IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bill Murray, this drive's for you Minnesota, blocks it right big time, more like Wisconsin.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, onkey said:

We obviously saw this differently.  I think Chamblee came off looking like the fool.  Chamblee was laying all the blame on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, Duval was saying that it came down to the play of all--including himself.  Duvall was also explaining that matches can come down to something as unexpected as holing out from 30 yards from heavy rough. 

I'm with Chamblee on this.  Duval was defensive because Chamblee was essentially saying that the team leaders through the late 90s and early oughts were apathetic about the Ryder Cup.  Duval was chief among them, he griped about not being paid.  

I think Phil and Tiger have changed their tune now, owing probably to the fact that the US has been dominated recently but also I think the young guns attitudes about it, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, has created more enthusiasm in them as well.  

But I believe that back in the day, the Ryder Cup really didn't inspire them very much and it showed in their results.  I think BC nailed it.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

34 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I'm with Chamblee on this.  Duval was defensive because Chamblee was essentially saying that the team leaders through the late 90s and early oughts were apathetic about the Ryder Cup.  Duval was chief among them, he griped about not being paid.  

I think Phil and Tiger have changed their tune now, owing probably to the fact that the US has been dominated recently but also I think the young guns attitudes about it, Spieth, Reed, Fowler, has created more enthusiasm in them as well.  

But I believe that back in the day, the Ryder Cup really didn't inspire them very much and it showed in their results.  I think BC nailed it.

These guys haven't gotten to where they are without being ultra-competitive.  I don't think the lack of money had any real effect on their desire to win.

Randal

I agree with Chamblee for the most part- the apathy towards the event from the US squad over the last two decades seemed to  emanate from Phil and Tiger and spread down from them. The failed teams needed passion and leadership from them and they just never quite got it IMO. That's not to say that plenty of others aren't to 'blame' as well.

That said, it's great to see Tiger and Phil seemingly 100% invested and excited about the event now. Better late than never and I think their engagement this time as well as the enthusiasm that the younger guys (Spieth, Reed, Fowler, etc.) have for the event is going to generate some positive results.

I'm with Duval on this.  It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).  These guys are professionals, they don't need "leadership" or "motivation" ... they need to play well and make putts.

• Upvote 1

On another note, when is the PGA going to wake up to picking US venues that may favor the American squad a little more from a weather standpoint? Basically the entire team lives in South Florida and very rarely play in cool temps and yet the PGA seems hell bent on putting the Ryder Cup in the Northern edges of the country in October- Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin (2020). Fortunately the forecast is looking decent this weekend but the morning rounds will still be played with temps in the 50s- IMO this favors the Euros who play in that kind of weather more routinely.

• Upvote 4

• Administrator

I agree with the below.

4 hours ago, onkey said:

We obviously saw this differently.  I think Chamblee came off looking like the fool.  Chamblee was laying all the blame on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, Duval was saying that it came down to the play of all--including himself.  Duvall was also explaining that matches can come down to something as unexpected as holing out from 30 yards from heavy rough. 

Chamblee came off looking stupid.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm with Duval on this.  It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).  These guys are professionals, they don't need "leadership" or "motivation" ... they need to play well and make putts.

Duval didn't say that. He said they lost because of captains and freak execution by the Euros, and that he understood the feeling in that competition. That's legitimate for small sample size, but not over 20 years. 

I caught it after it started, so I'm not sure what his initial point was about enthusiasm. So, when did it kick in, 1999? Everybody sure did look enthused there.

His point was the leaders of the US team haven't performed to their ability, and that has emanated through the rest of the team. There is no reason people like Ian Poulter should have a better record than TW or PM over this large of sample size.

If pointing records out makes him look foolish, then so be it. 

54 minutes ago, Chris E said:

Duval didn't say that. He said they lost because of captains and freak execution by the Euros, and that he understood the feeling in that competition. That's legitimate for small sample size, but not over 20 years. 

I caught it after it started, so I'm not sure what his initial point was about enthusiasm. So, when did it kick in, 1999? Everybody sure did look enthused there.

His point was the leaders of the US team haven't performed to their ability, and that has emanated through the rest of the team. There is no reason people like Ian Poulter should have a better record than TW or PM over this large of sample size.

If pointing records out makes him look foolish, then so be it. 

I think I may have thrown you off with this part:

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's golf, not football.  It's not like the intensity matters to hitting good golf shots (and, in fact, one could argue that it could be a detriment).

Yeah, he didn't say that.  But that is what I think of when Chamblee says that it's about leadership.  What does that even mean?  To me, it means providing motivation and intensity and heart ... all of the stuff that might help a high school football team, but stuff that professional golfers don't need.  They need to hit good shots and make putts ... which is precisely what Duval said.

I didn't think this was appropriate to put in the Contest thread, but I predicted that the Ryder Cup will end in eerily similar fashion to the 2015 Newport Cup, with the eldest Euro chipping in on the 18th, to win his match and halve the overall Cup.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

58 minutes ago, skydog said:

Here's the juicy part, Lego Man hair, concealed-carry compensators, lol.

For the Americans to stand a chance of winning, they need their baying mob of imbeciles to caress their egos every step of the way. Like one of those brainless bastards from your childhood, the one that pulled down your shorts during the school’s Christmas assembly (f**k you, Paul Jennings), they only have the courage to keg you if they’re backed up by a giggling group of reprobates. Team Europe needs to shut those groupies up.

They need to silence the pudgy, basement-dwelling, irritants, stuffed on cookie dough and pissy beer, pausing between mouthfuls of hotdog so they can scream ‘Baba booey’ until their jelly faces turn red.

They need to stun the angry, unwashed, Make America Great Again swarm, desperately gripping their concealed-carry compensators and belting out a mini-erection inducing ‘mashed potato,’ hoping to impress their cousin.

They need to smash the obnoxious dads, with their shiny teeth, Lego man hair, medicated ex-wives, and resentful children. Squeezed into their cargo shorts and boating shoes, they’ll bellow ‘get in the hole’ whilst high-fiving all the other members of the Dentists’ Big Game Hunt Society.

• Upvote 1

Steve

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Here's the juicy part, Lego Man hair, concealed-carry compensators, lol.

This article is eerily similar to one of @Ernest Jones regular posts on this site.  ;-)

No offense taken by me, it's funny shit.  I'm not sure brother Danny is crazy about him writing it, however.  Does put a bit of extra pressure on him cuz some won't take this in the same spirit I do.

• Upvote 2

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Captain Clarke does not approve:

The look of anger on Clarke’s face told the whole story. This was the last thing he needed as he sets out to try to win the Ryder Cup for Europe for a fourth consecutive time.

“I was made aware of the article about an hour ago,” Clarke said. “I showed it to Danny and he’s bitterly disappointed in his brother’s article. It’s not what Danny thinks. It’s not what I think. It’s not what Team Europe stands for.

“That is not the way we view things. The fans could not have been nicer and better to us this week. The article was beyond our control.

http://golfweek.com/2016/09/28/ryder-cup-danny-willett-brother-american-fan-comments-darren-clarke-response-captain/

Steve

1 hour ago, skydog said:

Hey screw that guy - I don't even own any boat shoes ;-)

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 2727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!