IGNORED

Golf Rules Quiz - How well can you do?

No Mulligans
Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many of the questions did you get correct?

• Aced it
    • 10 or 11 correct
    • 8 or 9 correct
    • 7 or 8 correct
    • 5 or 6 correct
    • less than 5 correct

8 out of 12, I wrongly thought you could shake the tree to dislodge the ball.

If you announce your intentions to take an unplayable before shaking, you can then shake the tree to dislodge your ball.

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow....  I guess I need to read the rules again..  Of course reading them and understanding them are two different things. :8)

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Just a comment on the scoring.

It should have been:

I aced it!

10-11

8-9

6-7

4-5

less than 5.

As it is there is overlap between 7-8 and 8-9.

lol

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just a comment on the scoring.

It should have been:

I aced it!

10-11

8-9

6-7

4-5

less than 5.

As it is there is overlap between 7-8 and 8-9.

lol

Oops, I need an editor

I got 10 right.   I missed #3 and #7, both of which had harsher consequences than I thought.

—Adam

The best thing about this quiz is that it shows the value of having a rule book with you if you are going to be in a position to make any rules decisions on the course.  Any experienced rules official will have the decisions handy too.  Most rule "experts" have not memorized every rule and decision, but they have studied them thoroughly and know where to look up the answers they need.  I still get lost occasionally in the decisions when a breach or question covers more than one area in the book, and I sometimes have to go through several decisions to find what I know is there but haven't mentally earmarked the exact location.

The question I missed, and did so because I didn't bother to think it over, was the doughnut one - I marked the 2 stroke penalty when I knew perfectly well that it was DQ.  I think I have something of a block on it because I feel that the penalty is a bit harsh for the crime.

A player is only penalized 2 strokes for unintentionally using a 15th club prior to declaring the excess club out of play, so it seems a bit much to DQ a player for something as innocuous as slipping a doughnut on a club to stay loose during a protracted delay.  The rule is the rule and I would always abide by it, but that doesn't always mean that I agree with it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The best thing about this quiz is that it shows the value of having a rule book with you if you are going to be in a position to make any rules decisions on the course.  Any experienced rules official will have the decisions handy too.  Most rule "experts" have not memorized every rule and decision, but they have studied them thoroughly and know where to look up the answers they need.  I still get lost occasionally in the decisions when a breach or question covers more than one area in the book, and I sometimes have to go through several decisions to find what I know is there but haven't mentally earmarked the exact location.

The question I missed, and did so because I didn't bother to think it over, was the doughnut one - I marked the 2 stroke penalty when I knew perfectly well that it was DQ.  I think I have something of a block on it because I feel that the penalty is a bit harsh for the crime.

A player is only penalized 2 strokes for unintentionally using a 15th club prior to declaring the excess club out of play, so it seems a bit much to DQ a player for something as innocuous as slipping a doughnut on a club to stay loose during a protracted delay.  The rule is the rule and I would always abide by it, but that doesn't always mean that I agree with it.

I find the search capabilities within the decisions of the USGA rules app to be really helpful.

As to the DQ, I wonder if the reasoning is that it it cannot be undone?  Most penalties involve correcting the situation and then being assessed the penalty strokes.  But this one cannot be "corrected".

I probably would have missed that one as well except I remembered about a guy recently getting DQed for using alignment sticks while (with permission) hitting practice putts on the previous green during a delay.  The officials could allow practice but they could not allow a training aid.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Q8, shouldn't both players get penalized one for asking for information and the other for giving?

Question 6 was about match play.  The moment the first player asked for advice he lost the hole.  What his opponent said after that doesn't matter.

In stroke play, you would be correct: both players would be penalised, one for asking and the other for giving.

• Administrator

12. They were all easy for me except the one about tapping in with the wrong end of the club. Then I thought about it and figured it wasn't an accidental thing (like moving your ball taking a practice stroke, etc.) and got the answer right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 out of 12.

See, I do kinda of know the rules!

But only sort of!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I'm happy enough with 9/12, the 3 I got wrong (1 7 8) I knew I was guessing and in a real golf situation would have consulted the rule book or flagged it and checked before submitting the card. [quote name="Dormie1360" url="/t/83442/golf-rules-quiz-how-well-can-you-do/30#post_1175714"] If you announce your intentions to take an unplayable before shaking, you can then shake the tree to dislodge your ball. [/quote] Be careful though, you need to identify your ball before declaring it unplayable. Lydia Ko had a similar situation recently, the rules official allowed her to identify it as her ball based on spectators witnessing it.

Only 6 of 12; some reading to do when there's time to kill at work (like now).

Oddly I am in the majority according to poll responses though (SSS however).

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

I'm happy enough with 9/12, the 3 I got wrong (1 7 8) I knew I was guessing and in a real golf situation would have consulted the rule book or flagged it and checked before submitting the card.

Be careful though, you need to identify your ball before declaring it unplayable. Lydia Ko had a similar situation recently, the rules official allowed her to identify it as her ball based on spectators witnessing it.

Sorry rulesman, morning coffee hasn't kicked in.S&D;?

Substitute and drop?

S&D; means stroke and distance, however you do not have to identify a ball, if you first announce that you are taking an unplayable for a ball yet to be identified.  If the ball is yours you may then drop within 2 club lengths directly under where the ball lay in the tree.

18-2a/27

Ball Dislodged from Tree; Circumstances in Which Player Not Penalized

Q. A player whose ball is lodged high in a tree wishes to dislodge it by shaking the tree or throwing a club so that he can identify it and proceed under the unplayable ball Rule. Is this permissible?

A. Yes. The player should state his intention before taking such action to avoid any question being raised as to whether a penalty would be incurred under Rule 18-2a .

Regards,

John

Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!