IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't recall ever seeing so many three putts and missed putts inside of four feet at a pga tournament. Does anyone have stats on that? The fairways seemed to create pretty random results. Two drives that look perfect, one rolls to the other side of the fairway and into a bunker, the next one stops right near the edge for a perfect lie. The luck of the roll was a bigger factor in this tournament than any tournament I can recall seeing.

You might be right. We probably have stats somewhere regarding this..... But even if you are right, I think skill still carries the day. It is easy to look at bad bounces and wiggling putts and conclude things are "random". But I would wager heavily that balls hit online still gave good results most of the time, and offline shots yielded bad results most of the time. In the proper proportion. I also like it when there is a bit of randomness to it. This isn't billiards. It's an outdoor sport played on a field on which the rules place very few restrictions. It was how it should be I think, more so than the type of U.S. Open set up I remember from the 1980s.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not my point at all.

The USGA has always converted par 5's to longer par 4's. THAT is not a problem, but they keep the par the same throughout the tournament.

Changing par from round to round is just plain silly in my opinion. That's all.

As far as just saying then its the total score that counts, not the individual par per hole, then no player would make a birdie, or eagle, it would be just the number.

I still feel the USGA tried their best(?) to create the ultimate test and failed.

The USGA has always converted par 5's to longer par 4's. THAT is not a problem, but they keep the par the same throughout the tournament.

Changing par from round to round is just plain silly in my opinion. That's all.

I think it's fair to point out, somewhat in their defense though, that originally the talk was to do the gimmick the whole tournament - to alternate back and forth each day.

The players and analysts were pretty vocal about how silly 18 was as a 4 on Friday, and then on Sunday they didn't try it again.

So isn't it entirely possible that Mike Davis tried it Friday, but then realized it was a mistake, and then learned from it and didn't try it a second time?

And if that is true, then the USGA deserves a pat on the back for thinking on their feet and being flexible, because that hole as a par 5 on Sunday helped make the tournament as memorable as it was.

As far as the putting goes...It seemed evident to me that people that had uphill or level putts that they could or were more aggressive with got the ball rolling better and the putts held the lines better.  If you had to baby one down a hill with no speed then the bumps played a bigger role.  Watching Louie that last few days he was hitting in close in the right spots and just ramming the putts home.  I wish we could have seen more of his play, it was really impressive not counting the first round...

Bumpy and slow is fine.  The problem is when the greens get bumpy and fast.  You need to hit them in firm, but if you do... they are 10ft. past.

That being said... suck it up and just play the course.

I gained respect for Sneds and lost some for Billy Ho.

I got money on Louis O at 35/1 for The Open yesterday versus 4/1 Rory and 6/1 Spieth. Couldn't pass that up.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I got money on Louis O at 35/1 for The Open yesterday versus 4/1 Rory and 6/1 Spieth. Couldn't pass that up.

I don't know if Louis is going to get as fortunate with the tee times this go around as he did last time. Going to be tough to repeat that performance. I really want to put a lot on Rory as I think he is going to destroy that place, but 4/1 is really not much of a bargain and I really want to hold off until I see the weather forecast. The wind can derail him as it did last time. As far as Jordan, I don't like the fact he's playing the John Deere the week before. I put money on him at Augusta and Chambers Bay as I liked his chances in both those majors. I don't like his chances as much at St. Andrew's. Going to be more of a challenge for him, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him in contention...just not winning it. It would not surprise me one bit if Rory takes the final two majors and then 6 majors in a row would be won by these two players. Rory played outstanding at Whistling Straits in 2010 and nearly won.

I don't know if Louis is going to get as fortunate with the tee times this go around as he did last time. Going to be tough to repeat that performance. I really want to put a lot on Rory as I think he is going to destroy that place, but 4/1 is really not much of a bargain and I really want to hold off until I see the weather forecast. The wind can derail him as it did last time.

As far as Jordan, I don't like the fact he's playing the John Deere the week before. I put money on him at Augusta and Chambers Bay as I liked his chances in both those majors. I don't like his chances as much at St. Andrew's. Going to be more of a challenge for him, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him in contention...just not winning it. It would not surprise me one bit if Rory takes the final two majors and then 6 majors in a row would be won by these two players. Rory played outstanding at Whistling Straits in 2010 and nearly won.

I like Adam Scott's backdoor 64 yesterday. I like him to compete for the Open that he choked on a few years ago. And I like Rory for Whistling.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

That was definitely a pitch mark. Poa annua doesn't pop a ball a foot in the air. They keep showing that highlight though.

Brad Faxon said, on a Boston Radio station,  that there was a pebble imbedded in the green nobody saw.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

I like Adam Scott's backdoor 64 yesterday. I like him to compete for the Open that he choked on a few years ago. And I like Rory for Whistling.

If Stevie's caddying for him, then yeah, I think he'll compete. If he's not, he'll miss the cut.

I don't know if Louis is going to get as fortunate with the tee times this go around as he did last time. Going to be tough to repeat that performance. I really want to put a lot on Rory as I think he is going to destroy that place, but 4/1 is really not much of a bargain and I really want to hold off until I see the weather forecast. The wind can derail him as it did last time.

Lucky I don't bet. It's getting harder and harder to think Rory will go this year with out a Major. Some instances he just looks ready to demolish the field. If the weather behaves for the most part I can see him blitzing the field. If they get two days of good weather he might just bury the field to where he can just play par golf the rest of the way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!