IGNORED

Sang-moon Bae Faces Military Duty in South Korea

jamo
Note: This thread is 2381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf is extremely important to South Korea. By extension  Bae is extremely important. With golf being an Olympic sport his participation on the SK team will be vital to their metal hopes. Where is he of most value to his country, marching around for a couple of years or representing South Korea in the Olympics while at the top of his game?

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Golf is extremely important to South Korea. By extension  Bae is extremely important. With golf being an Olympic sport his participation on the SK team will be vital to their metal hopes. Where is he of most value to his country, marching around for a couple of years or representing South Korea in the Olympics while at the top of his game? cubdog

From the last couple of reports it would seem that SK cares more about making sure they prove a point that no one is above military service and that golf takes a second seat in priorities. This goes against your statement that they really care about their medal hopes in the Olympics. Until I read otherwise, I'd have to go with the facts rather than you opinion on this!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

does he have any other recourse?  can he just stay here and apply for some kind of asylum from the US?

Asylum is not in the cards for many reasons, such as SMB already has a permanent residence card ("green card"), SMB's life is not in jeopardy, etc.

I am somewhat baffled why SMB just doesn't declare residency in the U.S. and not return to Sk and simply avoid being drafted by SK.  It is my understanding that as long as he remains a permanent resident of the US and does NOT set foot in SK, he cannot be drafted by SK.  Of course, if he does set foot in SK, he can be drafted and thrown into the service.

If he is serious about not wanting to forego his prime years in golf, I would advise him to simply avoid going back to SK altogether and apply for the US citizenship when the time comes so that he can never be drafted by SK.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

It is my understanding that as long as he remains a permanent resident of the US and does NOT set foot in SK, he cannot be drafted by SK.  Of course, if he does set foot in SK, he can be drafted and thrown into the service.

Yea, that's how it works with the U.S. The problem is, he has stated that he wants to be able to return to Korea and visit his parents and relatives, who still live there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Surprised he is not getting an exemption. It's not like other Koreans of prominence haven't been granted such exemptions. Koreans are crazy about golf and this guy is one of their very best, and also seems to be at a crucial, opportune time in his career. It is a blow to Korean golf. Oh well if it was good enough for KJ Choi and YE Yang, I think SMB can also fulfill his duties and carry on being successful. Although somewhere Seung-Yul Noh is probably freaking out right now.

I read where Mr. Noh hopes to play in the Olympics next year for S. Korea and get a medal, which he said would somehow exempt him from future service. I would think  both Bae and Noh would be good for Korea on their Olympic team next year. Well, they do what they have to do.

Fascinating that so many people who probably have never been to Korea, know almost nothing about the culture or politics of the place, have absolutely no skin in their game, seem to think that they know better than the country itself what is best for it, and that they should lecture them accordingly.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Fascinating that so many people who probably have never been to Korea, know almost nothing about the culture or politics of the place, have absolutely no skin in their game, seem to think that they know better than the country itself what is best for it, and that they should lecture them accordingly.

Bae is a public figure and this is a golf forum so of course this situation will be discussed. I'm sure my opinion will have no bearing on the outcome but should SK wish to consult me I'll gladly advise them.

Ross (aka cubdog)

I think that you need to back off a bit on trying to tell everyone how they should think or post.  I've seen this a lot lately from you.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, right or wrong, subjective or objective - that's the point of a discussion board.  You seem to have become everyone's self appointed conscience.

I doubt that more than a tiny handful of posters here have ever been to Korea, so virtually everyone is posting from what they've read or heard.  The same thing would apply to a discussion about most smaller, less visited countries.  That doesn't make the discussion or their opinions irrelevant.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Bae's certainly playing this week like someone out to prove the Korean government he's more valuable as a golfer than a soldier.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The reality is that his country is bordered by one of the most dangerous and unstable countries in the world with which they have already had one major war, and his country believes they need to be prepared to defend themselves.  I have to say it is laughable to me to think that someone should get a special exemption from what everyone else has to do because they play golf.  When did being a pro golfer become something that gets this kind of special privilege?  IMO he should fulfill his obligation, as great golfers such as Hogan and Snead did before him, or renounce his citizenship.   Sometimes we need to step outside of the golf world into the wider one.

Shin Soo Choo got out of it because he plays baseball. Apparently if you win a gold medal, you get out of it. http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=5825616&src;=desktop

Riley

Shin Soo Choo got out of it because he plays baseball. Apparently if you win a gold medal, you get out of it. http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=5825616&src;=desktop

Well , at least there is precedent in the decision by the SK government. Anything less than gold would have meant reporting for duty.. Will S Bae have that opportunity or will he have to report first?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Too bad there aren't too many gold medals to be awarded in golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2015 at 3:30 AM, saevel25 said:

If a person is a pacifist then they have a right not to want to fight. I do not think a country has a right to force a person into violence.

Perhaps in an fairy tale utopia, but many countries around the world require everyone to do military service, even if its for 6 months. Whatever sentimental "rights" you speak of, be glad you live in a country where you have those rights, but frankly 6 months of mandated military service would do this country A LOT of good. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

frankly 6 months of mandated military service would do this country A LOT of good. 

Yeah, no.

And no political conversations please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/20/2017 at 3:01 PM, mtsalmela80 said:

Whatever sentimental "rights" you speak of, be glad you live in a country where you have those rights, but frankly 6 months of mandated military service would do this country A LOT of good. 

I don't believe the following to political nor do I believe this comment breaks any forum rules:

I agree with what you said mtsalmela80.  I believe serving in your countries military is a good thing, something that will form you into a better person. 

10 minutes ago, 26point2 said:

I don't believe the following to political nor do I believe this comment breaks any forum rules:

I agree with what you said mtsalmela80.  I believe serving in your countries military is a good thing, something that will form you into a better person. 

As a retired Marine, I'm here to tell you, it's not the job of the military to turn anyone into "a better person", or worse "to help them grow up" or "learn discipline".  It's a hard enough job without having to put up with the dregs of society that would be forced upon them for a period of time under a mandated period of service.

No thank you.

Based on your avatar, I assume you spent some time in the Navy.  If you really think about it, I'm going to guess that you'll agree...

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!