IGNORED

What Do You Do - Chance to Beat Your All Time Birdie Streak

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Birdie Streaks  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Can a birdie streak span more than 18 holes?

• Yes - same day, same golf session - you are good to go.
    • No -all "streaks" most be contained within 18 holes.

I was going to ask this several months ago but it slipped my mind.  My "modern"* birdie streak stands at 3.  I think I have done it twice.

In October, 2015, I started on hole #10, the hardest hole on my home course.  I played well and eventually worked my way around to #7.  Birdie.  Then #8. Birdie. I hit a nice tee shot on #9 and proceeded to put my approach on the green, maybe 12 feet away.  As I walked to the green, I pondered the "what if". What if I make this putt for my 3rd birdie in a row?  Do I trudge over to #10 (hardest hole) and try to make 4 in a row?  Should I go to #1, a par 5 and a much better candidate for a birdie?  Will the streak be "tainted" by playing more than 18 holes?  Does anyone other than me really care (no). 

Well, long story longer, I missed the putt so I never had to make a decision.  Still, if it ever happens again, would playing 27 taint the streak?

I call it "modern" because once, before I could even break 45 for nine, I went eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie.  It was such a fluke and I doubt beat "45" for the nine.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Does anyone other than me really care (no). 

There you go, count it any way you want.  If its me, I'd say you should play the holes in the right order (go from 9 to 10), and in the same day.  Finishing with 3 in a row on Saturday, and starting with 2 on Sunday, in my mind that wouldn't count as 5 in a row, even though logically it IS 5 in a row.  I have no logical defense of that position, just my unsupported personal opinion.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I .went wih no, they have to be in same 18 holes. No particular reason other than the second round is a new starting point. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I suppose both could be considered when playing for fun. I wouldn't have a problem telling the story of how I made X birdies throughout a day of golf. A day of good golf is what it is. I'd be most happy how it affects my scoring stats. I can't log on to Game Golf for some reason but in 82 rounds I think just 3% birdie average. I'll take 'em any way I can't 'em.

Dave :-)

Must be the same 18 hole round of golf with holes played in order...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

A win streak in any other sport carries over from season to season so why should golf be any different?  If it bothers you put an asterisk next to it ;). But I'd agree they should be consecutive holes in order or you'd need another asterisk and that can get messy and ruin a story.

• Upvote 1

golf is special that way...win streaks and birdie streaks aren't comparable.............  that's why PGA tour birdie streak records are recorded they way they are. (for 18 holes)

Kansas Huh?   enjoying the warm weather this weekend???  I played golf today and it was 70!!  LOVIN' IT!!   hahaha...I will play tomorrow too FOR SURE!!  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

There you go, count it any way you want.  If its me, I'd say you should play the holes in the right order (go from 9 to 10), and in the same day.  Finishing with 3 in a row on Saturday, and starting with 2 on Sunday, in my mind that wouldn't count as 5 in a row, even though logically it IS 5 in a row.  I have no logical defense of that position, just my unsupported personal opinion.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

I .went wih no, they have to be in same 18 holes. No particular reason other than the second round is a new starting point. 

I agree with both of these guys.  It wouldn't matter to me how anybody else did this, but I'd only consider these type of things within the course of the same round.  The exception being just personal milestone things like "I've played 68 holes in a row without a 3-putt!" or something along those lines.

I've never paid attention to a birdie streak before, and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't ever really have those, I wouldn't even be able to tell you what mine was.  But since it was only recently that I've ever made more than 3 in a single round, it's a safe bet I never had more than two in a row anyway.:beer:

41 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I agree with both of these guys.  It wouldn't matter to me how anybody else did this, but I'd only consider these type of things within the course of the same round.  The exception being just personal milestone things like "I've played 68 holes in a row without a 3-putt!" or something along those lines.

I've never paid attention to a birdie streak before, and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't ever really have those, I wouldn't even be able to tell you what mine was.  But since it was only recently that I've ever made more than 3 in a single round, it's a safe bet I never had more than two in a row anyway.:beer:

I had 3 consecutive rounds in high 70s last week.. I was hoping for 4 but I decided to go play in 40-50 mph wind and shot a 92. So much for that 70s streak. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

There is some logic. If you play all the super easy holes in a row I would think you could stack the odds in your favor?

2 birdies in a row. Holes 5 and 6 of my shorter home course. Par 3 175 yards- 7i on a hot summer day to 20 feet, made the putt. Par 4 361 yards- Drive 275-ish, LW to within 8 feet uphill putt which I made. Did not have GG at the time. Now, I wish I did.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My wife and I were golfing one day as a two-some. I made bird on the first two holes and were on our way to the third hole. As we drove to the next tee we saw two groups on the tee, a group in the fairway and a group on the green. I said to her "let's grab some lunch an play later.

So, we go grab lunch and headed back out. We join another couple and played. I birdie the first and second hole again.

On the third tee I said to my friend  "I'm four under for the day"

He gave me one of those looks and I explained how we played 1 & 2 earlier.

It was a good laugh. It was a good streak while it lasted.....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I see it as two different things.  

1. Consecutive Birdie streak

2. Most birdies in a single round

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just put a little asterisk after the number, and you're covered legally.:beer: Asterisks always make for good stories.

(Actually, I voted no- gotta be same round for me). But @Ernest Jones's logic above is bulletproof.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

My wife and I were golfing one day as a two-some. I made bird on the first two holes and were on our way to the third hole. As we drove to the next tee we saw two groups on the tee, a group in the fairway and a group on the green. I said to her "let's grab some lunch an play later.

So, we go grab lunch and headed back out. We join another couple and played. I birdie the first and second hole again.

On the third tee I said to my friend  "I'm four under for the day"

He gave me one of those looks and I explained how we played 1 & 2 earlier.

It was a good laugh. It was a good streak while it lasted.....

A 4-birdie streak!*

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

4 minutes ago, RandallT said:

A 4-birdie streak!*

How often does one have the opportunity to declared they were "four under after two holes".  :dance:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

4 hours ago, LagShaft said:

A win streak in any other sport carries over from season to season so why should golf be any different?  If it bothers you put an asterisk next to it ;). But I'd agree they should be consecutive holes in order or you'd need another asterisk and that can get messy and ruin a story.

A birdie streak would be more comparable to something like consecutive 3-point shots made, not a season long winning streak.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

If you play long enough, all kinds of things can happen in Golf.  Heck, eventually on your home course you end up eagling or birding every single hole. 

My record is 2 birdies in a row and the second was a fluke that slammed into the cup - it should have been 10 yards behind the back of the green. 

Never mind getting 3 consecutive birdies, apparently Mark Calcavecchia recorded 8 consecutive birdies during his 2009 Canadian Open round. 

9 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I see it as two different things.  

1. Consecutive Birdie streak

2. Most birdies in a single round

This is how I see them as well, so I said yes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!