IGNORED

Would you rather win a Major or the FedEx Cup?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather Win a Major Championship or The $10 Million FedEx Cup?

• Major
    • FexEx Cup

I don't know if this post is sarcasm, but that quote sounds to me like he'd prefer to win the FedEx cup. He says it's one unachieved accomplishment he would like to add.

I'd bet that he would take a Masters victor over the FedEx Cup, as it's another "unachieved" accomplishment for him.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right now, on my budget, I'd take the Fed Ex Cup. Lots more millions of dollars in my bank account. However, if I'm already a millionaire like most of these guys are, then it's not even close....a major championship all day, every day. No one remembers who wins these Fed Ex Cups, but I can tell you every major champion in every major championship since I was born in 1985.

Right now, on my budget, I'd take the Fed Ex Cup. Lots more millions of dollars in my bank account. However, if I'm already a millionaire like most of these guys are, then it's not even close....a major championship all day, every day. No one remembers who wins these Fed Ex Cups, but I can tell you every major champion in every major championship since I was born in 1985.

I can tell you every Stanley Cup final since 1992, but that sir is impressive.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

First you get the money....then you get the fame.  First things first, secure myself and my family financially. Once I know that I'm set for the rest of my life then it's about the accolades. If I won the Fed Ex cup then I know for sure that I made some good money in the other events on tour that year.  If I won a major that doesn't mean that I'm set for life necessarily unless I chase sponsorship dollars which takes away from my primary focus of playing golf.  10 million bucks is 5 times what any single major will pay out.  I'm sorry Zach Johnson isn't a legend in the game cause he has two majors.  If I'm good enough to win the Fed Ex Cup, I'm good enough to win a major.

Asking Rory his opinion on that matter is almost silly because he has 4 majors AND Nike is paying him a 1/4 of billion dollars regardless of whether or not he wins another tournament.  Ask the guys who are about to lose their card, because they didn't make enough MONEY,  which they would prefer and I bet you'll get a different answer.

I bet if you asked a tour player if they would rather win 4 times each year on tour, none of which will ever be a major, or win one major, I bet they would think twice about it before they answer.

First you get the money....then you get the fame.  First things first, secure myself and my family financially. Once I know that I'm set for the rest of my life then it's about the accolades. If I won the Fed Ex cup then I know for sure that I made some good money in the other events on tour that year.  If I won a major that doesn't mean that I'm set for life necessarily unless I chase sponsorship dollars which takes away from my primary focus of playing golf.  10 million bucks is 5 times what any single major will pay out.  I'm sorry Zach Johnson isn't a legend in the game cause he has two majors.  If I'm good enough to win the Fed Ex Cup, I'm good enough to win a major.

Asking Rory his opinion on that matter is almost silly because he has 4 majors AND Nike is paying him a 1/4 of billion dollars regardless of whether or not he wins another tournament.  Ask the guys who are about to lose their card, because they didn't make enough MONEY,  which they would prefer and I bet you'll get a different answer.

I bet if you asked a tour player if they would rather win 4 times each year on tour, none of which will ever be a major, or win one major, I bet they would think twice about it before they answer.

your statements about asking a player who is about to lose their card is as ridiculous as your Rory comment. No player who has ever won a major has ever been close to losing their card that year.

and your second comment about winning 4 tournaments a year vs. winning 1 major; I guarantee you they would take 1 major every year (hell every other year) than winning 4 tournaments a year.

you know why Rory is paid $250 million - because he wins majors, not because he wins 3 or 4 other tournaments a year.

Players play, tough players win!

your statements about asking a player who is about to lose their card is as ridiculous as your Rory comment. No player who has ever won a major has ever been close to losing their card that year.

and your second comment about winning 4 tournaments a year vs. winning 1 major; I guarantee you they would take 1 major every year (hell every other year) than winning 4 tournaments a year.

you know why Rory is paid $250 million - because he wins majors, not because he wins 3 or 4 other tournaments a year.

Well to clarify my statements further I was simply noting that when you ask a millionaire about money the answer is going to be much different than when you ask a player that isn't set financially.  The only players that are judging themselves on majors are the absolute best players of the generation (Tiger, Rory, Jack, etc). Players with even a couple majors don't have the same litmus test.

Next I was talking about winning 4 non majors per year in your career or 1 Major in your career and nothing else.  Come on now anyone would pick winning one major per year and that would be a silly question to even ask.  But if you played 10 years on tour would you give up 40 wins for 1 major championship? I wouldn't.

NO Rory gets paid 250 million because of what Nike projects he will do in the future and anything that he does well is going to boost Nike's profits.  Tiger's 79 career wins are cumulatively just as important to Nike as his 14 majors because companies simply want there gear on a winner. Tiger winning any tournament is good for Nike because the people at a regular tour event are much more likely to go buy golf equipment than the casual observer who watches only when he has the lead on Sunday in a major.  Rory has been a phenom since he was a kid and his success was predicted, as was Tiger's, or Lydia Ko's, or any phenom that you knew just had it.  Their outlook is much different than the guy who fought his way up through Q school or the Web.com tour and is on the waiting list to get in to tournaments cause he isn't high enough on the MONEY list.  It was a good bet that they would be successful....it was just a matter of how successful they would be.

Is this even a question? A major and it's not even remotely close.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

One should ask Anthony Kim!!! He collected 10 mil from insurance by retiring from pro golf. He act like he was hit by a bus. Yeah right, finger injury.

No he didn't.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Back in the 1950s, there was a tournament pretty much the precursor of this FedEx Cup, called the "World Championship". The first prize grew to ridiculous amounts, $50,000 when the US Open winner used to get $5,000. The pros, back in the day, used to refer to it as a major, although no-one recognizes it such, retrospectively, now, and some of its winners - Lew Worsham, Ted Kroll - are all but forgotten. I think many FedEx Cup winners will go the same way, apart from Spieth this year.

Major any day. The money would be nice but I'd rather go down in history than get the money. The FedEx maybe gone 10 years down the line but the majors will always be the majors. It would be the Open I would want to win. A true test of golf.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Without a doubt a major.  The Fedex Cup adds some interest to professional golf after the majors are over, and I cannot speak for the golfers but as a fan it holds nowhere near the excitement of a major.  Sure the $10 million would be great for some of the less consistent golfers, but I believe that a player like Zach Johnson has done quite well for himself with 2 majors and the prestige and endorsements that go with it.  How much money did Tiger make playing golf this year?  Not much, but he made a fortune in endorsements not because he won the Fedex Cup a couple of times, but because he is a 14 time major winner.

Without a doubt a major.  The Fedex Cup adds some interest to professional golf after the majors are over, and I cannot speak for the golfers but as a fan it holds nowhere near the excitement of a major.  Sure the $10 million would be great for some of the less consistent golfers, but I believe that a player like Zach Johnson has done quite well for himself with 2 majors and the prestige and endorsements that go with it.  How much money did Tiger make playing golf this year?  Not much, but he made a fortune in endorsements not because he won the Fedex Cup a couple of times, but because he is a 14 time major winner.

Tiger makes a fortune because he wins....period.   A company cares that the people they endorse simply win as that gives them a chance to pump up their chests and boost their profits.  Tiger's 79 tour wins are just as important as his 14 majors to Nike because after every single one they made a push to sell clubs and apparel. Companies pay those guys off of what they project they will do in the future and not what they have done in the past unless they can somehow capitalize off of it.  Michael Jordan is and example of that...but there aren't many in his position where they make way more money off of  what they did in the past. Also Jack of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on the major. I remember reading that Jordan would reap at least 10 million for the masters win in endorsements. That certainly trumps a FedEx win. Not sure if other master winners get that much or how the other major  winners fair.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down a major.  Anyway, the money you get from winning a major is pretty close to that of the FedEx Cup, though it might come from sponsorships, but the fact is you win a major and you get an exemption to play so many tournaments for so many years on the PGA/European Tour.  Conversely, all the FedEx cup gives you is entry into the next season, nothing else.  Plus the fame and fortune anywhere in the world from winning any major as opposed to the anonymity of winning a FedEx Cup

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 3097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!