IGNORED

Awards! Now Available Again!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Awards are now available!

In fact, if you check out http://thesandtrap.com/awards/, you'll see the ones I've created. Later tonight (or, more likely, tomorrow) I hope to wrap up the Member of the Year/Month, Kickstarter of the Year/Month, and Rookie of the Year/Month awards.

I've divided the "awards" into two categories.

First are "Awards" which are more site-specific types of things. Like the "Rookie of the Month" award. They are seen under the signature on the forum.

Second, we have "Achievements." These are going to be golf-specific things, like for those who have made a hole-in-one. I also plan to make achievements for breaking 100, 90, 80, and par.

What other types of awards or achievements do you think we should have?

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas featured this topic
15 minutes ago, iacas said:

In fact, if you check out http://thesandtrap.com/awards/, you'll see the ones I've created. Later tonight (or, more likely, tomorrow) I hope to wrap up the Member of the Year/Month, Kickstarter of the Year/Month, and Rookie of the Year/Month awards.

First are "Awards" which are more site-specific types of things. Like the "Rookie of the Month" award. They are seen under the signature on the forum.

Second, we have "Achievements." These are going to be golf-specific things, like for those who have made a hole-in-one. I also plan to make achievements for breaking 100, 90, 80, and par.

Cool. Thanks!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Stupid Monkey is really cool. Noticed you have been playing around with them.

New Awards ???

How about a Hole N 1 ???

Really doesn't have much to do with the site, but a thought.

O'h, you made ONE.

Newport Cup !!!  :-)

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Perhaps a GAME Golf themed award like knocking 1 or 2 shots off your weakest area? (after x number of posted rounds)

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

Looks great, few achievement ideas;

• Albatross
  • Tournament Winner - Club or USGA
  • Most Improved Golfer - greatest reduction of official handicap.

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

In the achievements section, perhaps one for winning a tournament?

Agree!  But, any award based on performance or a threshold of some sort should be verifiable...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Perhaps a GAME Golf themed award like knocking 1 or 2 shots off your weakest area? (after x number of posted rounds)

That's tough to verify, and I expect the algorithms they use will change over time.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

In the achievements section, perhaps one for winning a tournament?

What level tournament? How do we verify? It's a good idea, just asking… (I do wonder what icon I'd use for it… I'm gonna run out of prize looking things).

1 hour ago, davechen said:

Cool.  Could I get a LSW award?

Done.

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Looks great, few achievement ideas;

• Albatross
  • Tournament Winner - Club or USGA
  • Most Improved Golfer - greatest reduction of official handicap.

I view achievements as things that you should just earn, not things that get passed around. So albatross is fine (but how many of those are there?), tournament winner I spoke to above (it too is good), but "most improved" doesn't really fit.

There are also automated awards or achievements you can get. For example, when you hit 1000 Skins, or 200 people visit your profile page, or you make 36 posts, or whatever. I can basically make whatever sorts of automated rules I want.

Interesting note, too: version 1.0.2 uses SVG files, which is great for high-resolution displays. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some great awards stuff there. For those of us still fairly new to tst, can u explain how they get handed out. I.e. Do u have to do it all by yourself or do the members add the awards they're eligible for somehow?

7 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Some great awards stuff there. For those of us still fairly new to tst, can u explain how they get handed out. I.e. Do u have to do it all by yourself or do the members add the awards they're eligible for somehow?

For the LSW badge, just buy the book Lowest Score Wins by Erik Barzeski and Dave Wedzik.

To get the stupid monkey badge, check this thread out. It takes a while to get into the mindset including learning how to practice, keeping focus on what your priority piece is and working on that.

The achievement badges are more self-explanatory.

Scott

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

For the LSW badge, just buy the book Lowest Score Wins by Erik Barzeski and Dave Wedzik.

To get the stupid monkey badge, check this thread out. It takes a while to get into the mindset including learning how to practice, keeping focus on what your priority piece is and working on that.

The achievement badges are more self-explanatory.

Are we sure there isn't something more, @boogielicious? I've done both those things and I don't have them. I'm on my 5th time re-reading LSW. Not that I care about rewards... I would rather have a lower handicap :-)

Dave

13 minutes ago, Dave325 said:

Are we sure there isn't something more, @boogielicious? I've done both those things and I don't have them. I'm on my 5th time re-reading LSW. Not that I care about rewards... I would rather have a lower handicap :-)

My young padawan, more to being a stupid monkey there is than saying work you have done.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dave325 said:

You have to tell me about it… I don't know what name and mailing address corresponds to what username! :-)

I've given you the LSW badge. The Stupid Monkey one takes some time to earn. It's a true badge of honor.

• iacas unfeatured this topic
14 hours ago, iacas said:

What level tournament? How do we verify? It's a good idea, just asking… (I do wonder what icon I'd use for it… I'm gonna run out of prize looking things).

Not sure about the icon thing ;) but in regards to the specifics;

I notice for the existing awards that if you hover over it, there are notes.  Perhaps the tournament champion icon could be a generic type trophy, and if we see it and want to know more about it, we hover.  Then in that window are the specifics.o that would mean that any member who has ever won any tournament at any level could boast if they wanted and just give the details in that pop-up.  I also envision something similar for your "Break 100, 90, 80" badges.  It would be nice if we see the badge and then can learn that perhaps they just reached it and can congratulate them, whereas if I see that @Ernest Jones broke 90 on a Par 42 course 3 years ago, I'll be much less impressed.:-P

I realize this may mean more work for you, so I think it only makes sense if its easy for you to copy and paste and then just tell us that when we request an award that we write a xxx character tag that we want visible along with it.

Anyways, that was my thought.

This is pretty cool. I just finished reading my copy of LSW. I registered my copy on the website and will start reading again before the golf season starts back up. Hopefully I can get myself a couple rewards like you veterans:)

42 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Not sure about the icon thing ;) but in regards to the specifics;

I notice for the existing awards that if you hover over it, there are notes.  Perhaps the tournament champion icon could be a generic type trophy, and if we see it and want to know more about it, we hover.  Then in that window are the specifics.o that would mean that any member who has ever won any tournament at any level could boast if they wanted and just give the details in that pop-up.  I also envision something similar for your "Break 100, 90, 80" badges.  It would be nice if we see the badge and then can learn that perhaps they just reached it and can congratulate them, whereas if I see that @Ernest Jones broke 90 on a Par 42 course 3 years ago, I'll be much less impressed.:-P

I realize this may mean more work for you, so I think it only makes sense if its easy for you to copy and paste and then just tell us that when we request an award that we write a xxx character tag that we want visible along with it.

Anyways, that was my thought.

It was a par 64, and **** you. 

:-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!