IGNORED

2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My point is that he's become more like an average PGA Tour pro now, minus the 5 wins per year and all that, yet he's still scrutinized like the Tiger of old. He had 8 wins in the last 5 years, and really just in the two healthy years. Plenty of pros would love 8 wins their whole career.

Yes, but it is Tiger Woods.

He's not an average tour pro. That's the point.

You may as well say "Geez, I'd be happy with an 82!!!!!!!"

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's been a year and a half of questions with Tiger...I'm out of answers. I've kind of moved on to focusing more and more on guys like Rory and Spieth as far as the best in the game go. When Tiger shows up and starts playing well again (if that ever happens), then the conversation changes. But Tiger just needs to really dedicate a lot of time and hard work to fixing his game, and if he does that, I think things will improve. But I don't know what his drive is like anymore and whether he puts in that full effort. He's a different guy than when he was in his 20s. He is more of a family man and golf may not be his obsession like it once was.

Well, there is a small thing called injuries that Tiger suffered....

Not sure why his last year+ would be in question considering this, the guys back was shot.

Golf is really hard, you don't skip regular competitive rounds for 12 months and come back on point, it doesn't happen, it's too difficult, and then you add his age and forget about it, this is no surprise.

This tournament and the next few are just getting in shape rounds for Tiger, spring training, he doesn't care about missing the cut, he may welcome it, sure he cares about stinking out there but again, he's just trying to regain his form to compete in the majors later on.

Listening to the debate about Tiger Woods is exhausting. The binary nature of the back-and-forth argument — if he isn't the undisputed king of golf, he's completely washed up — is needlessly arbitrary. Tiger battled with an extended period of injuries and poor play before, and he climbed his way back to number one in the world. This is his essentially his first time back at competitive golf in six months, and he definitely looked a lot like the Tiger of old on the back nine yesterday. He is certainly not the game's alpha dog anymore. But this is a game that we all come back to out of the hope of replicating that one good moment they had the last time out. He shot 34 on the back nine Thursday. Is he flying back home to Florida thinking he should give the game up after an 82, or is he thinking about how he could have been in contention of kept shooting 34 for nine holes? The latter is what keeps most of us playing. It will keep Tiger playing, too.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

still at work without much online access ... can somebody explain in a sentence or two what the hell happened to him ?   Was his driver off / too many OB's, putting & chipping bad again ?   Or a combination thereof ... thanks

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

;-)

http://www.golfcentraldaily.com/2015/01/tiger-woods-sensationally-sacks-coach.html

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Listening to the debate about Tiger Woods is exhausting. The binary nature of the back-and-forth argument — if he isn't the undisputed king of golf, he's completely washed up — is needlessly arbitrary.

Tiger battled with an extended period of injuries and poor play before, and he climbed his way back to number one in the world. This is his essentially his first time back at competitive golf in six months, and he definitely looked a lot like the Tiger of old on the back nine yesterday.

He is certainly not the game's alpha dog anymore. But this is a game that we all come back to out of the hope of replicating that one good moment they had the last time out. He shot 34 on the back nine Thursday. Is he flying back home to Florida thinking he should give the game up after an 82, or is he thinking about how he could have been in contention of kept shooting 34 for nine holes? The latter is what keeps most of us playing. It will keep Tiger playing, too.

To play devil's advocate, a couple things strike me as being different. First, he's had injuries (like the one in 2008) where he's missed 8-9 months and his first tournament back was a lot better. I think he won in his 2nd stroke play event back from ACL injury in 2009. Secondly, I'm not sure he has the drive he did in the past. LIke I said above, I don't know his personal schedule, but hearing him talk, he sounds like he's much more family oriented now and golf isn't the obsession it once was. The one thing I will agree with is this injury is tough to come back from. Some guys never make it back from back surgery.

I personally think he'll bounce back and while he won't be the Tiger of even two years ago, he'll be good enough to win a tournament here or there. But it's going to be a while. I would not look for Tiger to really start contending in tournaments for at least a few more months. I think this is going to be a very long process and one in which he's going to have to battle a lot of critics because I think there's going to be some rounds in the 80s early in this process.

I hope I'm wrong. I want to see Tiger back at the top with Rory....but realistically, I don't know if that's going to happen.

So then don't bring it up at all. Listen, whether you realize it or not, Tiger's success benefits you, not just the Tour or other pros. Him doing well benefits you personally.

Sorry dude, I like golf and all but Tiger's success or failure has no impact on me in any way shape or fashion. I've been playing golf long before Tiger came along and I'll be playing long after he's done. If I worked in the golf industry in any way, then yes, you would be right.

Tiger struggled mightily today and has not been at the same level for some time. But...he just won PGA Tour player of the year ('13) and had the most wins on tour. That's only a year removed. My point is, his domination appears to be over, but one horrendous opening round in January '15 is no reason to jump off a cliff. I'll admit his grinding looks very similar to David Duval and it's shocking how he played today. When you're so high up, you have further to fall, he will bounce back.

OMG, listening to the guys on TGC talk about how it's paradise there and how it's too bad that one of the few bad weather days happened during this tournament is extremely annoying when I just got back from shoveling my driveway and the sidewalk. :pound:

STFU! :censored:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

If Phil doesn't get moving soon, I'll be out for the weekend myself. The Dubai event has the bigger names contending anyway. Just gotta deal with Mike Ritz broadcasting from Orlando, which is horrible.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Sorry dude, I like golf and all but Tiger's success or failure has no impact on me in any way shape or fashion. I've been playing golf long before Tiger came along and I'll be playing long after he's done. If I worked in the golf industry in any way, then yes, you would be right.

Tiger=money and popularity, meaning he has increased attention and cash flow to the industry. This leads to increased building of new courses, improving existing ones, companies putting more into R&D;, newer technology, new clubs and balls, more t.v.time, etc. all of which trickles down to you and me, the customer/golfer/fan. If Tiger didn't come around, golf, as it exists right now, would not look the same.

Colin P.

Tiger=money and popularity, meaning he has increased attention and cash flow to the industry. This leads to increased building of new courses, improving existing ones, companies putting more into R&D;, newer technology, new clubs and balls, more t.v.time, etc. all of which trickles down to you and me, the customer/golfer/fan. If Tiger didn't come around, golf, as it exists right now, would not look the same.

It's all doom from now on it seems for golf.. It is indeed a sad sport if courses aren't going to do any upkeeping because Tiger is over the hill.. What, did they think that Kitty I mean Tiger was going to keep winning well into his 50s and didn't plan ahead? If that his the case then they all deserve what's coming if you are right, and if not then maybe just maybe the industry will be able to make it. :) ps. As far as R&D; I'm sure everyone's pockets can take a break from buying a driver every 6 month, heck even if they came out with a driver every 3 years no one is going to complain.. Actually that would be more useful as people will start working in their swing rather than spending money in equipment they think will fix it for them!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Golf is in good hands post-Tiger. I'd guess he will remain affiliated for many years similar to Jack and Arnie. No need for panic.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Harrington whiffs left handed: https://vine.co/v/Ot5Euw3KL1T

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!