IGNORED

How do you grip your putter?

Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to hold it with both hands separate from each other with my index finger on my right hand pointing down the shaft.  Ive been feeling like I can't control my takeaway with that grip.  So the last few rounds Ive been using the interlocking grip which is the same grip I use for all my full swing shots.  I stopped pointing my finger down the shaft and I feel like Im controlling my takeaway much better.  I was just wondering if interlocking your grip when you putt is something anyone else does? How does everyone else hold their putter and how did you land on the grip your using?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I putt with an interlocking, super-weak grip. I used to do the finger down the shaft thing (my father does it, so I just copied him), but my coach changed me to where I am now.

I like using the interlocking. I used the reverse overlap but I didn't like the way my hands felt.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I recently switched from 20 years of left handed putting to righty.  All shots now right handed. Now putter held tightly in left two fingers, the smallest and next. My right little finger is bent backwards onto the shaft so it touches the middle finger of left hand. Small finger of right hand totally out of play. You will be surprised how effective this can be. Grips are mostly a product of habit so to acquire new, different habit takes time and commitment.

This grip of mine, not unique at all, puts all the strength in the last fingers of left hand. My dominant hand, and eye, right so tendency to use right hand too much.  Above grip allows minimum use of right hand, which for me is preferred.

Want to try a new habit? Brush your teeth with opposite hand one time.

• Administrator

Reverse double overlap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Always been an interlocker.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't overlap or interlock and I do put my right index finger down the shaft. Don't know how good I am but there's nobody in my golfing world that I would want to putt for me.

I am using the reverse overlap, but used the interlock once yesterday when I gripped it like that by mistake... sunk the 7 footer though! I'm in a crossroads as to ifind I should move to an interlock.. most likly I will just continue as is until I have a chance to do extensive testing!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I'm not a bad putter but I don't make very many putts. It just feels comfortable the same way I hit full,half, quarter, pitch, and chip.

Interlocking with my right index finger down the shaft.  I grip firmly with the left hand and lightly with the right.

My putter is too long for me.  I'm not tall and bend over some, so my hands are down at the bottom of the grip.  I've thought about getting it cut down and maybe putting on one of those round, fat grips.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I'm in transition from long putter to short putter I been trying reverse overlap to cack hand grip Currently I like feeling the weight of the putter with my left thumb no mater which method I like having the shaft line up with the back of my right hand and/or right forearm

• Administrator

FWIW not generally a fan of "right index finger down the shaft/grip." My feeling is that it doesn't quite allow enough "float load" type action in the transition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've never really been able to figure out what works best for me. I did essay I call the baseball batters grip (I'm sure it has an official name but I can't come up with it atm). Then I did a grip like my full swing where the pinky on my trail hand rests on the pointer if my lead hand. Now I have the putter run between my thumb and pinky pads and have the pointer of my lead hand run down the shaft because Michael Breed said I won't accidentally manipulate the face of the putter. I looked on the internet a while back to see about different putting grips and IIRC, i didn't find much.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

FWIW not generally a fan of "right index finger down the shaft/grip." My feeling is that it doesn't quite allow enough "float load" type action in the transition.

When I don't have my finger down the grip it feels like I can take the putter back on a more consistent path. I was having trouble with speed yesterday but I think that had more to do with all the rain we had in the last few days.

This is my grip, a la Stan Utley.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use overlap grip just like rest of clubs, it's worked best for me. On 3 foot putts or less I use all right hand on downswing, I picture pushing the ball in the cup.

That's what I started doing was using the same grip ad all of my clubs. I really haven't had much trouble with speed it's hitting my line I have been struggling with. I don't 3 putt a lot I just feel like I should be making more 5+ footers.

Reverse double overlap.

Ditto. I use to have the typical overlap with the right finger down the right dose of the grip. The double reverse overlap really helped me with my distance control, allowing me to keep my wrist more active.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!