IGNORED

Your 150 yd Club

Costanza1980
Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do you hit for 150 yds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you hit for 150 yds?

• 5 iron
    • 6 iron
    • 7 iron
    • 8 iron
    • 9 iron
    • PW
    • fairway wood/hybrid

My buddies always ask me what i shot, not what club i used when i was 150 out. I know it sucks to be the short hitter. But its worth it when u beat your playing partners by six strokes after they outdrove you all day. So dont despair, doesnt matter how far u hit it. All that matters is that u know how far YOU hit every club in your bag.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most greens have more trouble in the front than back. Hit the driver. Or maybe a 3 wood?

That's just not true on any of the courses I've played.  Take Torrey pines.  In front is fairway, in back is ridiculously difficult rough or hazard for the majority of the holes.  The greens are really fast and slop from front to back.  Other than one hole that has water, you are better off in front of the green even if you're in the rough and especially if you're in a trap.

Same goes for Tecolote, Bear Mountain, Lomas Santa Fe, Balboa Park, etc.... I can't think of one course that I play where what you say is the truth.

The exceptions are if their is hazard in front of the green. The majority of holes on courses I play don't have hazards in front of the greens.

I carry an 8 iron 145-150 yards. Lessons will help a lot and you would probably enjoy the game more. Just remember there are lots of ways to lower your score besides distance - course management, short game chipping, 3 putt avoidance, and eliminating penalty strokes.

Generally I use my 7 iron and try and take a nice smooth swing. I can do it with an 8 but there is no point because I am just not consistent enough to hit it that pure all the time.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

145 = 8i

155 = 7i

So 150 = 7i and I'll play it a little more forward.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I'm in the camp of answering these questions in terms of degrees. I hit my 39* 8 iron from 150 out. I'm sure most others 7 irons (again assuming as I see about 80% of players playing modern lofts) are on average 32* and 8 irons 35*. I used to hit a modern standard 7 iron (at 32*) 150 yards and that was on a great swing. But through about a year of dedicated practice am now hitting a bladed 8 iron from that distance +\- 10 yards depending upon conditions and feel. Practice practice practice. That about all I can say. I didn't see significant progress until a about my 10th month of relentlessly working out my swing.

Depends how well I'm playing and what ball. I've hit a 9i carry that far with a rock hard ball and then fly off the back green. But at that point my 8i would go about 140 and roll on (hard ball).

Then a couple of weeks ago I would need to hit a 5i to carry 150 as I was flipping and hitting it too high.

Now I've sort of fixed the high launch/ flipping and using a better ball I would say if the pin is 150 I would hit a 7 and possibly grip down a touch. If I hit it well it "should" go 150/155 and the spin should hold it. If I hit it bad it would probably go 140 and then roll out to 150 ish on a green, as it would likely spin less.

I would expect in a couple of month or so that 7i would change back to an 8i.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

I played with a kid who used a PW and overshot a green at 160. He could murder the ball, but everything under 100 was a mystery to him. I have 4clubs (excluding putter) to use from 100 in, that is where you make most of your score line... For me anyway.

I'm trying to gauge where I am with my iron distances. I feel like I hit my clubs way weaker than my buddies. I'm an athletic fellow and I really love golf, but I am pretty overweight and wonder if that's affecting my club speed. I hit a 6 iron when hitting 150 yds, whether on the tee or on the fairway. I want to know what my deal is. I also probably hit my driver 230-250 ish, and would love to figure out how to hit that further. I don't want to get 300, but maybe 250 consistently. So, just a quick survey, what club do you hit for 150 yds?

It depends upon what type of club you use. Some 6i are like some 8i and visa versa. The conditions make a huge difference as well. If you really carry your driver 240 on average, you should be able to hit your 8i to 150 yards. If you put a lot of spin on the ball maybe 7i and expect no roll. So, if you are at the 150 marker you should be able to choose anything from a 9i to a 7i and possibly a PW for downhill downwind conditions. My guess is you're not making great contact with the ball, so that's why you need a 6i at this point.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Typically a 7 iron, but also an easy 6 at times. Used to be an 8 iron, but I was tired of missing greens. Watched a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf last night between Jack and Arnie. Arnie was 64. He would hit a 6 or 7 iron. Jack was more of a sold 7 iron. They were hitting 5 irons from 170. So, don't judge your irons by 20+ year old pros like Rory or Jason. You'll only get disillusioned.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Mine is my 6i from from the fairway, with a decent lie. From a poor lie it might be my 4i/5i. There have also  been times when I needed a really low shot to get out of the forest, and used my 7W.  No, I don't hit the ball a long ways like most golfers, but I can still get around the course with a decent score. As posted above I Just  like to relax and have fun out there.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

8i flies 145-150 in calm conditions.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

If im really in the zone a full 8i, however im rarely really in the zone so its a smooth 7i. Obviously this all depends on the wind. Ive hit a 5i to a 148 yrd par 3 before with the wind towards me. Playing partner saw his 8i land at about 120yds!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Typically a 7 iron, but also an easy 6 at times. Used to be an 8 iron, but I was tired of missing greens. Watched a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf last night between Jack and Arnie. Arnie was 64. He would hit a 6 or 7 iron. Jack was more of a sold 7 iron. They were hitting 5 irons from 170. So, don't judge your irons by 20+ year old pros like Rory or Jason. You'll only get disillusioned.

So, don't expect to fly a 52 degree 150 yards and roll back 5 feet into the pin? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm between my PW and 9 right now from 150.  Last night I was flying the green from 140 with my PW.  PW is around 145 and 9 is around 155

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

Watched a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf last night between Jack and Arnie. Arnie was 64. He would hit a 6 or 7 iron. Jack was more of a sold 7 iron. They were hitting 5 irons from 170. So, don't judge your irons by 20+ year old pros like Rory or Jason. You'll only get disillusioned.

My 7 iron was 20 to 25 yards shorter when I was in decent shape during my early 20's.

Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!