IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Ruptures Tendon, Out of British Open + Longer?

acetoolguy
Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why a professional player just before one of the biggest tournaments is so careless to injure himself, makes me speachless.

I agree, I'm an engineering manager and in my off time, all I do is sit in a pile of bubble wrap practicing math.

you guys slay me with these comments.  good for Rory for having a life

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He can have his life and live the full of it. But you are a professional player or you are not. I think it's careless. I have no idea about his sponsor agreements. But he'll get a load of it and it is probably build around big tournaments. I wouldn't be that happy.

It is not about not having a life.

But on the other hand. If he won't wins it this year, he will probably wins it next year.

You're a professional athlete who is allowed to do other things during the week rather than just sit in bed and not do anything because you're scared and don't want to get hurt. You know all these players lift weights during off weeks right? There's a lot greater chance of getting hurt that way than just simply running like Rory did. People who are being hard on the kid are going way overboard.

McIlroy withdraws from Open.

Quote:

After much consideration, I have decided not to play in the Open Championship at St. Andrews. I’m taking a long term view of this injury and, although rehab is progressing well, I want to come back to tournament play when I feel 100% healthy and 100% competitive. Thank you for all your support and best wishes. I hope to be back on the course as soon as I can.... In the mean time, come on Andy!!!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

These guys run and lift to get into and stay in shape, what Rory was doing is not significantly more risky than those activities.

It isn't like he was going motocross, racing cars. cliff diving  or skiing the week before a major; heck a couple of years ago Rory come out of the stants and hit tennis balls with Sharapova at an exhibition match & everyone thought it was cute.

The weeks away from tournament golf, players need to decompress and get to the point of being able to refocus when they do get back on tour.

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

Most pro sport team contracts have language limiting the off field activities of players. ...

One exception to this was former Dallas Cowboy fullback Walt Garrison. He had language in his NFL contract that allowed him to compete in rodeos. He also was a professional rodeo cowboy.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/3/15/8217501/once-twice-three-times-a-cowboy-walt-garrison

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

These guys run and lift to get into and stay in shape, what Rory was doing is not significantly more risky than those activities. It isn't like he was going motocross, racing cars. cliff diving  or skiing the week before a major; heck a couple of years ago Rory come out of the stants and hit tennis balls with Sharapova at an exhibition match & everyone thought it was cute. The weeks away from tournament golf, players need to decompress and get to the point of being able to refocus when they do get back on tour.

Well said. I believe this would be the mindset of 90% of the PGA tour.

Well after seeing the cast on the foot, I didn't think he would be.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

One exception to this was former Dallas Cowboy fullback Walt Garrison. He had language in his NFL contract that allowed him to compete in rodeos. He also was a professional rodeo cowboy.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015/3/15/8217501/once-twice-three-times-a-cowboy-walt-garrisoncareer

Well yeah, cowboy, rodeo, a name like Walt Garrison.....it would be almost un-American to forbid him from competing in a rodeo.

though If I remember correctly his NFL career ended because of a rodeo injury.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

[QUOTE name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/83106/rory-makes-it-official#post_1166100"]   Well after seeing the cast on the foot, I didn't think he would be. [/QUOTE] I have not seen a cast on his foot yet, just  a boot ?

they wouldn't cast for an injury like this, casting would actually be detrimental... "the dreaded and hated boot" is how they immobilize it... as much as the boot sucks, you can take it off to shower and start some rehab during healing.... given that he had a complete rupture, it would not be surprising if we didn't see him for at least 3 months, and probably 4-6... note: i'm not a doctor, but i've been there with this one... it doesn't heal overnight, and even though he will be rehabbing during healing (and getting far better rehab than i did), there will be continuing rehab for a bit after the actual injury has healed...

I agree, I'm an engineering manager and in my off time, all I do is sit in a pile of bubble wrap practicing math.

Rory's injury wouldn't prevent anyone with a desk job from going to work - well, maybe a few days.

You are correct. The only patients we ever cast for this type of injury is if the patient is a a teenager and the parent believes their child will not be compliant with a boot. :) Even in that scenario the cast would come off in two weeks. I have had "2" confirmed Grade 3 ATF ligament tears in our office confirmed on MRI (more were suspected, but we don't order an MRI b/c the treatment doesn't change. They get short term immobilization and then rehab/PT. You would only order an MRI if requested by the patient, parent, or you are a million dollar athlete.) In those "2" patients Rehab was 3-4 months. I would love to see Rory make a miraculous recovery and play the PGA Championship. IMO...it will be 3 or 4 months or you will see him limp around sooner with a heavily taped ankle on pain killers. If you remember correctly, he had a significant injury to his wrist when he hit a tree root at Atlanta Athletic Club for the PGA Championship that Keegan Bradley won. He actually made the cut from what I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
Any new news on this? Ive been out of the loop and haven't seen an update from GC. He going to be able to play Whistling Straights?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

He won't defend his title next week at WGC Bridgestone...

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/bridgestone-invitational/news/2015/07/29/mcilroy-kirk-miss-bridgestone-invitational.html

~Jorrit

You are correct. The only patients we ever cast for this type of injury is if the patient is a a teenager and the parent believes their child will not be compliant with a boot. :) Even in that scenario the cast would come off in two weeks. I have had "2" confirmed Grade 3 ATF ligament tears in our office confirmed on MRI (more were suspected, but we don't order an MRI b/c the treatment doesn't change. They get short term immobilization and then rehab/PT. You would only order an MRI if requested by the patient, parent, or you are a million dollar athlete.) In those "2" patients Rehab was 3-4 months. I would love to see Rory make a miraculous recovery and play the PGA Championship. IMO...it will be 3 or 4 months or you will see him limp around sooner with a heavily taped ankle on pain killers. If you remember correctly, he had a significant injury to his wrist when he hit a tree root at Atlanta Athletic Club for the PGA Championship that Keegan Bradley won. He actually made the cut from what I remember.

yea, and it would be senseless for him to "tough it out" just to play the pga... even with "medical assistance", you would have to believe he would end up with some type of compensation in his swing... which may (or may not), ingrain that compensation into his swing, and he will then have to get rid of that... he's young... he should take his time and completely heal...

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!