IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

75 on s par 59 course. My “home” course. I didn’t play particularly well in the cold. But I did hit my driver pretty well and my putting was decent.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot a 97 (96 in GHIN due to ESC) in a brutal round Sunday morning. Cold and windy with lots of intermittent rain in the Bay Area. Played at Corica South, a relatively recent Rees Jones overhaul of a local muni, and considering the weather, the course was very playable due to great drainage.

Even so, my feet slipped frequently during swings, leading to a few mishits on straightforward shots. The green complexes at this course are large and undulating, and with wind and rain impacting the roll, I putted horribly (38 putts). Short game was awful too, and I went long over the green on multiple chips. Tee shots and approaches were decent (12 GIR/nGIR). Had one costly OB on a mid-iron approach that resulted in an 8, but other than that the round was penalty free.

I'd like to chalk this one up to bad weather, but I executed poorly as well.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

76 today. Started off bad with a 40 for the first 9. It was cold and very windy. Followed up with a strong even 36 round on the back. 1 bogey, 1 birdie, and 7 pars.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Not a good day today. After going +12 through 5, I played bogey golf the rest of the front nine for a 52. Then I went bogey-bogey-par-par to start the back. I thought I’d be able to pull a decent round together. Not quite. Three consecutive triples, then double-bogey on the last two for 49 on the back and a 101 total. My brother played as well, and didn’t play well. Four double digit scores. He lost three balls today, but only one was from playing. The other two he banked it off a hole sign and tried to catch it, but went into the pond 😂. We couldn’t stop laughing. Seriously, his driver is working well for him, but he doesn’t take time on his putts, resulting not infrequently in quintuple putts or worse. I want him to play with me on the team next year.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

A buddy and I went out and had a strange day yesterday. It was chilly with a light north wind, but not too bad during the day.

Played a course I haven't played before. I was somewhat doing my usual which should of equated to around 100 strokes or slightly less. My swing felt fantastic and simply a no stress swing. First 9 holes at 47 strokes, almost had a birdie on 9, but missed my put but got par, then got 5 bogies and another par. This was shaping up to be a decent round for me especially on a new and challenging course. Greens rolled like putting on concrete and some fairways had to be on the money!

Here is where it gets weird. We stopped at hole 10 cause no one was behind us and we decided to grab a few snacks. We said if anyone was behind us we would just let them play through. A guy pulls up behind us and we said go ahead and play through. He asked if he could play with us and we said sure, be weren't very good golfers. He said it was fine he was having a very bad day.

So I fire off the tee to hit one left slightly in the woods, which was not too bad because I pulled off a sweet second shot. This other guy plays from the blue tees and we are playing white tees. He does have a fairly decent drive, but in my opinion should have played white with us because his second shots were horrible. He had a not so bad short game, but since he could not get his second shots there, it did not make much difference. So I managed to bogie that hole and saved myself from the bad drive with a nice second shot and chip up onto the green.

Next I double bogie, then par and then I have no clue what happened to me. It was as if I just started playing my first ever game LOL The next hole was a 9 and then the next hole I drove it off into the woods and couldn't find it, then a drop and a total blow-out at 11 strokes.

I won the round, but I simply could not regain any composure no matter relaxed or tense I chose to be. It was embarrassing. I was hacking the ball on those bad holes like chopping wood. However I did save face to some degree with a bogey, then double bogey, then to trip bogies on the last two holes. On hole 18 though I did a sweet drive center fairway and a second shot just off the green front center. My chip was too long though and I finished the hole with four puts - ugghh. Of course, I was froze then because it was around 39 degrees and my hands were cold.

What in the world makes us fall apart like at certain times? Is it because I am 65 and tired, or just some dark cloud on certain holes that loom on the golf course awaiting the victims? 

Had the annual Fall Men's Scramble yesterday. Our group finished 3rd with 11 under. Really, a pretty nice day, overall.

We just came off the course this morning. Ummm, not sure who the guy was hitting the ball today, or should I say trying to hit it. After the first 5 holes, I tore up the scorecard and just tried hitting the ball. Continued like that for the next 10 holes, lots of doubles, picked up before the triples, and just said screw it as we came up to the hole behind our house. Packed it in and drove the golf cart into the back yard. Much better now with a bloody mary in hand.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

68 - 72 (-4) : Really good weekend. Every part of my game was on point. I´m finally hitting more greens, and more GIR means shotting lower scores.

Hugh improvement in my irons accuracy in the last weeks, a bit better dispersion with my driver and decent short game makes the game easier and more fun. Keeping the ball in play is crutial, i played with the same ball the last 4 rounds, no penalty´s. This summer looks good so far.   

Last day of the year for golf. Ended it kind of sadly. 

Long story short, I was 2 over through 15, had about 5 birdie putts that I missed, made 2 birdies, had about 4 insane recovery chips that I still don’t understand how I pulled off, and 4 bogeys that honestly shouldn’t have happened. 2 were 3 putts from on the green, one was trying a stupid hero shot and drilling a tree, and the last one was a flubbed chip. 

16 Tee I wildly miss the fairway with my fairway wood. It stings extra bad missing the fairway when you try to lay up, so I let it get in my head and decided to try yet another hero shot, drilled a tree and back into the fairway. Gun the yardage, 154 about an extra 10 uphill, so about 164. Torn between an 8 and a 7. My 8 goes about 164 max in the warm if I really up my tempo, and my 7 typically carries 178 in the warm, so I decided to play it safe and grip down on a 7 iron and flight the ball higher in the air so it carries shorter and stops better. Proceed to fly the green by about 10 yards because I absolutely poured the ball. Lose the ball in long grass behind green, return to previous shot, penalize myself for losing a ball and grab an 8 iron, then proceed to come up well short. You can see where I’m going with this. Finish with an 8. Now 6 over through 16, Finish 3 putt double bogey, and then par to shoot 80. 

Oh well, shit happens sometimes. Up until that point I was playing well. 11 GIR is a pretty good stat, but 11 GIR and only 7 being par or better is not good.

Edit: looked at scorecard and realized i actually shot double bogey, then par to finish. Kind of stings worse.

Edited by freshmanUTA

On 12/8/2019 at 2:21 PM, luchnia said:

He asked if he could play with us and we said sure, be weren't very good golfers. He said it was fine he was having a very bad day.

I hate it if random strangers ask me if they can join. I always lose my composure. I said "no" a few times and explained why, but they always give  me glimpse like I murdered their first born.

I played a 109 today. For some of you outrageously high, for me a very good round. 😎 Played better than my provisional handicap.

1 hour ago, Acemyass said:

I hate it if random strangers ask me if they can join. I always lose my composure. I said "no" a few times and explained why, but they always give  me glimpse like I murdered their first born.

I played a 109 today. For some of you outrageously high, for me a very good round. 😎 Played better than my provisional handicap.

I also hate it when I play by myself and end up playing with someone else.  I tell them that I am not that good, will probably shoot 90+.  If they want to still play together we do.  There have been times when I play with someone else that just joins in that I quit after 9, throw the clubs in the back of the truck and head for the coffee shop.  Doesn't matter how I am playing, but some people can be fun and relaxing to play with but some people are just assholes and I don't want to play with them, but don't find out that they are an asshole until you have started playing with them...

1 minute ago, Osnola said:

I also hate it when I play by myself and end up playing with someone else.

I enjoy golfing solo, but also in a group with friends or strangers. But I agree, if I start off a round alone, I get into a rhythm that is totally disrupted when someone else joins up.

I played an entire 18 holes completely alone (cold, rainy day and a soggy course) and ended up scoring a 92 yesterday. I felt really confident before the round because since my latest lesson (11/27) I've been hitting the ball really well, but for whatever reason I was totally out of sync the entire round, and had to grind out almost every hole. I had one absolutely majestic tee shot that rolled out to 290 yards in muddy fairways, but it came on the 17th hole, so just a bit too late.

Silver lining was that my poor play from tee / approach shots forced me into many creative recovery shots. I hit several perfectly executed low punch/hook shots to get out of tree trouble while advancing the ball toward the hole.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

I enjoy golfing solo, but also in a group with friends or strangers. But I agree, if I start off a round alone, I get into a rhythm that is totally disrupted when someone else joins up.

I think that's my biggest issue when someone wants to join up mid round, or even at the turn. Or for that matter, if someone drops out as well. I get into some kind of rhythm that becomes totally out of sync when adding or losing players.

But back on topic, I picked up on the poor play from yesterday into todays game. I can't remember the last time I had 6 double bogeys. An 86 (44-42), with 6 doubles, 4 bogeys, 6 pars, and 2 birdies. I think I need to take a little break and get my head screwed on right.

Shot a 96 at The Honors Course.

141 slope from the 6400 tees.

Probably the toughest golf course I've ever played. Classic Pete Dye. No bailouts, very penal. A few holes with OB or water on both sides. Gust of wind around 15-20 mph. Tough conditions with a stretch of 4 holes with wind directly in our faces. 

Despite the score (16.9 handicap), I am ok with my round. Back 9 I had 5 pars and a bogey with an 8, 8, 7. If I can clean up some errant play off the tee and stop short siding myself on elevated greens, it gives me confidence that I can play any course pretty well.

8 Dec in Iowa...  It was in the mid 40s....  Light wind. Today(the 9th)  it's snowing now with temps the next couple weeks in the 20s & 30s.  We're pretty much finally at the end of the year.

Ended up playing 36.  91 and 91... that's rare...…. Especially for me..  LOL   Been struggling with my driver the 1st 18 and finally figured a couple things out towards the end of the 2nd 18...…  Of course at the end of play...LOL  Hopefully I can remember it in the spring.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3