IGNORED

Finchem Says Most Golf Fans Don't Want to Know About Disciplinary Actions

CarlSpackler
Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do want to know about disciplinary actions against PGA Tour players?

• Yes
    • No

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Relevant...

John Daly: Drug Testing Not Random

Keeping the disciplinary process a secret damages the tour's credibility; that's my primary concern.

Love the honesty out of JD.

Finchem is a serious dirtbag. I'm so tired of this guy.

Nah... he's just a politician.  You do a disservice to dirtbags everywhere! :smartass:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golfers, especially professional tour golfers, are put on a pedestal regarding self reported rules violations. No other sport has this requirement or expectation. Based on this alone, I would expect the professional tour golfer to meet this same expectation with rules violations and penalties that are imposed upon him when he does not self report.

Think about it. How much can you trust any player who is 'caught' breaking rules and must be disciplined, if players are expected to call themselves on all rules violations.

If Finchem wants people to praise and hold in high esteem the players who called a penalty on themselves for accidentally grounding a club in a hazard, he must also denounce players who break rules and have to be 'caught' to be disciplined.

I don't think pro golfers, or any other sports figure should be placed on any pedestal. Not anymore, and not in this day and age. I also don't think pro golfers are 100% self reporting when it comes to rules violations. I've seen too much wrong stuff done when walking at tournaments as a spectator, and/or a sign bearer. The best thing the PGA does is in  it's charity donations, and they probably wouldn't even do that if not for favorable tax regulations.  No, with all the money involved in pro sports these days, most if not all sports have become "BIG"  businesses. Pro Golf is no different. Finchem is being told what to say by those who he represents. With this particular remark, he stuck his foot in his mouth, and makes the PGA look like some wannabee secret society.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Golf is the most difficult sport on the planet. Many of the best players ever were by no means "of athletic build". Taking some powder or pill will not correct any faults. These guys have talent beyond belief. For golf I have no concerns whatsoever regarding PEDs.

Most people who know a lot more about athletics/coordination than me argue that hitting a major league fastball is the hardest feat in sports. So if PEDs can help that endeavor I can't help but think they could help someone strike a golf ball better/further (not to mention recover from injury faster). No, flat chests and sculpted guns aren't required for success in either sport (see: Ruth, Babe; Cabrera, Angel, etc.) but they sure do seem to help (see: Bonds, Sosa, etc.).

I honestly have no idea how rare or common PED use is on the tour, but by the sounds of it, the powers that be on the tour (Finchem, etc.) don't really want to know either...or at the very least, don't want us to know.

He can get away with saying stupid things like this because the bottom line when it comes to Tim Finchem is, well, the bottom line. All the players care about is if he is increasing revenue streams.

Given the Tour's non-profit status, is this accurate? I don't really know much about how that works.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Given the Tour's non-profit status, is this accurate? I don't really know much about how that works.

The more money the Tour makes, the more money they can justify paying their executives.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I don't really care if players take PED's, but more transparency is never a bad thing.

Also, Finchem must live in an alternate universe if he actually thinks that "fans don't want to know" about this kind of stuff. For a guy trying to make sure the game looks pure as the driven snow, he sure says dumb things.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Non-profit doesn't mean the business doesn't make money it just means at the end of the year, they have to spend any money they made.  In Finchem's case the more revenue he generates per tournament the larger the prize money and charitable donations, which secures his job.

Joe Paradiso

I understand Finchem's desire to protect the PGA tours "brand". He needs to be careful however not to insult the fan base. Golf fans are probably as knowledgeable and intelligent as any group of fans out there. I'm not sure what his reasoning is on this issue. Maybe he has evidence that PEDs are more common on tour than is suspected and he wants to keep that fact under wraps. I hope that's not the case.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Hell, yes, I want to know how many times Tiger Woods has been fined for his profane mouth, and how much.

Where did Finchem get this idea that we don't want to know? Did he do research, or is he being his usual self of evading the truth in ways no one can challenge?

Hell, yes, I want to know how many times Tiger Woods has been fined for his profane mouth, and how much.

Do you want to hear about the other guys on tour who are even more profane?

Colin P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

Bring it all on, but especially about He Who Must Be Worshipped.

How about just "He Who Must Be Respected" along with all the other players?  If you or I were on camera as much as Woods, I'm sure they viewing public would see things they don't like about us.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We hear enough about Patrick Reed as it is, thank you. ;-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

How about just "He Who Must Be Respected" along with all the other players?  If you or I were on camera as much as Woods, I'm sure they viewing public would see things they don't like about us.

Nah... Rec Golfer never does anything to irritate people, aside from his apparent vendetta against the GOAT.  To single out Tiger and say he's the most profane player on Tour is naive, and stretches into the realm of ignorance.  Spend some time inside the ropes like I did and you will get an education in cursing in multiple languages.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 3 weeks later...

Nah... Rec Golfer never does anything to irritate people, aside from his apparent vendetta against the GOAT.  To single out Tiger and say he's the most profane player on Tour is naive, and stretches into the realm of ignorance.  Spend some time inside the ropes like I did and you will get an education in cursing in multiple languages.

How did you do on reading comprehension tests when you were in school, FP? I never said, Tiger is the most profane player on the Tour. I just want to know how much the HWMBW has been fined, along with everybody else. But especially him.

A couple of years ago during the Masters, he was on the 18th fairway and jerked his approach shot. The camera got back to him in close-up, and I'm screaming at the set, "Turn off the microphone! Turn it off! He's going to drop an . . ." and there it came, the Tiger Woods F-bomb, as clear as Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction. I mean, how could the director not know that was coming? Or maybe he did and he wanted to capture it for all of us. I just laughed.

A couple of years ago during the Masters, he was on the 18th fairway and jerked his approach shot. The camera got back to him in close-up, and I'm screaming at the set, "Turn off the microphone! Turn it off! He's going to drop an . . ." and there it came, the Tiger Woods F-bomb, as clear as Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction. I mean, how could the director not know that was coming? Or maybe he did and he wanted to capture it for all of us. I just laughed.

And then all the flowers died and the moon exploded and apple pie stopped tasting good. Dammit, Tiger! Or life just went on as usual.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

And then all the flowers died and the moon exploded and apple pie stopped tasting good. Dammit, Tiger! Or life just went on as usual.

Pretty sure it was the first one.

I honestly get more upset by Mickelson or Spieth doing a phony "Gosh darn!" after something breaks bad. We've heard them cursing, so those just sound put on.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!