IGNORED

Your 150 yd Club

Costanza1980
Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do you hit for 150 yds?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What club do you hit for 150 yds?

• 5 iron
    • 6 iron
    • 7 iron
    • 8 iron
    • 9 iron
    • PW
    • fairway wood/hybrid

I used to blast my 53* 150. Even used 8i at 180-190. Hc was a 18 at best 16.

My eight iron was always my standard 150 yard club. I started swimming in January and now I can actually hit my sand wedge 150 yards and it goes sky high.

It really depends on the playa

Wow! At least not all the golf studs are on the PGA tour.

Wait, divot in front of the ball? Not right under it?

Watch at :23

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Most greens have more trouble in the front than back. Hit the driver. Or maybe a 3 wood?

HUH? :blink: Okay well that gap wedge I airmailed the green from 125 and then had to hack out of knee high while stymied behind a tree was less trouble? I think I would have been better off chunking it 10 yards and taking a bogey than a 7 triple that day.

As far as a 150 club? 8 iron carry 144 and with a firm green I would say 150, 7 iron usually 153 carry.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I feel like the short hitter here lol. 6i is my standard 150 club. I can hit it further if I swing out of my shoes but I have no idea where it will end up.

+1. My 7 iron is 145, so I usually hit a smooth 6 iron. Goes lower. If there is trouble in front, I take the 7 iron. I can hit the 8 iron as well. I try to never over swing. Usually results in a hook.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Depends I hit PW-7 from 150 as the conditions change. It's rare to just have a straight number and usually because my most prominent miss is short it's one club more than my controlled situation averages i.e. the range on perfect lies. In thick rough I might struggle to get a 6 iron to 150 if it's uphill with wind in my face because I know it's not going to be a good contact. What should fly 35 yard over could land short. Last thing I want to do is leave it very short. My goal if I think I am going to miss a green is try to get it where the next shot is chip and run distance not a pitch where controlling distance will be tough again in an iffy lie.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+1. My 7 iron is 145, so I usually hit a smooth 6 iron. Goes lower. If there is trouble in front, I take the 7 iron. I can hit the 8 iron as well. I try to never over swing. Usually results in a hook.

Thanks for that, now i think i know why ive been hooking the ball. Only seems to happen when i use mustard.

Normally it's a smooth 9. Middle of the summer it's a full PW.

do you see an increase with your other clubs through the year? how often do you have to dial in your distances during a golf season?

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I am fat and don't swing exceptionally hard, but I can hit my 9 iron 150 but usually hit 8 iron gripped down. I'm still trying to zero in my new irons though. It's your swing, not your weight. Weight can matter a little for certain aspects, but unless you are like 450 pounds I doubt that's why you are hitting a 6 iron for your 150 yard shots.

Usually a 7 iron for me.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

All you guys saying you hit PW 150 yards is that 150 yards carry? I know there are some strong lofted pitching wedges out there but that is a hardcore wedge shot. Do you find you're really consistent with that distance?

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

do you see an increase with your other clubs through the year? how often do you have to dial in your distances during a golf season?

I have to dial my distances about twice a year. Around mid July, my swing is dialed in and weather conditions are the best they can be. I usually have to hit a club less or I'm firing it over the green. Once October comes, the weather is cooler and I go back to my shorter distances.

Ill tell u my 150 yard club in a sec but first i want to show you the fountain of golf. My pure love for the game led me to this point and id really like to share with anyone who will listen. I tell everyone who will listen but esp noobs or higher handicaps. I want the lowest score possible, the easiest way possible, and i dont wanna be golf mad, i want to have a blast while doing it. I pondered that for a long time. When i figured out the solution, i googled it and what d' ya know? Im not so crazy after all. IT DOESNT MATTER!!! Ive shot legit rounds in the 80s and at 32 years of age in pretty decent shape i CANT hit it over 193 at the moment. DISTANCE is helpful but NOT required. If u are playing the correct tees all par 4s should be right at 400 or less. Lets say 368 is the average. Hit ur 6 150. Hit ur six again 150. U are now 68 yards from the green. Take a wedge and hit the ball to the fattest portion of the green. Make a putt and u have a par. 2 putt and u have a bogey. Bogey golf is good golf unless ur on tour. Try it and i doubt you will care what club u hit 150. If u think im crazy, google plugged in golf how to break 90. They confirmed my little plan was unorthodox but not crazy. 2nd try out with it i went from shooting high 90s to shooting a 88. SORRY, Had to say all that. To answer ur ?, i hit my 8 iron 150. When i do use woods and im hitting it well, i get it out there about 220. (Lol and that game plan usually gets me a 92. If im hitting the woods well...if not hit well and i follow that plan....hello 104.)

Your theory is exactly right.Every one who cant break 90 should use that method to shoot better scores.Granted its not as fun but then again how fun is spraying ball everywhere, taking penalty strokes and shooting high number.The person would have to be a good iron player because 1 mishit with a shorter club and your adding yards to holes.No offense but I dont see how anyone can hit a pw 150 yards unless your hitting it low and thin.Rarely see pros hitting pw 150 except for longest of hitters.

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!