IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

A 77 on a pretty tough, Links-ish style course.  temps in the 90's, hot, slow play due to a local tournament going on - apparently a few groups in front of us a couple guys were dinking around, practicing chipping and putting after every hole, etc.

Only one birdie on a par 5 (again).  Seems that no matter how close I GIR on a par 4, I just refuse to make the putt.  Good thing is I'm making a LOT more regulation holes and avoiding blowups.  Still glitching on Par 3's - maybe I should just throw the ball in the rough next to the tee box - I hit those just fine, put me on a nice tee box with a short shot, and I just can't seem to keep the face under control....same shot from the fairway or rough -  no problems....methinks it's mental.  Par 71 course, one bird on a par 5, one double on a par 4 (penalties), and 3 bogies on par 3's, another bogie or 2 on the 4's.  then regulation holes, or close enough that up/n/downs were easy enough.

Big high point, the wife broke 100 for the 3rd or 4th time.  She's actually chipping well and hitting irons - these are both new gains and based on specific feels we worked on.  Hoping those gains stick.  It's more fun when she's hitting better.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

87, which is super for me. Started off not so good.  Putting saved me after a series of long hit wedges ended up with me hitting beyond the greens.  Looked pretty if flight but way too hard.  As I got to the 5th hole, they started dropping well especially the lob shots.  Hit 8 fairways off tee strokes, my hybrids were of and on for the round.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

94.  41 on the front, which is smokin' for me.  Cooled off a little on the back, but what really killed me was playing 16 and 17 at 8(!) over par.  A pretty good score over all, but oh, what could've been...

• Administrator

http://www.gamegolf.com/rounds/review/2340282

Shot a 71 at Kahkwa today, despite not playing all that well.

I started off pretty well, but stood too close to the ball all day with the driver (duh, back up you moron), so I was crowding myself a little bit constantly. I probably wasn't doing my iron swing quite enough with the driver either, but the first few irons I hit were good.

Some of the shots were better than the result. I almost jarred it on the third hole, but fortunately made the 20-footer for birdie. The kid with whom I was playing had just aced the hole a week or two ago, so that was all I was thinking about - the pressure to hole out from the tee (admittedly 60 yards back of his tee). 😄 Then I almost did, so that's okay.

Driver: C+
Irons: A-
Short Game: A-
Putting: A

And yet…

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 6.10.43 PM.png

(small sample size)

I still drove it "okay" but it's not what I'm capable of doing. Okay, maybe a C+.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just my second full round of the year, but I was very happy with an 88.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

After months of struggling with the driver I finally got it going off the tees and had a 46-47 split yesterday. Only 1 penalty stroke and no triples on the day. Putting killed my chances of getting into the 80's (course is known for its tough greens). 

Best round I've had in a couple of months. 

A tale of two 9's yesterday in our B-Team match, which we won 62-46, onto the semi-finals against Army Navy CC.

42-35-77 Was 8 over after 8 holes and on my way to an awful round, chipped in for birdie on 9, made two more birdies in the next 3 holes and ended up with a 1 under back 9.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Saturday, 8/18/18, I shot 83 over 6000 yards, 68.5/115. This course is a little under rated/sloped in my opinion. The other course I frequent is rated higher 70/123, but the penalty for missing the fairway is not as severe. The higher rated course is longer by 500 yards, but it plays easier for me-perhaps it is familiarity. One birdie, 2 doubles, one penalty shot. Putting was good, I can't remember any 3 putt, but not a lot of 1 putts either. Driver was balky.

10 GIR, 4 Near GIR.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Friday - Another links style course - but local (Victory links).  Mid 80's scoring on a par 71 course (70.7/130).  A hot day, but the overcast made it comfy - perfect day. terrible time hitting greens, don't know why.  They were doing some kind of PGA pro quals earlier and then a meet later, so we were alone on the course playing at our pace - each with our own cart - perfection.  It's VERY much set up as a risk reward on nearly all the holes.  But I refused to play "no 6's" style and chose driver anyway - so,....I was in more sandtraps than I may ever have been in my life.  Only 7 fairways hit and 6 GIR - and no birdies, but some really good sand shots....  Good time in spite of the bad play on my part. 

Yesterday - total turnaround.  Stillwater Oaks - 72 on an (to me) easier track par 70 (70.7/129).  7 FH, 8 GIR still a hard time hitting greens.  But I chipped in twice for birdie on par 4's, and a birdie on a par 3.  The difference between the courses being MUCH less penal for missing fairways on the 2nd course.  A couple spectacular putts.

I'd been hitting greens a LOT lately.  The run lately of having a hard time of it is giving me a lot of practice with getting up and down (I remembered/relearned how to chip).  But, as always, I'd rather have a putting chance at birdie instead of being a good scrambler for par.

Both days messing up great drives on par 5's (again and again) by following with off line 2nd shots (all reachable).

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Wednesday – 8/15/2018:  I played a course near where I worked last week.  This is my fourth time playing the course with similar scores each time.  The two nines on this course are largely different nines.  The front is very hilly, tree lined, tight driving holes with extreme left dog legs on most holes.  The back nine, while fairly hilly, is much more open off the tee, with a good mix of dog leg left and right.  The greens are fairly undulating  and deceptively quick, especially when chipping/pitching. 

I shot 77, 34 putts (0 3 putts),11 GIR, 7 FH (I’m struggling to hit a draw with the driver at the moment).  The course is par 72 7014 yrds. (73.9/ 133).  I really struggled with my short game as I didn’t get up and down a single time. I put myself in some really tough spots from fw going for flags. So 7 bogeys and 2 birdies.  Highlight of the day:  Hole 14: 176yrds downhill ½ club. 8 iron to 4 feet, birdie.

Driver:     Cleveland Launcher DST 9.0 Degree, UST Proforce V2 67 X-Stiff
Wood:     Cleveland Launcher (2009) 15 Degrees, Stock shaft Stiff
Hybrid:    Adams Idea A2 20 Degree, stock shaft stiff
Irons:       Cleveland CG Red , 3-PW, DSG300 Stiff
Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM4 54 and 60 degrees
Putter:     Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 34.5 inches
Balls:      Titleist Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star XV

YES!!!  The best shot of the day - ALL of THEM!  

I finally got to play a round of golf after fracturing my heel.  It has been a long summer of just watching the PGA and not playing.  It was amazing.  Every shot was just really nice, even the sculled chip shots 🙂 

I was pleasantly surprised at how well I hit the ball.  The only issue was chipping.  No score to report as this 1st round was in a fund raiser and 4 person scramble.  One of our foursome dropped out due to injury.  Our 3 some played a nice round of 11 under par.

The good - I can play again

The bad - I have to take a cart, not walking this season.

What a great game, just really happy to hit the ball again.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

48, which is about average for me right now.  My shipping and pitching really let me down, but driver woke back up.  This is a humbling game.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Had time for a quick 9 holes this morning (1hour 50 minutes round). Shot 40 (+4) with 2 doubles from middle of the fairway - UGH!

Made a switch to Ping i20 irons with graphite shafts earlier this summer and I'm starting to see the improvement plus much less arthritis pain. Now just need time to play a full 18!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

After a good DR day, I decided to play a quick 9 on an executive course I have been playing well, lately.  No penalties like last time; but, did not play well over all (52).  No pars, but bogies on 6 holes and double bogies on 3.  Tended to play left on about every hole, leaving me with only 2 fairways and no GIR. While I hit some great wedge shots, I mainly left myself with 20' first putts and the one whole where I should have played a par, I left myself with a 6" putt after riming the hole.  Some good play from the rough, but no greens from the rough.  While I did about 35-40 minutes on the DR earlier, there was over an hour before first tee.  And while weather was quite warm, it was not oppressively hot to me and I was well hydrated.

So it was what it was.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

84 on a 137 (10.4 diff)

FW: 13/14

GIR: 9/18

putts: 39 (3 three putts) 😡😡

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Rocks and diamonds at my local links course 92 for a +4 over HC but then I just got back from 8 days at sea so never play well with that many days from swinging a Golf club... also last minute game with uncle + mate so next to nil warm up

Driver - B+ really good control from 8+ tee offs straight to fades only 2 poor high shots

Fairway/hybrid - C+ - One brilliant pull shot off the tee with 3w a Couple of roughies into the rough 

Irons - D - so many wayward shots mostly had distance right but far too many push shots 3 pull shots into tussocks equalling 3x  8"s on the card

P/Chip - C+ - Better than last game only one duff shot that landed short felt much more control great contacts etc just still pushing some shots

Putting- B - Much better dropped a couple tough downhill putts only one 3 putt

-Front 9- 48 -Back 44 

Worse shot of the day -well I had a few but after the rough from nine 48 I was in with a chance to least put a respectable back 9  ..coming onto the Par-4 -18th I was on 38 brilliant 280y drive to the right side of a very narrow fairway 120y out PW to play ... the ball was placed on a raised side uphill lie ..had to wait a few minutes for players in front to move on so didn't rush the shot ..

Well even after I told myself to aim left of the green (take out the bunkers to the right) I still pushed the shot right into a Bunker in line with the hole ..

Got to the bunker Ball Plugged DEEP 2 inches off the back face  .. I was pissed and then took two shots to get out plus 2 putted

Go Foxy Go

Played Eagle Chase in Marshville NC. Amazing greens, treacherous rough around the greens. Put up a horrible 48-54 split but struck the ball well. I lost tons of strokes chipping around the greens. I just could not get my clubhead through the rough with any control at all. Three putts and horrible chipping just destroyed me. The worst hole was a quad on the par 3 12th hole. Just missed the green to the right, kicked off and down the hill and went into the water. Take my drop and my chip comes up short and rolls back to my feet. Chip again and two putt for a 7.

Oh well.