IGNORED

Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it?

Shorty
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When a rule requires a player to replace a ball, it must be replaced on the same spot from which it was lifted.  Where the mark is placed is not specified under the rule.  What Choi did was so blatant that it boggles my mind.  Her casual attitude toward this action just confirms her intent to change the line of her putt, yet it's as if she somehow thought that there was nothing wrong with that.  Has she never heard of the penalties handed out for a ball that moves just 1/16 of an inch?  Crazy. Then Judy Rankin getting all PC about it.  Bull!  She is in a position of being a semi-reporter, yet she tries to excuse it as an honest mistake.  More bull!  I really think that the LPGA is in such dire straits that they thought it would be best if the incident just quietly went away.  Instead they are going to be hurt far more if they continue to simply ignore it.  They need to act or the entire Tour gets a black eye from it.

It is weird because Rankin is usually pretty negative on the players.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is weird because Rankin is usually pretty negative on the players.

It seems obvious she has developed a personal relationship with this player I've never heard of until today and it's affecting her judgement.  We need to get Dottie Pepper back in the game, screaming about choking freakin dogs.

"Witty golf quote."

When a rule requires a player to replace a ball, it must be replaced on the same spot from which it was lifted.  Where the mark is placed is not specified under the rule.  What Choi did was so blatant that it boggles my mind.  Her casual attitude toward this action just confirms her intent to change the line of her putt, yet it's as if she somehow thought that there was nothing wrong with that.  Has she never heard of the penalties handed out for a ball that moves just 1/16 of an inch?  Crazy.

Then Judy Rankin getting all PC about it.  Bull!  She is in a position of being a semi-reporter, yet she tries to excuse it as an honest mistake.  More bull!  I really think that the LPGA is in such dire straits that they thought it would be best if the incident just quietly went away.  Instead they are going to be hurt far more if they continue to simply ignore it.  They need to act or the entire Tour gets a black eye from it.

This ^^^^^^ especially the last paragraph.

Wow. She should be suspended immediately. The WD should be changed to a DQ. Isn't it a rule that you have to provide a medical reason?

"Suspended?! Kick her off the tour Doug!" Sorry I was way off topic but I couldn't help myself.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

I know improperly marking a ball is a big deal, but sheesh ... seems a tad over-reaction from the gallery here.    Good thing there's not a gallows in the background ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I know improperly marking a ball is a big deal, but sheesh ... seems a tad over-reaction from the gallery here.    Good thing there's not a gallows in the background ...

I'm not sure it's the improper placement of the ball that's the issue, but her reaction to the penalty that really draws people's ire. Most people will accept the 2-stroke penalty because they will accept they did something wrong. She refused, was defiant about it, and then WD from the event. Her behavior indicates that she believes she did nothing wrong and what she did is perfectly acceptable, even though it is clearly against the Rules of Golf.

This game holds integrity in the highest esteem. Dishonesty violates the spirit of golf at it's core.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Have you watched the video?  It's not as simple as an "improper mark" or "improper replacement."  It was how she went about it.  There was really no reason for her to even bother marking it other than to move it.  And more importantly ...

I'm not sure it's the improper placement of the ball that's the issue, but her reaction to the penalty that really draws people's ire. Most people will accept the 2-stroke penalty because they will accept they did something wrong. She refused, was defiant about it, and then WD from the event. Her behavior indicates that she believes she did nothing wrong and what she did is perfectly acceptable, even though it is clearly against the Rules of Golf.

This game holds integrity in the highest esteem. Dishonesty violates the spirit of golf at it's core.

Exactly.

Accidentally improperly marking your ball will get you a penalty and absolutely no grief from me. Stuff happens, pay attention. Intentionally improperly marking your ball to obtain a calculated advantage over your competitors OTOH...well...let's just keep it civil and stick with Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I almost did the same thing last Saturday (well sort of the same).

I was going to mark my ball that was in somebody's line and I asked him if the mark was going to be in his way.

He said "just mark it on the left side and it will be alright."

After he putted and missed and then finished I started to put my ball down as if I had marked behind the ball like I normally do. Caught myself at the last minute.

Whew! I'm glad I caught it because I would have hated to be a low life, cheating, scum bag.

I would like to hear what her explanation is. If there is a spike mark the explanation is obvious and she cheated. If there isn't a spike mark I don't know what to think because nothing would make sense.

You really can't think that those are close to the same thing. You marked yours, moved it at the request of another golfer, and some time after that almost forgot to move it back. Choi on the other hand moved her ball to a completely different position in a matter of seconds. You had a brain fart (almost), she cheated.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

You really can't think that those are close to the same thing. You marked yours, moved it at the request of another golfer, and some time after that almost forgot to move it back. Choi on the other hand moved her ball to a completely different position in a matter of seconds. You had a brain fart (almost), she cheated.

It seems like we've had a lot of threads about cheating pros lately, is it that they all regularly cheat (subconscious or not) and that HD is catching more of them doing it?

Still, I keep asking myself why would she intentionally cheat for what amounts to no game advantage and risk getting caught on video doing it?

If all of my local golfers were videoed in HD I wonder if the ones that currently "cheat" would continue using bifurcated rules and foot wedges to get out of trouble "automatically"?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The biggest difference between golf and most other sports is the honesty and integrity of its participants.  When a professional golfer ignores a rule in such a cavalier fashion then yes, it is a big deal.  The way that Judy Rankin glossed it over, and the apparent disinterest by the tour seems to condone her actions, and to any real golfer, that just exacerbates the infraction.  The only over-reaction I saw was, as usual, by Shorty.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

They bring shorty in to call you a low life scumbag until you break down in tears and admit that you moved the ball off that root.

No, they get Aguirre to let everybody off. He'll buy any excuse no matter how lame or dishonest. Cheating will become a thing of the past with no stigma attached to it.

Not exactly the Aguirre in the film, are you, Aguirre?  You're a pushover.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why don't you read the actual thread? It has very little to do with improperly marking a ball.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why don't you read the actual thread? It has very little to do with improperly marking a ball.

In fact, she didn't even mark her ball improperly at all. The mark was a bit, let's call it non-standard , but conformed to the rules nonetheless.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Still, I keep asking myself why would she intentionally cheat for what amounts to no game advantage and risk getting caught on video doing it?

Some behaviors defy logic. What matters is that she did it and it seems like it will go unpunished. That definitely sends the wrong message.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Playing devils advocate ... in the odd case that she actually didn't do it on purpose, maybe she just has a temper and was PISSED, which is why she did what she did. That's the only excuse I can think of as to why she WD - she probably said to herself f*** this, I'm outa here. Just a guess ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Playing devils advocate ... in the odd case that she actually didn't do it on purpose, maybe she just has a temper and was PISSED, which is why she did what she did. That's the only excuse I can think of as to why she WD - she probably said to herself f*** this, I'm outa here. Just a guess ...

I'm not sure that situation applies. She was shown the video which clearly indicates she did not replace the ball in the same spot. It's clearly a 2-stroke penalty. I don't understand on what grounds she could argue that it's not and refuse to accept the penalty. Her intent isn't even relevant.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

I'm not sure that situation applies. She was shown the video which clearly indicates she did not replace the ball in the same spot. It's clearly a 2-stroke penalty. I don't understand on what grounds she could argue that it's not and refuse to accept the penalty. Her intent isn't even relevant.

That's why I would like to hear what she has to say about it. I'm 99.999% sure that nothing she says would change my opinion about it but it would be interesting to hear her fumble around for a plausible explanation.

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!