IGNORED

What is your target score?

flopster
Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I always start out looking at the number 80. I have confidence in finishing up at, or near that score. If I play well, and make a few putts, I will score better than 80. If I have a few bad holes, anything over 85 is still a good day on the course. Just not a really good day.......:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've mapped out a 72 on google map and then added in crappy putting and made it a 78. However, I know that battle plans only survive first contact with the enemy. Then if I look at the course as hitting a bucket of balls, how many bad or off target shots do I hit out of say 93 balls? 15 or so that will cost me a stroke. Sometimes one of those is on the green. Sometimes one of those is in the rough. Sometimes one of those is on the fairway. And that's how I get to 93 from 78. Face it. I suck at golf.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

My target is 75.  If I shoot below, I look at the holes where I could have scored better.  If I shoot above, I look at where I sucked.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I like to see scores of 75 or less when I go out to play, though I know at this point I haven't played enough recently (twice in the last two months, yay college) for this to be reasonable. At this point a reasonable expectation would be for me to break 80.

I am probably too new to have a firm target score but after my last round I am thinking of revising my expectations to at least be to break 100 in my first year.  I still have time left to do that since can play year round out here in Florida.

I like to see scores of 75 or less when I go out to play, though I know at this point I haven't played enough recently (twice in the last two months, yay college) for this to be reasonable. At this point a reasonable expectation would be for me to break 80.

I can see how you need to be really on top of your game to shoot 75 or less, but college is worth it!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As a 15HC, the expectation I set for myself it to be putting for par or better on every hole, this usually matches reality 7 out of 9 times on average which I'm happy with given how much time I have available to play/practice at this point in life.

As long as I see progress I'm happy, I've made a lot of progress this last year to the point where I am honing in on very specific areas for improvement.

I can see how you need to be really on top of your game to shoot 75 or less, but college is worth it!

Oh yeah, college is far more valuable than a couple of strokes on my golf game. It's just caused me to wonder if I ever had a short game to begin with. I score the same on the holes where I hit the green, which is usually a par or birdie, but if I miss the green I am pretty much hosed. Played yesterday and shot a 78 with 12 GIR. No three putts...

I play in 3 hole "chunks" like someone else mentioned, goal is no more than +2 on each "chunk." At the end, goal is 40 shots on each 9; 16 putts and 24 strokes but I don't worry about that during the round. More of an after-round review to see what went wrong (or right, every once in a while!).

A good round on the course is meeting my +2 goal on each chunk, a great round is shooting 80 or better.

I try and size up the course and then make a reasonable estimate on what holes will give me trouble and where my birdie opportunities are.   I aim for 39 per side.   I like the 3 hole chunks approach and have been doing that, although one bad swing on my home course is basically a two shot penalty, so it hilariously skews the results.   Having 3-5 "+2 or better" things next to a +6 for three holes can easily happen with a couple of bad swings in a row.

While I'm on the course my mentality is to not get derailed by  a bad shot, but to approach each shot (even if it's for a 9) by itself and do my best with it.

—Adam

When I was playing regularly, I would always target 78-80. If I hit those numbers, I knew I had a really solid round. Now, after not playing for a while, I would be happy to shoot 85-87.  Hopefully, I'll get back to that first target before long.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

If I'm playing a course for the first time, my target is 80.  One of my pet peeve's is hitting what I think is a good shot only to find it's in a pond, creek or in a trap because I don't know the course.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Uh. 18 of course. 

Realistically, it depends a lot on which course I'm playing. For a number of the courses in my rotation (generally under 70 CR), I'm looking for bogey golf. With the miserable old bastard course I played Sunday, anything under 100 is ok. 

I target 79 but I'm content with an 82.  Looking at my last 20, 4 rounds under 80 and 11 under 83.  Interesting that 7 rounds are between 80 and 82.  Guess you are what you are.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

At this point it is 90 ... some days on some courses that is a stretch goal!

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I would love to be able to score consistently between 40 and 44. To me that range is where all the "good" golfers are. anything in the 80s really. i have been in the 90s pretty much all year. 

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Note: This thread is 3128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!