IGNORED

H(ome), A(way), T(ournament); What Is Your Handicap Makeup?

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Handicaps  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What type of scores make up your handicap?

• "H" only. I play almost all of my rounds at home and don't compete in tournaments.
    • "A" only. I don't really have a home course, nor do I compete in tournaments.
    • "T" only. I live to compete, rarely do I play a round outside of a tournament that isn't a practice round.
    • "H" and "A" mix. I play all around but I don't compete.
    • "H" and "T" mix. I play all my rounds at my club, but I do play tournaments as well.
    • "A" and "T" mix. I play all around, sometimes I compete and sometimes I don't.
    • A mix of all three. I have a home course, but I like to play all around, and I like to compete in tournaments as well.

There's been a lot of talk around the golf world, and in other threads on here, about the eventual move to an International handicapping system.  One that will, perhaps, meld some aspects of each the current separate ones.  So us Americans might see a drop off in casual rounds counting (read: new rule discounting solo rounds), and thus handicaps might trend up, and those in other parts of the world might see the opposite effect.  (The best part is that @Shorty will have one less thing about us sandbagging Americans to complain about. J/K buddy. :beer:)

So it got me to wondering what is everybody's current handicap most made up of, and consequently, how much do you think it might be affected in a few years when the changes (granted, we're just speculating what those will actually be so this is only a guess) are all in place?

My current last 20 are made up of 5 Tournament rounds, 4 Home rounds, and 11 Away rounds.  So where do you stand?  Do you exclusive compete?  Or are you just a weekend casual player at your home course?  Or somewhere in between?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I meant to also add that I feel like that 5/4/11 breakdown is a pretty good mix for me.  I have a home course that I can score well on, but it doesn't make up a huge percentage of my rounds, so I think my handicap "travels" fairly well.  Thus, I think (hope) that when the changes are all in place, I won't see a big jump in my numbers.

I post from my home course and my league course mostly. We play three tournaments at three different alternate courses for the league as well. I also have four other courses I play routinely with my retired friends.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 Home rounds and 11 Away.  Sadly, it's been nearly 8 months since my last tournament. My own damn, lazy fault.  I need to correct that....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Mix of H, A, and C rounds. I haven't played in a tournament yet. My current revision (dates back to 9/14, I need to play more golf) has 4 H, 10 A, and 6 C.

My home course is just a muni close by, but I usually play 18 anywhere I can find a reasonable tee time that fits my schedule. I also like to play different courses so I'll switch it up just for the variety. The 9 hole rounds I play are usually after work during the week.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My situation is a bit different.  I am a member of a club-without-real-estate.  The only "H" scores I record are also always "T".  And the "H" courses are 9-13 different courses spread around the Detroit Metro area.  Of the last 20 scores, all are "A" and only one is an "AT".  Our "Out of Season" starts on 11/1 and runs until 4/1 so nothing has been posted in 3 months.  Also, our club is only active from May to August so all the "HT" scores have been washed out.

Of 82 scores posted during the active handicap season in 2015, 9 were "HT", 7 were "AT" and the rest were "A".

Brian Kuehn

24 minutes ago, billchao said:

Mix of H, A, and C rounds. I haven't played in a tournament yet. My current revision (dates back to 9/14, I need to play more golf) has 4 H, 10 A, and 6 C.

My home course is just a muni close by, but I usually play 18 anywhere I can find a reasonable tee time that fits my schedule. I also like to play different courses so I'll switch it up just for the variety. The 9 hole rounds I play are usually after work during the week.

Whoops, I apologize for that ... I forgot that Combo rounds are their own designation.:8)  There aren't any other type of rounds that I missed, are there?

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

My current last 20

What is the range (dates) of your history, Drew? I mainly play in club events which are "T" eligible.

My current 20 rounds dates back to Sept, 9-5 to 11-10 in 2015 with only one away, the rest are home. My "T" history is from rounds in club events on 7-2 (75) and 8-9 (75) The "T" scores stay active for one year, unless I have a better "T" than the two used. Most of my tournaments are played April - Sept, then they get washed out by current active rounds.

Also, I believe the "Two Lowest Eligible Tournament Scores" is only used to prevent a players index from rising a certain amount, then the big "R" comes into play.

For an individual who only plays tournaments, then the history would not show "A or H" even if they played on their home course, only "T"

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

What is the range (dates) of your history, Drew? I mainly play in club events which are "T" eligible.

My current 20 rounds dates back to Sept, 9-5 to 11-10 in 2015 with only one away, the rest are home. My "T" history is from rounds in club events on 7-2 (75) and 8-9 (75) The "T" scores stay active for one year, unless I have a better "T" than the two used. Most of my tournaments are played April - Sept, then they get washed out by current active rounds.

Also, I believe the "Two Lowest Eligible Tournament Scores" is only used to prevent a players index from rising a certain amount, then the big "R" comes into play.

For an individual who only plays tournaments, then the history would not show "A or H" even if they played on their home course, only "T"

It goes back to May 28 of last year.

ghin-card.jpg.cad055eeb1e4cf0d7b1eb1b623

My "two lowest eligible tournament scores" are both in that last 20, and my "number of eligible tournament scores" matches what is shown on that card ... 5.  Obviously, I don't play as often as I would like to at this point.  That will go up as the kids get older and it will go way up if any or all of the kids get into golf. :)

1 hour ago, billchao said:

54 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Whoops, I apologize for that ... I forgot that Combo rounds are their own designation.:8)  There aren't any other type of rounds that I missed, are there?

There you go coloring outside the lines again @billchao

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It goes back to May 28 of last year.

That will go up as the kids get older and it will go way up if any or all of the kids get into golf. :).  :beer:

Another factor, many live in regions where the season is in-active Nov - March, unless they travel to warmer areas.

We'll good luck playing often and being the great "Golfing Dad" that you are.......

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There you go coloring outside the lines again @billchao

LOL ... I noticed that there is also a "P" designation for penalty ... but I can't imagine that is very frequently used. :-P

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

Another factor, many live in regions where the season is in-active Nov - March, unless they travel to warmer areas.

I sometimes forget that and then feel a little bad about it later.  I am blessed to be able to play year round over here! :)

19 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I noticed that there is also a "P" designation for penalty ... but I can't imagine that is very frequently used.

Don't "P" off your handicap committee. They stay active for a year and usually there a score = 72 or Par.

A friend at the club didn't post about 8 or so rounds, the committee slapped him with 10 P's of 72, he had to play scratch for one year from the date.

14 H and 6 A. That is a little higher than my standard A quantity. I will typically have 1-3 T, 1-2 A and the rest H. I play mainly at my home club because I pay each month to belong there. My A's will usually be a guys trip, or a rare round at another local club. 

Michael

If you look at my list right now it only shows H and A, but since I rejoined my old Men's Club this year, it will reflect T scores too starting in April.  For that reason I voted all 3.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

45 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Don't "P" off your handicap committee. They stay active for a year and usually there a score = 72 or Par.

A friend at the club didn't post about 8 or so rounds, the committee slapped him with 10 P's of 72, he had to play scratch for one year from the date.

Oh, interesting.  I didn't know that.  :beer:

I voted all three, now I'm most of the time going to be playing my home course But I do play away frequently with friends at their clubs.   But we have a pretty good tournament schedule and I play the state local am tournaments throughout the year as well.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I looked at my past 12 months of scores.  I had 50 at home, 28 away. Those 78 rounds included  20 tournament scores, of which 15 were at home, and 5 were away (including 3 at Moon Valley).  With the handicap rules revisions, the only significant change I envision is a probable reduction in the tournament rounds.  Our interclub league will evaluate whether the wording about T rounds will eliminate us from posting the match scores as T rounds.  Routine weekly or monthly league play may not qualify, but we only play eight matches a year, so I have a feeling that those will still be posted as T scores.  I play on my own so seldom that I don't think that change will affect me at all.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!