IGNORED

I'm lost, what's the deal with these Super Stroke Grips...

Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried one - the non tapered grip just felt wierd & couldn't get used to it. My fave putter grip is the Lamkin midsize by far - I'm a lousey putter, so grain of salt applies ..., I just much prefer the texture and shape

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go to a golf shop and try out some putters with the Super Stroke grips. Odyssey and TaylorMade offer SS grips.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Ideally, you'd want to try one on the putter you have now, or very similar. I was fortunate to be able to spend almost 45 minutes at a Golfsmith in Myrtle Beach, with an almost exact version of my putter (Odyssey 2 Ball) with the 3.0 installed along with my own putter. Convinced me..

I tried a Slim 3.0 at my local course last year and loved it. It was on a blade style putter similar to mine and I tried them back to back. They had none left at the pro shop but I got one as soon as I could and also cut my putter a little shorter. I use a straight back, straight through stroke and find it takes my hands out. I take a Med glove.  If I were to replace my putter I would install the same grip before leaving the store.

I went with at 3.0 last year and I love it.

Driver: ...... Ping G400 Max
Woods: ..... Ping G410 3 & 5
Hybrids: ... Titleist 818 21° & 25°
Irons: ........ Titleist 718 AP1 6 - GW
Wedges: ... Titleist Vokey ... 52° & 56°
Putter: ....... Rife 400 Mid Mallet  /  Ball: ... Snell MTB Red / Yellow

I think mine is the 3.0 too.  At least it's the next smaller one below the Fatso.  It took a little getting used to, but I really like it now.  I was never a poor putter, but I needed a new grip (the old one was hard and slick from age), so I decided to just try it.  I think it actually made me a little bit better once I got over the different feel.  At least I didn't lose any ground by changing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I really like my 1.0 that I have on my putter. I previously had a Scotty Cameron pistolero grip, so it felt really weird when I first switched. Think of the Scotty Cameron grip and the first three descriptors that enter your mind. For me those would be, tapered, firm, and (at least the one I had) plain. The Superstroke grip I installed (the U.S. Ryder Cup version) was, in this order, NOT tapered, pleasantly squishy, and excessively vibrant. The only similarity was the fact that the Superstroke was about the same diameter as the previous grip I had installed.

When I first got the grip I thought I had made a big mistake. I started pulling putts, pushing putts, leaving them short, banging them past, you name it. I blame that, however, on a squishy grip and a near death-grip on the putter. The squishy grip meant my hands never quite settled into the same spot each time with such a tight grip. Once I relaxed a little, I had better results and started putting better. Placebo effect or not, I know that the grip is at least not hurting my putting. It is, however, much more comfortable to hold than a hard rubber grip. It feels a little bit like the steering wheel of some cars: Soft to the touch with a little bit of squish, while remaining durable on the surface and firm underneath the squish.

I love my superstroke grip. I use a flatso and I just like the feel of it. I'm not all that mechanical with my putting, I'm more of a feel golfer around the greens and I just feel more comfortable with a real thick putter grip. It may quiet your wrists, especially on short putts, but it is not a fix. Just my take.

• 4 weeks later...

I know there's a thread on this already, but it seemed old. I'd like some fresh opinions on the subject. How many of you use a big putter grip (ala Super Stroke or something similar)? Did it help you?

I have a non-wristy/pendulum/upper arm type putter stroke, and while I'm far from a pro, it's never been a huge weakness for me. From all of the info I've gathered, it seems that it might be better suited for "wristy" type putters. Just want some more opinions before I even try one. Anyone putt like me and use one? (also want everyone's opinion)

- Disc Golfer

They're comfortable on my hands.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

There is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. It is encouraged.

I know there's a thread on this already, but it seemed old. I'd like some fresh opinions on the subject. How many of you use a big putter grip (ala Super Stroke or something similar)? Did it help you?

I have a non-wristy/pendulum/upper arm type putter stroke, and while I'm far from a pro, it's never been a huge weakness for me. From all of the info I've gathered, it seems that it might be better suited for "wristy" type putters. Just want some more opinions before I even try one. Anyone putt like me and use one? (also want everyone's opinion)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

"There is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread. It is encouraged."

Mods, kill this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

@WedgeHead

I moved it to this thread, which was more recent.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Take this experience for what it's worth:  My hand is a perfect medium for a golf glove.  Last season, I put a 3:0 superstroke grip on my putter.  I can't count the number of 3-5' putts I pushed to the right and MISSED last season.  Don't get me wrong, I really LIKE the grip, size and feel but it's definitely harder to rotate the putter head through the hitting area with the larger grips.

I'm taking my putter this week to have the 3.0 replaced with a 2.0.  Guess my hands aren't large enough for the 3.0.  And just so you know about those 3-5' putts--I expect to make 80+% of them on a bad day so it can't be my putting!

dave

Apparently, you are using your wrists to rotate the putter face and the oversized grip "threw" you off. In your case, it seems an oversized grip is not helpful if that is your motion.

Most gurus now advocate a stroke without active rotation where the putter face remains square to the arc. The large muscles (shoulders/back) produce the stroke, and the wrists are along for the ride.

Do not know why you went to an oversized grip -- you might a 1.0, or the old Ping blacked out grip with an extra wrap.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by boogielicious

In fact, I think this grip helps the arc stroke because it removes any twisting the hands may cause with too small a grip.

Originally Posted by rehmwa

that's what I'm hoping for.  It seems to be working very well with my fatty grip.

Confirming here now that I've found a good putting result.  Hell, it's great (for me).

Whatever I'm doing is "orders" better than every before - And this grip, I'm certain, is 90% of what I've done to take the stroke concern out of the equation and allowing me to hit my lines.  It's really night and day - I feel so confident now in the 6-8 foot range where last year, even the 4 and 5 footers were just totally scary and 'twisty'.

On the plus side :doh: , I'm now not nearly as tight hitting my iron lengths -

.........one door closes when another opens

but it's early in the season and hitting my distances was a strong point, I'll get it back - hopefully before I start hooking my hybrids.........

Bill - 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people

I have been using an Iguana jumbo grip but decided I want an oversize that's a wee bit smaller. I prefer larger than traditional but the jumbo was going a bit far for me and I put too heavy on the role.

My club is stocking the Superstroke grip range and I notice they are very popular on the tours.  Can people give me their experiences and the pros and cons please?

Many thanks.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

@Keith White

Check out the thread below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just put on a red fatso 5.0. Feel my putting has been much better. All of the guys I golf with use superstroke (all sizes) and have yet to complain. Prefer the feel compared to the Winn grips.

Note: This thread is 2894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!