IGNORED

2015 Tour Championship Discussion Thread

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Furyk withdrew, which is a break for all of us. Believe he still gets 30th place prize money.

Thank goodness...Now he will have lots of time to work on a normal preshot routine on the putting green. I want to taser him every time he backs off and then pulls his putt. :) Nice to see Stenson and Rory play well.

Thank goodness...Now he will have lots of time to work on a normal preshot routine on the putting green. I want to taser him every time he backs off and then pulls his putt. :) Nice to see Stenson and Rory play well.

You forgot the worst part - where he steps back up and takes a practice swing or two after he misses.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If only tour players read TheSandtrap. It would transform their games.

They would learn how to get out of trouble and make bogey at worst, learn how to avoid "blow up holes" (holes worse than bogey) and Stenson would learn that his backswing is all wrong.

They would also realise what a tough crowd it is - to the point where a 22 year old winning the PGA would "not impress" some.

Spieth would also learn from a Sandtrap expert or five that changing clubs was a mistake.

Dj would learn so much about putting from the putting analysts

How can all of this information be channelled to help them? How can we "reach out" to them "going forward"?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If only tour players read TheSandtrap. It would transform their games. They would learn how to get out of trouble and make bogey at worst, learn how to avoid "blow up holes" (holes worse than bogey) and Stenson would learn that his backswing is all wrong. They would also realise what a tough crowd it is - to the point where a 22 year old winning the PGA would "not impress" some. Spieth would also learn from a Sandtrap expert or five that changing clubs was a mistake. Dj would learn so much about putting from the putting analysts How can all of this information be channelled to help them? How can we "reach out" to them "going forward"?

I, personally, don't know how to get ahold of them. :P

• Upvote 1

I was glad to see Spieth get off the Schneid and beat JDay heads up yesterday, if only by a stroke. Had to help his psyche a little as Day had pummeled him 6 or 7 straight rounds prior to this. I do think there is something to how they play head-to-head.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Yeah, I would not be shocked to see Rory run away with this starting tomorrow.

Do you have a clip of that Day drive?  I still haven't seen it.

+1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

[QUOTE name="pumaAttack" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/18#post_1204597"]   Yeah, I would not be shocked to see Rory run away with this starting tomorrow. Do you have a clip of that Day drive?  I still haven't seen it. [/QUOTE] +1

yea, i can see rory leading by the end of the day.... nope, searched and i can't find it... :-( gotta be somewhere...

It appears so far for today anyway. The course seems to be playing a little tougher than it did yesterday, for most of the field.

appears to be playing a LOT tougher... haven't seen any video, so not sure why... wind? just from following on the pgatour site, there are crooked numbers galore, and you had better not miss fairways... especially on 9... missing on 9 seems to lead to at least a bogey, and worse for some... edit: even from the fairway, 5 isn't guaranteed... that's one tough par 5 today...

Just tuned in and two of the first three shots I saw were Holmes and Fowler chipping from the fringe. Holmes left his way short. I realize they're better than I am (this is an understatement), but why would any player, regardless of ability, putt from just a foot off the green? Or maybe I was viewing it wrong and the angle was off.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

[quote name="Natural Patrick" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/36#post_1204897"]It appears so far for today anyway. The course seems to be playing a little tougher than it did yesterday, for most of the field.

appears to be playing a LOT tougher... haven't seen any video, so not sure why... wind? just from following on the pgatour site, there are crooked numbers galore, and you had better not miss fairways... especially on 9... missing on 9 seems to lead to at least a bogey, and worse for some... edit: even from the fairway, 5 isn't guaranteed... that's one tough par 5 today...[/quote] also, looks like you can put it in reverse in a hurry... zach was standing on the 9th tee, 2 strokes off the lead playing a par 5... bang... double/bogey/bogey, 6 strokes back... ouch...

appears to be playing a LOT tougher... haven't seen any video, so not sure why... wind?

just from following on the pgatour site, there are crooked numbers galore, and you had better not miss fairways... especially on 9... missing on 9 seems to lead to at least a bogey, and worse for some... edit: even from the fairway, 5 isn't guaranteed... that's one tough par 5 today...

The wind does not seem to be an issue. It's pretty wet but, I think mostly just some tough pin positions.

Just tuned in and two of the first three shots I saw were Holmes and Fowler chipping from the fringe. Holmes left his way short. I realize they're better than I am (this is an understatement), but why would any player, regardless of ability, putt from just a foot off the green?

Or maybe I was viewing it wrong and the angle was off.

These guys have all the skills, but they don't always make the best choices.  Michelson almost always pulls the flag when he's pitching or chipping.  Hell, I've seen him do it from 100 yards out - although I tend to think that's a little bit more about showmanship than anything else.

EDIT:  That said, it's also possible that the angle was off like you said, or simply that there was a ball mark in the fringe in his way or a sprinkler head or something.  Who knows.

Would he have done better righty?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Would he have done better righty?

Hmmm, I doubt it.  To be able to stand on the grass he'd have to be aiming off the picture to the right I think.  And if he standing in the bunker, then he's swinging at a chest high fast ball and being forced to aim way to the left OR choke down to 12" above the end of the club or something.

I bet if he had 10 chances like he hit it and 10 chances at any right handed version, he gets much closer lefty.

These guys have all the skills, but they don't always make the best choices.  Michelson almost always pulls the flag when he's pitching or chipping.  Hell, I've seen him do it from 100 yards out - although I tend to think that's a little bit more about showmanship than anything else.

Yeah they're really good at hitting the ball, not always the best with strategy.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Henrik Stenson 2 years ago, 2 days after winning the Tour Championship discussing his ballstriking and right shoulder move - key to his winningness?

Start at 1:00 mark where Stenson talks, and not the talking head.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

[QUOTE name="Shindig" url="/t/84580/2015-tour-championship-discussion-thread/30_30#post_1204941"] Just tuned in and two of the first three shots I saw were Holmes and Fowler chipping from the fringe. Holmes left his way short. I realize they're better than I am (this is an understatement), but why would any player, regardless of ability, putt from just a foot off the green? Or maybe I was viewing it wrong and the angle was off.[/QUOTE] These guys have all the skills, but they don't always make the best choices.  Michelson almost always pulls the flag when he's pitching or chipping.  Hell, I've seen him do it from 100 yards out - although I tend to think that's a little bit more about showmanship than anything else. EDIT:  That said, it's also possible that the angle was off like you said, or simply that there was a ball mark in the fringe in his way or a sprinkler head or something.  Who knows.

Good point. I still see Stenson hitting 3-Wood off the tee, sometimes missing the fairway. He's probably costing himself 20 yards at least, and is currently T-last for GIR this week. I wonder if he did that when he played in whatever club's championship a few years ago. He's plenty long with the driver though -- Jordan's tee shot (driver) got a few yards past his. Anyway, just saw Streb pitch in for eagle after laying up to 60 yards on a par-5. Glad to see someone doesn't subscribe to the "lay up to a full wedge" nonsense. I made two fives and a four (out of three par-5s) in my own match a few days ago, "laying up" (if hitting driver, 3-wood counts as laying up) to ~60 yards in my round last Sunday.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!