IGNORED

So, how did YOU implement Aimpoint into your average round?

Note: This thread is 3320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello there. I have been lurking since I found the site last summer, and I have picked up some really great tips from those of you who really seem to know your stuff. Thanks for the help thus far! I figured I would try my hand at stimulating some additional quality discussion here with you all. So, I have read a lot of info and suggestions from many of you supporting Aimpoint classes and the green reading techniques that they teach. Even though I have not taken the class itself, I have come across some Aimpoint charts and have a good understanding of the general techniques that they teach. One question that I have for those of you who have taken the class, is how well have you implemented these techniques into your rounds, personally? Although seemingly accurate when used correctly, it takes a fair amount of time measure everything needed and decide on a line. I hear of some that can do the whole routine quickly and accurately, while others not quite so much. I am curious to hear from those of you who have taken the course how you have implemented it. Do you use any techniques from the course at all? Do you use all of them? On all putts, or just some? Etc. Some putts seem to be easy enough to read without going through the whole technique to me. Those that I play with are quick golfers as well. Sometimes I even feel a bit bad when I slow the group up just checking my line from both sides. I just wonder how realistically I can truly implement the Aimpoint techniques into MY round, and I'm curious to hear how it has affected the way that some of YOU play golf. Cheers!

So, I have read a lot of info and suggestions from many of you supporting Aimpoint classes and the green reading techniques that they teach. Even though I have not taken the class itself, I have come across some Aimpoint charts and have a good understanding of the general techniques that they teach. One question that I have for those of you who have taken the class, is how have you implemented these techniques into your rounds, personally?

Cheers!

I recommend those who have taken aimpoint to not answer this post with anything you learned in the class.

I know this might be standoffish, BUT aimpoint makes money off their techniques and intellectual material. If I was to answer your question I would be betraying those who spent their time and effort to give me these techniques that help my game.

I highly recommend everyone to take an aimpoint class and to spend the money and support the very smart people who came up with this system. So to @ajw426 , go take a class if you want to learn the techniques used during the round.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My apologies if I am crossing the line with my question. I am not attempting to garner any info on what the techniques are themselves. Those same persons whom I acquired the charts from have taken the class themselves and have explained to me everything that they learned. If you all feel that in answering my question you are betraying their info, them I guess I didn't word myself correctly or think my questions through thoroughly. After hearing your response I don't disagree with it. I was simply lookingood to start a discussion on whether or not you have implemented the techniques, not what those techniques are. I have edited my initial post slightly to reflect this.

• Administrator
I recommend those who have taken aimpoint to not answer this post with anything you learned in the class.  I know this might be standoffish, BUT aimpoint makes money off their techniques and intellectual material. If I was to answer your question I would be betraying those who spent their time and effort to give me these techniques that help my game.  I highly recommend everyone to take an aimpoint class and to spend the money and support the very smart people who came up with this system. So to @ajw426 , go take a class if you want to learn the techniques used during the round.

I'll second that and just add one thing; AimPoint is a [i]faster way to read putts. Much faster than looking from both sides.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

After hearing your response I don't disagree with it. I was simply lookingood to start a discussion on whether or not you have implemented the techniques, not what those techniques are. I have edited my initial post slightly to reflect this.

I still recommend go take a class. A good instructor will have little extra tidbits of information and can really show you what the system is all about. Knowing the system really helps.

As for the techniques. I will say I use pretty much all the techniques I was taught in the class. They just work. I will say this is a golf technique and as such needs to be practice. Your ability to use aimpoint will degrade over time if not maintained. For me that might be working on it once a week. I usually go through the progressions on the putting green before the round, so like 10-15 minutes. It is pretty low key in terms of technical difficulty. I think the hardest part is just being committed after that first lesson to really hone the skill. I think people end up thinking they nailed it because they are supervised then don't spend the time to really keep the skill at a top level. Still, once you learn the techniques it is something that is easily maintained.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Also, I appreciate that their knowledge and information is their worth (meaning Aimpoint). I learned about the system from those friends by playing alongside them multiple times. This was the first time that I had ever heard of such a system/company. I learned of it without giving them a penny, and I will not likely go back and take the course or compensate them financially as I don't use the techniques myself other than on the practice green. I am all for allowing those who provide great quality information to be compensated financially for such deeds. In fact, I am stunned at the amazing information available on this website and am making an attempt (starting conversation, purchasing the book, and even will be making cash donations if possible if/when I start my swing page) to give back to the wonderful people/creators of this site. If, even still, others are in agreement that the idea behind my discussion is inappropriate, then by all means this thread should simply be removed and no offense will be taken. I am really just attempting to help and contribute in response to all that I have gained from the people here in a short time.

OP, take an Aimpoint class - you WILL NOT regret it. Also, second the comment about it actually being FASTER than how many people read greens, especially those like you that read from both sides of the hole. Good luck!!

I still recommend go take a class. A good instructor will have little extra tidbits of information and can really show you what the system is all about. Knowing the system really helps.  As for the techniques. I will say I use pretty much all the techniques I was taught in the class. They just work. I will say this is a golf technique and as such needs to be practice. Your ability to use aimpoint will degrade over time if not maintained. For me that might be working on it once a week. I usually go through the progressions on the putting green before the round, so like 10-15 minutes. It is pretty low key in terms of technical difficulty. I think the hardest part is just being committed after that first lesson to really hone the skill. I think people end up thinking they nailed it because they are supervised then don't spend the time to really keep the skill at a top level. Still, once you learn the techniques it is something that is easily maintained.

Awesome, that type of response is what I was curious to hear. Also, interesting that for you guys it is actually a faster way to read greens. Seems that it is 3/3 in the category of using it fully and quickly thus far. I am curious to hear if anyone has had difficulty implementing it.

Awesome, that type of response is what I was curious to hear. Also, interesting that for you guys it is actually a faster way to read greens. Seems that it is 3/3 in the category of using it fully and quickly thus far. I am curious to hear if anyone has had difficulty implementing it.

A class isn't too expensive AND most instructors will allow you to retake that same class for free (if you ever felt you wanted or needed to). It's very worth it. :)

Put me in the "it's faster" camp, as well. Often, I'll make my read before it's my turn to putt. When I'm up, I simply place my ball, pick my line, and putt. It can look like I didn't even bother reading at all.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I wonder who on the pro tour uses aim point...?

Quite a few. Adam Scott immediately comes to mind. I believe Hunter Mahan as well?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Scott, Poulter, Mahan, Dufner, Ko, Stacey Lewis.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Their website has the list ... and its a long list.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Hmmm, only two places offer clinics in my area, and both are Members Only locations.

Also, this is aimpointgolf, not aimpoint (firearms scope), so a link to the aimpointgolf site might help this discussion.

Oh well.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Their website has the list ... and its a long list.

And the ones using the midpoint method are not even noticed as doing it. :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

And the ones using the midpoint method are not even noticed as doing it.

Yup.  Midpoint is also subtle enough that you're never likely to get bugged with questions from strangers.  I like that.  I don't look forward to the questions when people see me "copying" Adam Scott et. al.

Yup.  Midpoint is also subtle enough that you're never likely to get bugged with questions from strangers.  I like that.  I don't look forward to the questions when people see me "copying" Adam Scott et. al.

Just tell them you putt better than (insert professional golfer's name here). Then you better hope you make the putt :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3320 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!