IGNORED

Davis Love III to Be Ryder Cup Captain Again

billchao
Note: This thread is 3356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/02/report-davis-love-iii-to-be-ne.html

Quote:
Davis Love III, captain of the U.S. Ryder Cup team in a losing effort at Medinah in 2012, will get a chance at redemption in 2016 at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Chaksa, Minn. Love will be the next U.S. Ryder Cup captain, according to Tim Rosaforte of Golf Digest and Golf Channel.

DLIIIRyderCuup.jpg
Davis Love III at Ryder Cup closing ceremony in 2012 (Getty Images)

The official announcement will be made Tuesday at PGA of America headquarters in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The choices seem very anticlimactic as opposed to the last cup pick.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Davis is a stand-up guy and a good man. No qualms here.The overriding issue is who will play. I like Jim Furyk, Phil, Tiger, Bubba, Hunter and the like, but don't want to see them on the team anymore. Newer, hungry, young blood, including Rickie, Jimmy W, Speith and Patrick Reed again. For older guys, I think fiery types like a Pat Perez might work out. We'll see who qualifies. I just hope the Captain's picks aren't the same old, same old.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

So, this is what The Task Force came up with??  And, DLIII is suspiciously part of the panel.  Hmm.  This will not be received very well, I don't think.

Robert Spann

:ping: :adidas: :adams: :leupold: :nike: :srixon: :nickent:

Agreed @gboroman not sure what the purpose of this move is

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I love the Ryder Cup. Could do without all the build up and hype prior to.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator

I don't get this choice at all.  I'd prefer Couples, Nelson or Azinger over Davis Love III.

Nelson's time has passed. Nobody on the team knows who he is.

Azinger would be stupid to do it again. He's seen as a god currently; he'd have next to nothing to gain.

Couples wasn't even sure he wanted to do it…

Davis had them winning big until a final-day collapse, which… you have a hard time blaming on him, so far as I can tell.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

US was up 10-6 going into Sunday singles last time Love captained. Whatever help he provided, hopefully he can do it again, get the cup back and not get destroyed in singles.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't dislike Davis; I have no idea whether he is or isn't a good captain, and it's hard for anyone outside of the team to really evaluate that fairly, but I'm disappointed a bit in that it doesn't seem to suggest they did anything to really shake things up or really implement new ideas. Maybe that's coming with the assistant captain picks and some sort of strategy that they'll use to build chemistry or whatever. But I more dislike the pick for what I think it stands for / represents. On paper he seems as good as any of the other options that were on the table.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I don't dislike Davis; I have no idea whether he is or isn't a good captain, and it's hard for anyone outside of the team to really evaluate that fairly, but I'm disappointed a bit in that it doesn't seem to suggest they did anything to really shake things up or really implement new ideas. Maybe that's coming with the assistant captain picks and some sort of strategy that they'll use to build chemistry or whatever. But I more dislike the pick for what I think it stands for / represents. On paper he seems as good as any of the other options that were on the table.

If he's a good captain (and by all accounts he was), then picking somebody less qualified, simply for the purpose of "shaking things up," doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I have a feeling that this pick had a lot to do with most of the other potential captains not wanting to take the job.

The old timers don't want to get skewered like Watson did if they were to lose again so I'm sure there were like "no thanks" and the modern potentials, Couples, Azinger probably discretely said no thanks also for many reasons.  Azinger has a legacy in 2008 that he doesn't want to ruin and Couples is a Presidents Cup Legend and has nothing to prove.

Who else is left?  Considering those circumstances, the pick makes sense to me.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

US was up 10-6 going into Sunday singles last time Love captained. Whatever help he provided, hopefully he can do it again, get the cup back and not get destroyed in singles.

This, no one HONESTLY expected the Euros to come back on Sunday. I like our chances in 2016, hopefully we have a solid team.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 3356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!