IGNORED

Drought in California

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is one of my favorite albeit wacky drought sensitive courses. "The Goat"

http://www.goathillpark.com/

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I think it's a great idea -- water preservation is making us re-think where we need the water --  tee box, fairways and greens

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's a great idea -- water preservation is making us re-think where we need the water --  tee box, fairways and greens

Agreed. As long as they have beer I'm OK with  without water.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

We just passed the reservoir on the 152 going past Gilroy to visit family in San Jose. It looks in a lot better shape than the last time I was up here. Same with Pyramid lake, it's pretty full. Tejon is bone dry. . .though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think the contrast looks nice at Mike's course. Maybe it will last even when the drought is over?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think the contrast looks nice at Mike's course. Maybe it will last even when the drought is over?

San Diego has large scale desalinization, like we should have in the rest of our state.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah it's here to stay. It was done because several holes on the front nine use city water while most of the course is on well water. The money to pay for it came from a grant so it didn't cost the club anything. It also looks better than what was there before.

San Diego has large scale desalinization, like we should have in the rest of our state.

I've heard the cons of the desalination is that it's expensive and we have to figure out what to do with brine that's left over. Long term I just hope we do a better job of capturing the water that we get when it rains.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/81830/drought-in-california/18#post_1164223"] I think the contrast looks nice at Mike's course. Maybe it will last even when the drought is over?[/QUOTE] Yeah it's here to stay. It was done because several holes on the front nine use city water while most of the course is on well water. The money to pay for it came from a grant so it didn't cost the club anything. It also looks better than what was there before. [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/81830/drought-in-california/18#post_1164232"] San Diego has large scale desalinization, like we should have in the rest of our state.[/QUOTE] I've heard the cons of the desalination is that it's expensive and we have to figure out what to do with brine that's left over. Long term I just hope we do a better job of capturing the water that we get when it rains.

The brine can be placed in the salt flats of Trono. Solar desalinization is a lot cheaper than RO. Pros outweigh the cons partly because we expect even more dry weather for the next few decades as the planet goes through changes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My home course took the initiative last year by cutting water use by up to 40%

http://www.thepress.net/news/antioch/article_dac44e24-023d-11e4-875a-001a4bcf6878.html

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Fresh water is going to be a problem around the globe.

Since the US Open we've had 16 straight days over 85 degrees, most of them over 90 with no let up in sight. Consider our normal is 5 days for the entire summer.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

In St. Louis area we're having the opposite problem. We got 7 inches of rain in June, and Fourth of July is the first weekend in the last nine we didn't have at least a little rain. Some area towns have had flooding problems.

My lawn got a "deep rough" look a couple of times because it was too wet to mow. I have a riding mower, and didn't want to rut the yard. I wish I could send a couple of inches west to California. I loved the golf courses when I lived out there, and it's painful to hear they're burning up.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I wish I could send a couple of inches west to California. I loved the golf courses when I lived out there, and it's painful to hear they're burning up.

We wish you could too!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

shame its so regional ... I'd gladly give you west coast guys all the rain we've gotten over here ... I've been rained out 4 league weeks in a row - constant rain, thunderstorms over here - SUCKS for golf.   Played last Friday morning out of spite & it was the most miserable sloppy mess I've ever seen - cart was getting stuck practically every hole.    I was getting so much backsplash on fairway iron shots - I looked like that guy in the "some love" TV commercial.

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Please send us some here in Washington....You would have thought this was Scottsdale or something...high 90's to low 100's everyday for it seems like forever.....

Ok, this drought in CA is slowly but surely convincing me to install artificial turf green on my back yard.   Time to tear down the lawn to save water B-) .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My front lawn is well... dead :-(

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!