IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/14/2015 at 10:17 AM, kpaulhus said:

My 2016 goals are:

FIR: 50%

GIR: 50%

Putts per hole: 1.6

20 rounds under 80

5 rounds under 75

I would like to move up one flight in my Club Championship and place in the top 2 in either gross or net.

Hopefully <5 Handicap . Currently I am a 7.3.

Just providing an update....

Handicap is now below a 5. Was a 2.7 at the lowest. 

I am playing in the Championship Flight of my Club Championship next Friday.

3 rounds below 75.

12 rounds below 80.

My current year to date FIR and GIR % are 43.5% FIR and 39% GIR

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This year my goal was to break 90 more often then not. I've done that, with my last 5 rounds at , 87,88,86,87,88.

Now my goal is breaking 85. If I can just stop the 3 putting and control distance with my wedges I think I have a good shot at it. Hopefully I'll get there before I take my annual Dec trip to Palm Springs where the wife and I have a time share ( In know, I know, but it's one of those rare ones that work out just fine.

After 3 years of playing with Cobra Amp Cells (good entry level sticks) I bought new irons last night (TaylorMade RSI1s) and played them today 88 with three 3 putts on the card.

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

• 2 weeks later...

Break 80.

Achieved last month, on my home par-73 course :) :)

Funny ol' game isn't it? After struggling with either driver or irons all year, they finally have come together of late. But my putting has fallen off a cliff. Ye gads, golf gods, you are hard to please!

Break the century mark. In tantalizingly close; my last three rounds were 103, 102, 103. My biggest problem is the approach, from 150 to the edge of the green; I lose the most strokes in this range. My putting, driving, even my fairway shots have improved significantly, but I always manage to turn a routine approach into an up and up and down (or worse).

I would like to break 80 before the end of the year.  It's been a LONG time since I've done that.

:cobra:  :wilsonstaff:  :cleveland:

• Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver (10*), 3/4 Fwy (15.5*)
  • Adams Red (20*)
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW (24*,27*,31*,35*,39*,43*,47*, 51*)
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty (51*,55*,59*)
  • Cleveland TFI 6.5

On 07/13/2016 at 1:45 PM, Valleygolfer said:

Stay healthy, be a consistent ball striker (if I could stop trying to improve and change my swing) and get to a 10 cap.

Well I am somewhat healthy, not the most consistent ball striker, but I trending to a 9.8 cap... We'll see how month ends...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 2 weeks later...

Achieved my yearly goals today

.....to shoot a personal best and lower my hc, I shot a net 68 and dropped down a shot to 12.2

im guessing all the Ryder cup action inspired me! It's been a great tournament so far

• Upvote 1

Gaz Lee

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 7:48 PM, Shooting29 said:

My goals this year were to get my handicap back to scratch. Play in the final group of a two day tournament again. Qualify for my home club's Ryder Cup style event. And shoot my career best 9 hole and 18 hole scores. 

I met the second goal today as I am in the final group tomorrow of my home club's Memorial Weekend event. 

Well, this post feels like forever ago. As an update I met all but 1 of my written goals but there is still a little time left for that unmet goal.

I am currently at the lowest HI I've ever carried in my life. My previous low was a 0.4 about 10 years ago and my current sets at a +0.3 index for a course handicap of 0.

I shot my career best 65 on my home course which has a 70.2/135 rating/slope. I have shot lower scores but this was my best differential.

I did qualify for our Ryder Cup style event where I compiled a 2-1-1 record and  we won the Cup.

I still am trying to shoot 29 for 9 holes. 

On 5/12/2016 at 7:40 AM, ghalfaire said:

Rehab my new hip and get my handicap back down so the first digit isn't a 2.  My present handicap is a hangover from my old arthritic hip.

Well the new hip is finally working well and am hitting the ball about as well as I ever have in my senior life.  so am pleased.  so we'll see if the goal is obtainable this year.  As I am relearning hitting the ball well and scoring well are two different things. 

Butch

I was just reading a few articles about Jack Nicklaus. In one, he just turned 75 years old and was lamenting that the day he could not score below 75 would be the day he would stop playing altogether,. He then stated that day has come.  He can still draw a crowd obviously as people will line up six deep just to see him on the driving range. In a way, these articles give me a bit of consoling in that I need not set goals very high. I broke 80 twice in 2015 but will be lucky to break 90 often, this year. My index is trending downward but I only have a few scores recorded having lost all my spreadsheet data and had to start over. I doubt very seriously if I will ever achieve single digit status, but if I can just maintain what I have now, I will be satisfied. I am 75, and in good health considering I do not even have much of an exercise program. I consider this as I look down at my lean, flabby calved, veined legs, sunken eye sockets, thinning hair, and nasty disposition.  Reminds me of the commercial on TV. "I suck at golf, but I hope I can continue to suck at golf for a long time".

• Upvote 2

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I'm 10 months late to the party but my goals are:

1. Break 40 each nine

2. Break 80 for the round

3. Avoid double bogeys (or worse)

4. No 3 putts

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

2016 goal of a sub-10 HCP achieved with yesterday's revision. (9.7)

2017 goal:

#1. maintain eligibility for the Newport Cup

B. Average 61% GIR, 88% nGIR

4. Enjoy golf more with focus on long term betterment and less on scores (while they are related, I feel those are two separate entities) 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

2016 goal of a sub-10 HCP achieved with yesterday's revision. (9.7)

2017 goal:

#1. maintain eligibility for the Newport Cup

B. Average 61% GIR, 88% nGIR

4. Enjoy golf more with focus on long term betterment and less on scores (while they are related, I feel those are two separate entities) 

We'll have a 2017 goals thread starting in December. And a 2016 goals recap thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bloody hell...how have I let this one get away from me! 

Clearly need to work on objectives for 2017 but am pleased to see that Ive managed to take achieve one of the "when hell freezes over" goals :)

Objectives for when Hell freezes over 
1. handicap under 10
2. Score under 80 - ACHIEVED 30/10/16 with 5 over par 76!
2. Round at even par 
3. Hole in one 
4. Win my first competition - ACHIEVED 5 times now with the latest win on 30/10/16

Objectives for 2014 
1. Handicap under 20 - ACHIEVED 22/7//15
2. Score under 90 in a competition - achieved 13/9/14 (89!) 
3. 5 FIRs and GIRs - achieved 29/6/14 (6FIR, 5GIR) 
4. Under 30 putts - achieved 13/9/14 (28 putts, 8x1 putt, 11x2 putt)

5. Round with no three putts - achieved 13/9/14 
5. First Eagle  - achieved 6/6/15
6. Develop and reliable and consistent swing. Ongoing!

Objectivesfor 2013: 
1. First official handicap - achieved and now at the lofty heights of 24.9 
2. Round with two 3 putts - achieved 12/5/13 
3. Four FIRs and GIRs, achieved 12/3/13 
4. No lost balls in a round - achieved 19/5/13 
5. Six 1 putts - achieved 12/10/13 at my clubs annual Masters competition (I came 11th). 
6. Score under 100 - achieved 17/8/13 
7. Enter first competition - achieved 6/4/13 (with a massive medal score of 116!) 
8. Under 40 putts per round - achieved 30/3/13 
9. Round with no quadruple bogies - achieved 27/10/13 
10. First handicap drop - achieved 18/8/13 
11. First chip in - achieved 20/5/13 

Regards

Mailman

Edited by mailman

Mailman

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2015 at 8:20 AM, the fish said:

I am new again to golf as of April this year (played for about a year in 2011).  I am right on the cusp of breaking 90, and am confident I will do so by the end of this year.

For 2016, my goals are to shoot consistently in the 80s/low 90s, and eliminate any scores that have 3 digits.  I'd also like to break 80 in 2016.

I plan to achieve these goals by continuing evolvr lessons, applying what I've learned in Lowest Score Wins, and being diligent in practice.  Eliminating blowup holes will go a long way towards these goals I believe.

I partially achieved my goals.  I did shoot consistently in the low 90s, but only broke into the 80s a couple times.  I did not break 80, but did shoot an 81 at my home course.  I have not eliminated blowup holes, but I have reduced their frequency. 

I expect to have less time for golf in 2017, so my primary focus will be to at least maintain the level I am at (16 index).  I hope to improve on this, but will be happy so long as I do not backslide.

Note: This thread is 2682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!