IGNORED

Dustin Johnson Thinks the Chambers Bay Greens Cost Him the U.S. Open

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think Dustin Johnson's four-foot putt bounced and kicked left?

• Yes
    • No, he pulled it/mis-read it

A golfer can never blame what happens with their game on the golf course. Good, or bad, it's never the courses fault. They can't even blame their tools (equipment) on a good, or bad scenario.

Some days I like where I hit/roll the ball. Other days I hate it when the ball goes where I hit/rolled it.

I have seen it where the golfer got really lucky, and I have seen it where the golfer has been very unlucky.

In DJ's case "HE"  lost the tournament by not rolling  the ball correctly on that one of those putts. He played the other 71 holes well enough to put himself in a great position to win. He just didn't close the deal.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DJ makes putts in the 3' - 5' ranges 86% of the time.  The greens weren't in great condition but if you look at the replay he slightly pulled the putt which he did on a few other putts earlier in the round.

Joe Paradiso

His quote is kind of riding the fence, he admits he "may" have pulled it, which he did and everyone agrees, but he also thinks the ball moved, and it may have a touch, but man up DJ, you pulled the damn putt just like the other five you pulled that day, you lost because you're putting was not great that day, and with Jordan right there you needed to make those strokes every time.

I think he pulled it. He got tentative on a number of putts after it looked like he was on cruise control through the front nine. Pressure got to him, IMO.

But it doesn't mean the greens didn't suck. I know all about poa annua but, around here, it flowers in early spring. Too bad it had to raise its ugly head in a US Open.

Bill M

Too hard for me to tell on that video, maybe it moved but can't tell because of the shade.

He played a lot of greens as did all the players.  It doesn't make sense to blame it on that one green.  Whether he had worse luck with bad rolls than the others in the top ten over the whole tournament, impossible to know.

I think he pulled it. It missed low all the way.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Too hard for me to tell on that video, maybe it moved but can't tell because of the shade.

He played a lot of greens as did all the players.  It doesn't make sense to blame it on that one green.  Whether he had worse luck with bad rolls than the others in the top ten over the whole tournament, impossible to know.

Look at his head in the video. That gives one a hint that it's a pull.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

IMO, DJ should show some class and admit that he didn't with the US Open because of his performance.  The bottom line is, Spieth putted on the same 18th green and came up with a birdie and DJ 3-putted, end of story.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

IMO, DJ should show some class and admit that he didn't with the US Open because of his performance.  The bottom line is, Spieth putted on the same 18th green and came up with a birdie and DJ 3-putted, end of story.

Come on now, be fair.  Talking about the "waaahmbulance" and asking him to "show some class" implies that he's crying and somehow NOT showing class.  He answered a question posed to him in his post-round interview and, as far as I know, hasn't said anything about it since.  In fact, the only other things he has said that I've read were:

Quote:
"I'm proud of the way I played and I'm most proud of my family," Johnson said outside the locker room. "So I did get to hold up my trophy at the end of the day, which is my son."

That sound like crying or lacking class to anybody else?  Because it sure doesn't to me.

I believe that your comments would be appropriate if directed at Billy Horschel or Ian Poulter, but not DJ.

Come on now, be fair.  Talking about the "waaahmbulance" and asking him to "show some class" implies that he's crying and somehow NOT showing class.  He answered a question posed to him in his post-round interview and, as far as I know, hasn't said anything about it since.  In fact, the only other things he has said that I've read were:

That sound like crying or lacking class to anybody else?  Because it sure doesn't to me.

I believe that your comments would be appropriate if directed at Billy Horschel or Ian Poulter, but not DJ.

You make it seem that because someone is asked a question that they can't be whining or not showing some class.

Presuming he did it intentionally, he could have started showing some class by shaking Mike Davis's hand and not walk right by him.  And when posed the question, he could have answered with something like, "I just didn't make the putt and should have done better," instead of blaming it on the course conditions.  If he hasn't said anything since is pretty irrelevant, IMO.

I will agree that my comments are also appropriate to Billy Horschel (which, IIRC, I did in a previous post in that thread) or Ian Poulter.

Christian

I think there's a rush to pile on players who complain, and that's unfortunate. They're allowed to do so, and there was probably a lot of genuine frustration behind those remarks. We all complain about our working conditions and wish they would be more favorable; doesn't mean that they need to be drug through the mud every time.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I think there's a rush to pile on players who complain, and that's unfortunate. They're allowed to do so, and there was probably a lot of genuine frustration behind those remarks. We all complain about our working conditions and wish they would be more favorable; doesn't mean that they need to be drug through the mud every time.

Right.  And perhaps DJ really did believe that he hit the putt how he wanted to.  It was right after the round, he probably hadn't had a chance to analyze his own replay 50 zillion times.  What's he supposed to say if he truly believes that he hit it where he meant to and thought it bounced?  Are we now advocating that he lie to us and tell us he thought he made a poor putt when he actually thought he made a good putt?  Is that what its come to now?

All famous people must be 100% infallible and say exactly what I want them to say all of the time and do exactly what I would do 100% of the time, and if they don't then they are OBVIOUSLY horrible, horrible, whiny, classless people.

Right.  And perhaps DJ really did believe that he hit the putt how he wanted to.  It was right after the round, he probably hadn't had a chance to analyze his own replay 50 zillion times.  What's he supposed to say if he truly believes that he hit it where he meant to and thought it bounced?  Are we now advocating that he lie to us and tell us he thought he made a poor putt when he actually thought he made a good putt?  Is that what its come to now?

All famous people must be 100% infallible and say exactly what I want them to say all of the time and do exactly what I would do 100% of the time, and if they don't then they are OBVIOUSLY horrible, horrible, whiny, classless people.

Now that you put it that way... The classless ones are those that pile on the celebrities when the don't say exactly what they want them to say all of the time and do exactly what the want them to do 100% of the time

It's getting hot in here... really hot in here...

I like it when guys show their personality or grumbling. At least it's revealing. Better than the corporate speak we usually get.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

By no means am I going to say that they don't have the right to say whatever they want nor do I believe anyone here suggesting that, either.  However, unlike most of us who aren't in the media spotlight, whether it's right or wrong, or someone likes or dislikes it, what they say is more apt to be commented on because they are in the spotlight.
For the most part, I'm pretty turned off by people who complain about their work conditions and I'm more turned off and likely to comment about it when we're talking about highly successful athletes or media personalities.

Well, that's where you and I differ about the handle those situations.  He's not a kid.  He's in and around 30 years old and what I would have liked to hear was that which I suggested.  I appreciate and think it was a great comment he made about his kid and, yes, and I'm not suggesting he give a company line.  I would have liked him to show some class and believe that he just didn't step up to the plate when the game was on the line rather than throw some of the blame elsewhere.  That comes naturally to some people, others, not.

Now that you put it that way... The classless ones are those that pile on the celebrities when the don't say exactly what they want them to say all of the time and do exactly what the want them to do 100% of the time

Christian

@RFKFREAK I apologize, I was pretty out of line as that appeared to be pointed directly at you (although I meant it in general and not specifically at you). Classless was an ad hominem and way to strong of a word.

Internet forums are a great place to speak ones mind, just as you did.

Well, that's where you and I differ about the handle those situations.  He's not a kid.  He's in and around 30 years old and what I would have liked to hear was that which I suggested.  I appreciate and think it was a great comment he made about his kid and, yes, and I'm not suggesting he give a company line.  I would have liked him to show some class and believe that he just didn't step up to the plate when the game was on the line rather than throw some of the blame elsewhere.  That comes naturally to some people, others, not.

Yup, we definitely differ here.  It's basically the same argument as with Patrick Reed and his "Top 5" comments.  Guy said something once, and gets continually chastised for it for hours and days on end despite it being, in both cases:

A)  An answer to a reporters question.

B)  Something he likely truly believes.

C)  People seem to tend to forget that these celebrities are still normal human beings, they aren't robots.

Nothing he said was rude or insulting and it sounds (on paper, I didn't actually hear it) pretty genuine.  Hell, he even admitted that he might have pushed the putt.  So he said what he believed AND admitted that what he believed was possibly not accurate.  For the life of me, I can't understand how you can criticize him for crying and lacking class, based off of that.

Note: This thread is 3226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!