IGNORED

"Correct" pace of play

flopster
Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is a correct pace of play?

• 4 1/2 hours
    • keep up with group in front

Public / muni courses don't have such rules or methods to enforce them so it's up to each individual to maintain pace of play and most either are ignorant to pace of play issues or just don't care.

There's the rub right there.  It's a problem that is probably unsolvable on a large scale for those exact reasons.  On a personal scale, the remedy is to play at places and times that you know have a good chance at being faster rounds and avoid the places and times notorious for being crowded and slow.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played with a neighbor that took three mulligans on one hole, they were all OB. At the end of the hole I said, "I got a bogey", he said, "me too". He had maybe 7 mulligans for the round.

Mulligans slow the pace of play.

So do those lines on the ball that players spend all that extra time trying to line them up perfectly.

Tell me, in his honor is why you chose that username.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

"Sure, but if there is group behind you waiting you hopefully wave them through. The pace of play when the course is reasonably full and crowded is one aspect of the issue. The other aspect, though, is when the course is not crowded and we get the golf equivalent of the guy driving at 55 in the left lane holding up traffic because by gosh he is going the speed limit...." Of course we'll let them through, and even THAT has a system that will allow as little as time as necessary to pass to keep the pace up. But in a later post, I mentioned that if the PACE is pretty much set for a full course weekend mid-morning, say about 4+ hours, There IS NO PLACE TO GO. I don't care if you ARE playing, or trying to, at a superhuman pace. It is expected that you let them play through IF THERE IS PLACE TO GO. Not to just let them through because they are faster, or rather, trying to play faster. If we're waiting for the group ahead on nearly every hole, and you start blasting drives into us because YOU want to play faster, you will hear it. And then start rushing up to the tee from the green while we're still teeing off (after waiting for the group ahead to get a safe distance out). You will wait- sorry, no place to go. There certainly is that divide between muni/public and private as well- it was mentioned that at "his club", if a group is behind by 15 minutes or whatever they will get a warning. More than a couple they get banned for a few weeks. Fine, that's the way the rules are set up. BUT, If it's ONE guy in the group, and if I'm IN that group, I will be sure and let you know I will be playing. Just not with him. I wouldn't let his actions screw around with my game.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the poll, I thought I was right initially and with the results I got I feel it substantiates it. I always felt 4 1/2 hour suggested pace was only that a suggestion and not a rule I somewhat compare it to the flow of traffic on a highway just because it says 55 and everyone is going 65 do you jump into the left/passing lane and go 55, your probably going to cause an accident along with a bunch of road rage.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Well, I finally know what all the pace of play who har is about.

I used to be a member of a secluded 28 hole championship course, but it was abit too far away, and physically exhausting to play, so me and my friend joined a much cheaper, closer, public council course.

The course is actually in great condition, fun to play, but I barely ever play because you're never playing a round in under 4 hours.

Today we tried to tee off at 10:15, got to the tee, 4 women just teeing off, one guy infront of us who told us there was a 25 minute delay, so we just went home.

Maybe I expect too much in wanting <4 hour rounds everytime I play.

One thing that annoys me very much, is letting a huge number of people out on the course at once, 8 minute gaps for a 4, 45+ year old women just isn't going to work.

Well, I finally know what all the pace of play who har is about.

I used to be a member of a secluded 28 hole championship course, but it was abit too far away, and physically exhausting to play, so me and my friend joined a much cheaper, closer, public council course.

The course is actually in great condition, fun to play, but I barely ever play because you're never playing a round in under 4 hours.

Today we tried to tee off at 10:15, got to the tee, 4 women just teeing off, one guy infront of us who told us there was a 25 minute delay, so we just went home.

Maybe I expect too much in wanting <4 hour rounds everytime I play.

One thing that annoys me very much, is letting a huge number of people out on the course at once, 8 minute gaps for a 4, 45+ year old women just isn't going to work.

Are we've discussed, there are many causes for slow rounds of golf, but the worst offenders are the golf courses setting ridiculously low gap times to pack the course.

No matter how fast the individuals play, you're not going to keep people moving with 8 minute gaps, especially if they are allowed to walk.  I'd prefer 12 minute gaps but 10-11 is the minimum imo unless you want the course to look like rush hour in NY.

Joe Paradiso

Are we've discussed, there are many causes for slow rounds of golf, but the worst offenders are the golf courses setting ridiculously low gap times to pack the course.

No matter how fast the individuals play, you're not going to keep people moving with 8 minute gaps, especially if they are allowed to walk.  I'd prefer 12 minute gaps but 10-11 is the minimum imo unless you want the course to look like rush hour in NY.

This seems obvious, but have no courses ever thought about changing gaps depending on how many is in a group.

Something like 6 minutes for a single, until the next group tees off, 8 for 2 ball, 10 for 3 and 12 for 4.

It seems obvious to me, but the courses I play on sometimes don't even ask how many are playing when you book a tee time.

I don't see tee time intervals as the cause of slow play here. Most are in the 12 minute range, about the time to complete a par 4. Most if not every time I get stuck behind slow golfers the cause is mismanagement of time. The offenders are usually oblivious and do several things to be slow.

Dave :-)

I don't see tee time intervals as the cause of slow play here. Most are in the 12 minute range, about the time to complete a par 4. Most if not every time I get stuck behind slow golfers the cause is mismanagement of time. The offenders are usually oblivious and do several things to be slow.

You sure play different Colorado courses than I have.  Most public course tee times are in the 8 - 9 minute range, and the longest I've ever played is 10.  Denver courses, Foothills, South Suburban, Englewood, all are 8 - 9 minutes.  Pole Creek, Grand Elk, Keystone were all 10 minutes.  No 12 minutes in the lot.  But, 10 minutes works well.

Now that I'm out here in the boonies, you just walk up and play most weekdays.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You sure play different Colorado courses than I have.  Most public course tee times are in the 8 - 9 minute range, and the longest I've ever played is 10.  Denver courses, Foothills, South Suburban, Englewood, all are 8 - 9 minutes.  Pole Creek, Grand Elk, Keystone were all 10 minutes.  No 12 minutes in the lot.  But, 10 minutes works well.

Now that I'm out here in the boonies, you just walk up and play most weekdays.

At Coyote Creek where I've been playing most lately their weekend times are 14 minutes apart. But the times really don't mean anything. You just walk up and hit when the first tee is clear.

Dave :-)

At Coyote Creek where I've been playing most lately their weekend times are 14 minutes apart. But the times really don't mean anything. You just walk up and hit when the first tee is clear.

14 minutes?! Wow.....I only wish. Around here, 8 or 9 is normal. 10 is unusual and very generous.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Obviously there are a lot of variables, but you have to keep up with the group in front of you - I hate being backed up and seeing the offending group with hole(s) open in front of them :censored: . Most rounds I play will be between 4 and 4.5 hours depending on how busy things are. Have played in less time when conditions are right, but a round of golf shouldn't take longer than 4.5. Most courses I play are 8 minutes between tee times with rounds of 4 hours. I don't understand guys that lose it in the hay and want to search for 5 minutes. That's 5 hour round material.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• Administrator
This seems obvious, but have no courses ever thought about changing gaps depending on how many is in a group.

Something like 6 minutes for a single, until the next group tees off, 8 for 2 ball, 10 for 3 and 12 for 4.

It seems obvious to me, but the courses I play on sometimes don't even ask how many are playing when you book a tee time.

So you call and book a tee time at 3:08 a few weeks out.

You arrive and find out that your tee time is now 4:12?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Um... not a good idea.  The public courses I'm familiar with will always try to pair up short groups to make foursomes.  If I call in for a tee time and there are only two of us, they will either match us up with another twosome, or they will give us an open time, then try to add a couple of singles or another twosome to fill out the tee time.  They can't know until just before we tee off if they will have a chance to fill up a tee time - I had walk-on players come up to my starter window 10 minutes before I had an opening for them, and I just had them pay and head for the box.  Other days, I would be booked solid for 3 hours or more, with no chance to even get in one walk-on.

Trying to manage something like you suggest would be a nightmare, as Erik says.  Tee times would be jumping all over the place as players were added, or maybe as players canceled.  Maybe you have the luxury of always being in the group you reserved, no matter how small it is, but for most of the country, that isn't how it's done.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

They could be the first group out or they could be a 2-some and I'm part of a 4-some.  I try to finish in 4 hours, that is the metric our club holds the members to.  If you want to play speed golf and there's room in front of us, I'll wave you through, otherwise get an early tee time or expect a 4 hour round.

@newtogolf - do you really, really think that anything under 4 hours is "speed golf"?

Colin P.

Obviously there are a lot of variables, but you have to keep up with the group in front of you - I hate being backed up and seeing the offending group with hole(s) open in front of them . Most rounds I play will be between 4 and 4.5 hours depending on how busy things are. Have played in less time when conditions are right, but a round of golf shouldn't take longer than 4.5. Most courses I play are 8 minutes between tee times with rounds of 4 hours. I don't understand guys that lose it in the hay and want to search for 5 minutes. That's 5 hour round material.

IMHO a round of golf shouldnt take longer than 3.75 hrs.  if you dont believe me then look up how quickly they used to play on tour way back in the day.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!