when I wasn't a member, were a big part of drawing me in :=)

Although some of the instruction was way off base, I would have .... lol

I would like to see more of the VLogs everyone and "how would you play this hole" were excellent, and if I forgot to thank:

@Ernest Jones , @RJH999 , @Brian W on my welcome I say, wow this is gettin' long.

it doesn't get any better than this, that's right shorty I said it.

brian

• Upvote 1

Brian   

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Positive or negative, we want to hear it all, you're not gonna hurt our feelings

Just want to address the camaraderie point a little. I think we're better than other sites in terms of being "friendly". Like Erik said, we can't make people be friendly but we are pretty strict about name calling and keeping threads under control.  I've seen some pretty nasty behavior on other golf sites.

We also just had a two-day Sand Trap outing in Erie and in Southern California we have an outing every quarter, so I think that says something to the friendly environment of the site.

Yeah, regarding the camaraderie, I agree.  It's whatever you want to make of it.  If you want to come on here and talk about golf (or other things too) somewhat anonymously, you can certainly do that.  OTOH, if you want to meet 15-20 new golfing buddies, and make several other internet friends that would be a golfing buddy were it not for geography, get yourself invited to test out new golf equipment, and other various fun golf related stuff, all in the span of a couple of years ... you can do that too. :beer:

I really liked @mvmac 's how to grip thread. Seems like he stated there would be more threads like that coming, but I don't think I have seen any.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I wish I had a good answer - you guys seem to have all the bases covered, at least with respect to the things I'm interested in. I miss the live chat for the majors but that can be covered in a thread. I enjoyed the old audio podcasts you guys did way way back. Reddit has AMA, ask me anything, but you have something like that in the blog posted as interviews or @mvmac collected questions in a thread.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interesting responses. I thought we were pretty good at the camaraderie thing. There have been multiple outings held, and some people have become regular playing partners by getting together on the site. I was expecting more people to mention equipment. This isn't really the place for club fitters and techies, although there are some members who are very knowledgeable. I don't care about the WitB type of stuff for pros, but I guess some people do because I've seen it in other places. I really enjoy the behind the scenes stuff, like the Titleist facility and the Ping factory. I don't know if doing more things like that is really our choice so much as being invited.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!