IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So with the Brexit I am assuming the UK will go it alone against the US from now on, correct? :-P

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

So with the Brexit I am assuming the UK will go it alone against the US from now on, correct? :-P

The U.K. is no longer part of Europe, so it's more like the Spaniards, Swedes, and Irish will have to carry on without British help.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

19 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

The U.K. is no longer part of Europe, so it's more like the Spaniards, Swedes, and Irish will have to carry on without British help.

The original Ryder Cup just the UK. 

http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/history/

There were two unofficial matches between professionals from Great Britain and the United States before the birth of The Ryder Cup in 1927, both won by the British.

The first was played at Gleneagles in 1921 but the second of these, held at Wentworth in 1926, was undoubtedly the most significant for among those in the gallery was a man called Samuel Ryder.

Ryder was an English seed merchant and entrepreneur from St Albans in Hertfordshire who made his money selling penny seed packets. He had taken up golf relatively late in life to improve his health and employed Abe Mitchell, one of the golfing greats of his era, as his personal tutor. 

Ryder was enthralled by the match at Wentworth, and particularly delighted to see Mitchell team up with George Duncan to defeat the defending Open Champion Jim Barnes and the great Walter Hagen. ‘We must do this again’, said Ryder in the bar afterwards and The Ryder Cup was born. 

Read more at http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/history/#iOvBKe6Y2oHKooIU.99

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

50 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Technically that's not correct.. They are still part of Europe, but they will not be part of the EU once article 50 is invoked and they exit within the two year negotiation period.  The Ryder cup was around before the EU was formed wasn't it?

• Upvote 3

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

On January 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM, natureboy said:

Interesting podcast with Paul Goydos about Ryder Cup (begins at 29:20): http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/podcast-paul-goydos-living-good-life-champions-tour?xid=golf_social

Basically, he argues that U.S. team's primary disadvantage overseas is due to the European team picking courses that are regularly played by their pros (and almost none by U.S. players). To him it comes down to familiarity / comfort with your surroundings. He argues this small advantage translates to the edge of a few shots / putts made that make the difference between two teams very close in skill. He thinks TPC Scottsdale would be a good example of a good course for the U.S. team. Courses like Whistling Straits, where top European players have a comparable amount of experience / success to the whole of the U.S. team would not be ideal venues.

Does he have a good point?

Interesting idea. In 2014 it was played at Gleneagles which is regularly played since 1999 on the European Tour. But the 2010 course at Celtic Manor was only played once as the Wales Open. Then you need to go back to the 2006 played at the K Club which you could argue is played on the European tour fairly regularly. 

So it could be a decent argument except 2010. That was basically an unknown to both of them. No edge to give there, and the result was really really close. Save a Hunter Mahan flubbed chip they US might have won. 

Certainly something to think about.

Michael

On 6/24/2016 at 5:11 PM, Abu3baid said:

The Ryder cup was around before the EU was formed wasn't it?

Yes, it was. And it will be around long after the EU.

The EU is a political and economical callaboration. UK obvisouly is still in Europe, it's not like the island drifted away and is now in front of the African coast.

Anyway, looking forward to the Ryder Cup. For me the most exciting golf match to watch. Europe never won four times in a row before, so they might make history in September. On the other hand, for the concept itself it might be good if USA wins. Beautiful course and hope so see some dramatic golf.

• Upvote 2

~Jorrit

European team as it stands.

Mcilroy

Willett

Wood

Fitzpatrick

Stenson 

Garcia

Rose

Cabrera Bello

Sullivan

+ 3 captains picks,...favorites at the moment IMO, Westwood,Dubuisson,Lowery.

Here's a stab at the US team.

Spieth

D Johnson

Z Johnson

Bubba

Fowler

Koepka

Mickelson

Snedeker.

Davis Love gets 4 picks....maybe,Reed,Kuchar,Berger,Furyk

Honestly, to me and in my very humble opinion the Ryder is one of the most overrated events of the golf world. Both sides get so worked up and patriotism/jingoism/nationalism always puts a horrible taste in my mouth. Actually, it seems the Americans get more worked up and get tight, the Euros play fast and loose, to their respective detriment and benefit. I almost get a kick out of the Muricans losing and taking it so hard. Oh well, I'll end up watching only because I'm a golf nut.

Colin P.

On 27-6-2016 at 11:51 AM, Scotsclaff said:

European team as it stands.

Mcilroy

Willett

Wood

Fitzpatrick

Stenson 

Garcia

Rose

Cabrera Bello

Sullivan

+ 3 captains picks,...favorites at the moment IMO, Westwood,Dubuisson,Lowery.

Here's a stab at the US team.

Spieth

D Johnson

Z Johnson

Bubba

Fowler

Koepka

Mickelson

Snedeker.

Davis Love gets 4 picks....maybe,Reed,Kuchar,Berger,Furyk

I'm surprised Lowry isn't inside the straight qualifiers yet, but yea: he should absolutely have a wild card then. Anyway a lot can change in the next few weeks with a WGC, The Open and Open de France (double points) coming up. Shortly after that the PGA Championship also.

~Jorrit

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:19 PM, Chilli Dipper said:

51st state: Puerto Rico

52nd: England

53rd: Scotland

54th: Wales

55th: Northern Ireland

That would keep us at a nice, convenient number, and ensure future Ryder Cup dominance!

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 minutes ago, jamo said:

51st state: Puerto Rico

52nd: England

53rd: Scotland

54th: Wales

55th: Northern Ireland

That would keep us at a nice, convenient number, and ensure future Ryder Cup dominance!

Would also make it easy to revise the flag. :beer:

On 6/24/2016 at 5:56 PM, mchepp said:

Interesting idea. In 2014 it was played at Gleneagles which is regularly played since 1999 on the European Tour. But the 2010 course at Celtic Manor was only played once as the Wales Open. Then you need to go back to the 2006 played at the K Club which you could argue is played on the European tour fairly regularly. 

So it could be a decent argument except 2010. That was basically an unknown to both of them. No edge to give there, and the result was really really close. Save a Hunter Mahan flubbed chip they US might have won. 

Certainly something to think about.

Notice how many Euro players are playing in the French Open who don't normally, because it's the 2018 venue.

I wonder if U.K. players will get razzed a bit by the French crowds then owing to the Brexit. Of course, by then Scotland, may have voted for independence.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

6 hours ago, natureboy said:

Notice how many Euro players are playing in the French Open who don't normally, because it's the 2018 venue.

Mostly if not entirely Because they get double points for the 2016 rankings in this tournament.

Besides that, high ranked PGA players can also play in the Euro events if they choose to (like Patrick Reed did). It's their choice to do so or not. In this instance I understand they don't because of the WGC tournament ofcourse.

~Jorrit

7 hours ago, Silent said:

Mostly if not entirely Because they get double points for the 2016 rankings in this tournament.

Besides that, high ranked PGA players can also play in the Euro events if they choose to (like Patrick Reed did). It's their choice to do so or not. In this instance I understand they don't because of the WGC tournament ofcourse.

Yes, the double points is part of the European Tour's strategy to get more top players at the event as its the 100th French Open.

The European team has an awful lot of rookies 5 of the 9 automatic qualifiers. I think Lowry is a lock for a pick which gives 6 rookies. In light of this I would have thought that the other 2 will be Ryder Cup vets, Westwood and then one of Kaymer, McDowell or Dubuisson.

Dubuisson is a difficult choice he doesn't strike me as the kind to take some one under his wing so may not be ideal on such an inexperienced team (he also only has 1 appearance) but I imagine the European Tour will want a Frenchman on the team with the next Ryder Cup in Paris.

There are a load of potential rookies in good form that may play their way on to the team, Knox, Olesen, Kjeldsen, Pieters, Luiten etc, not many of the vets look to be in the form to make a run at automatic qualification (Westwood aside).

On 6/27/2016 at 1:06 AM, Silent said:

UK obvisouly is still in Europe, it's not like the island drifted away and is now in front of the African coast.

Well, not unless they build a better Prius: https://xkcd.com/687/

I'm fine if the UK wants to continue to claim Europe as part of them for the Ryder Cup.  They can't beat us without it, so might as well make it interesting. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Well, not unless they build a better Prius: https://xkcd.com/687/

I'm fine if the UK wants to continue to claim Europe as part of them for the Ryder Cup.  They can't beat us without it, so might as well make it interesting. 

Spain didn't join the EU until 1986, well after Seve et al began playing in the Ryder Cup.

EU membership really has no connection to the European Tour.

19 hours ago, Silent said:

12 hours ago, Wansteadimp said:

Yes, the double points is part of the European Tour's strategy to get more top players at the event as its the 100th French Open.

100th Anniversary or a great cover story to essentially make attendance mandatory so they can see how many players and playing styles do on the course when it's in tournament trim? :-D  The schedule conflict just makes it that much less likely for U.S. players to come over.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2716 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!