IGNORED

R&A has decided Trump Turnberry won’t host British Open

caniac6
Note: This thread is 3059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Its a shame in regards to a great course like Turnberry not being on the rota  with all its history, but the right decision over all as there is no room for his hate campaigns (if thats the right thing to call them). At the end of the day there are other courses to take Turnberry's place

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

These folks are the same ones that turned the Lockerbie bomber lose?  

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club does not actually control the legal system or prisons in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Know your own history. Why was the Eisenhower tree on Augusta called the Eisenhower tree? Because as POTUS he lobbied to get this tree taken down,  it interfered him playing golf.

Didn't we already try to mix sports and politics? Olympic boycott jumps to mind.  Wasn't it a dismal failure in the final analysis?  Sports is an escape from all of this crap and should not be used as some sort of social engineering.  We can't be hypocritical and say R&A is making a good decision yet look the other way at the shenanigans at Augusta National and undoubtedly some other clubs on the circuit.

While it is the right of the R&A to do as it pleases, IMHO it is trading tradition for politics and that never ends well.  

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Know your own history. Why was the Eisenhower tree on Augusta called the Eisenhower tree? Because as POTUS he lobbied to get this tree taken down,  it interfered him playing golf.

True, but they didn't take it down.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

36 minutes ago, ev780 said:

Didn't we already try to mix sports and politics? Olympic boycott jumps to mind.  Wasn't it a dismal failure in the final analysis?  Sports is an escape from all of this crap and should not be used as some sort of social engineering.  We can't be hypocritical and say R&A is making a good decision yet look the other way at the shenanigans at Augusta National and undoubtedly some other clubs on the circuit.

While it is the right of the R&A to do as it pleases, IMHO it is trading tradition for politics and that never ends well.  

How do you think this will end?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

45 minutes ago, jamo said:

How do you think this will end?

Anger and resentment.  Stubbornness by both sides and the only loser will be the fans across the pond and of the Open who lose a great venue for the open rotation. 

All over someone mouthing off.  If I got in serious trouble over mouthing off I would have been living under the Las Vegas Strip with the rest of the tunnel dwellers years ago.

20 minutes ago, ev780 said:

Anger and resentment.  Stubbornness by both sides and the only loser will be the fans across the pond and of the Open who lose a great venue for the open rotation. 

All over someone mouthing off.  If I got in serious trouble over mouthing off I would have been living under the Las Vegas Strip with the rest of the tunnel dwellers years ago.

I think you guys are largely overestimating how much anybody cares about things we no longer see.  There will always be too much to discuss every year regarding the actual Open host that there will never be any repercussions in regards to courses that are out of the picture.  They will quickly fall into the category of "long forgotten" or something in that realm.  Princes Golf Club, Prestwick, Cherry Hills, Shoal Creek ... the Opens aren't hurting by not being held at these venues.

In a similar vein, if Bernhard Langer, Tim Clark, Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley**, etc. disappears off the face of the earth next month because of the anchored stroke ban, we will barely bat an eye.

Out of sight, out of mind.

**Those two have kind of already disappeared though. :-P

4 hours ago, Baog said:

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club does not actually control the legal system or prisons in the UK.

True I suspect.  But what sense does it make for the R&A to remove Turnberry from the rotation?  Certainly doesn't hurt Donald Trump.  As best I can tell it is only "The Open" that suffers.  So I guess I posed the question as this really doesn't make any sense to me just like the bomber release didn't.  But it is their Open and country so they can do whatever they please as far as I am concerned.  But I have to say who I do or don't vote for will not be affected by where the Open is played, or what the R&A thinks of Donald Trump, or who they choose to keep in jail or release from Jail.

Butch

30 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I think you guys are largely overestimating how much anybody cares about things we no longer see.  There will always be too much to discuss every year regarding the actual Open host that there will never be any repercussions in regards to courses that are out of the picture.  They will quickly fall into the category of "long forgotten" or something in that realm.  Princes Golf Club, Prestwick, Cherry Hills, Shoal Creek ... the Opens aren't hurting by not being held at these venues.

In a similar vein, if Bernhard Langer, Tim Clark, Webb Simpson and Keegan Bradley**, etc. disappears off the face of the earth next month because of the anchored stroke ban, we will barely bat an eye.

What a downer man! :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

20 minutes ago, ghalfaire said:

True I suspect.  But what sense does it make for the R&A to remove Turnberry from the rotation?  Certainly doesn't hurt Donald Trump.  As best I can tell it is only "The Open" that suffers.  So I guess I posed the question as this really doesn't make any sense to me just like the bomber release didn't.  But it is their Open and country so they can do whatever they please as far as I am concerned.  But I have to say who I do or don't vote for will not be affected by where the Open is played, or what the R&A thinks of Donald Trump, or who they choose to keep in jail or release from Jail.

I guess I see it completely the opposite. There are a dozen of golf courses that could host the Open as well or better than Turnberry. It's a nice courses, but I wouldn't miss it. But there's only one Open. It would be big for Turnberry to lose that.

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 minute ago, jamo said:

I guess I see it completely the opposite. There are a dozen of golf courses that could host the Open as well or better than Turnberry. It's a nice courses, but I wouldn't miss it. But there's only one Open. It would be big for Turnberry to lose that.

I'm coming down on the same side with @jamo, I think the loser will be Turnberry Resort, and by extention, Mr. Trump.  Turnberry has only hosted 4 Open Championships, the earliest being 1977, but I'm sure the resort demands extremely high greens fees at the course and room rates in the hotel largely due to its status as an Open venue.  Take that away, and the demand, and the prices, will drop.  I just read a claim in another article that the European Tour has, at least for now, dropped Trump's Aberdeen course from consideration for the Scottish Open:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/12047415/European-Tour-rips-up-Scottish-Open-plans-after-Donald-Trump-furore.html

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm coming down on the same side with @jamo, I think the loser will be Turnberry Resort, and by extention, Mr. Trump.  Turnberry has only hosted 4 Open Championships, the earliest being 1977, but I'm sure the resort demands extremely high greens fees at the course and room rates in the hotel largely due to its status as an Open venue.  Take that away, and the demand, and the prices, will drop.  I just read a claim in another article that the European Tour has, at least for now, dropped Trump's Aberdeen course from consideration for the Scottish Open:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/12047415/European-Tour-rips-up-Scottish-Open-plans-after-Donald-Trump-furore.html

Don't the courses make considerable profit from hosting as well?

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Maybe.  But a bit of history dies in the process.

2 minutes ago, ev780 said:

Maybe.  But a bit of history dies in the process.

No it doesn't because the history is already there with the Opens in its past and there is always room for it making its way back into the Open rotation in the future, I'm sure, if Trump sells it or whatever.  Plus, it's not like there were only 4 amazing courses in the entirety of Great Britain and now there is going to be this big black hole where its played on a goat track every time Turnberrys turn comes up.  It's going to continue to rotate at all of the other amazing venues and maybe they'll add some new amazing venue to spice it up.

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Don't the courses make considerable profit from hosting as well?

No idea, but I did find this regarding the host city of last years US Open: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article45002841.html

21 hours ago, newtogolf said:

It's a huge gamble for the R&A and PGA Tour.  Trump could end up being the POTUS in which case they would have to eat huge portions of crow and kiss Trumps ugly ass to get back in his good graces.

A move like this would make much more sense if Trump were last in the polls, not first.

I don't think it is a huge gamble.   Trump trails Clinton by far in general election poll.   I can't see how he can beat her with all the things he has said against Hispanics, Muslims, women.   Heck, I still don't see Trump getting the Rep nomination.   Once the field narrows, he will be 2nd choice to whoever emerges out of Rubio, Cruz camp.    In fact, it's shrewd move to pull out of Trump's courses.   It will go far for their image.

41 minutes ago, jamo said:

+1.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!