IGNORED

How much does driver technology really matter?

Brian96
Note:Β This thread is 2967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I didn't do too much research on TST before writing this, so if there is another thread that discusses this please let me know. I'd like to hear what people have to say.

So, I'm looking to get a new driver. I'm currently using a Callaway RAZR Hawk, with an Aldila NV 85 X shaft. The reason I'm looking started because I wanted to hit more fairways. I'm not looking for more distance, but if I get a few more yards that would be nice. At least that's what I told myself. Really, I think I'm just bored of it and want to see what else is out there. Probably just going to get a 2015 model, since I'm not the type who likes to drop $300+ on one club.

After looking around a bit and reading/watching reviews my thoughts started to change about how much a new driver will actually do for me vs. just putting some more range time in. I realized that I was probably fooling myself, and that anything new wouldn't really do much.

So I started to look around for some reviews on old vs new drivers to see if anyone has done a comparison. I'd like to see how much the numbers (spin rate, distance, dispersion, etc) changed from year to year with all the "innovations". I couldn't really find anything, so I'm going to take my current driver with me when I hit the new ones and see how different the numbers are, if any. I know it won't be exactly apples to apples, but I'd still like to see what my current driver is doing. I never had it on a launch monitor before, and never had it fitted, which really is probably my biggest issue. I've also seen some videos suggesting that shafts don't really make much difference in performance, but rather more with feel. Would like to see if my extra stiff shaft really makes much of a difference, or is it just my perception that is effected.

I have a feeling anyone who really put a driver from 2012 and 2015 from the same manufacturer head to head, the results wouldn't be very welcome by the manufacturer. Just my opinion, but I'm sure most of the new "innovations" are just marketing. I know I'm not alone with that thought.

I'll try to get out to some shops this weekend to hit a few and will report back. Maybe with a new driver, and maybe not.

I think the question is difficult to answer. I think if you go through a high level custom fitting, you would likely notice some very big differences between drivers and driver/shaft combinations. I am not talking about just trying the few clubs that the rep brings to a demo day....I'm talking about a high tech fitting by these companies who have ALL the club heads and hundreds of shafts and can fit virtually any manufacturer's clubhead with any top level shaft....in different flexes....combined with different hosel settings.....etc.

When I fitted for a driver last year, I was astonished at the differences in spin, distance, etc., which showed up on the monitor.

But another wayΒ many of us judgeΒ if there is a "difference" is to compare performance on theΒ golf course. I think most of the time when I get a *new* club, I "notice" big differences when playing, at least at first. Confirmation bias, right?Β I just bought this club, I sure as hell am going to want to see improvement.

But over time, does the improvement sustain? Do scores improve? I think this is much harder to judge. Someone of your level - 2.7 index - probably WOULD notice an improvement in your play, provided your baseline driver is not already perfectly fitted for you. Anyone with a handicap much over 5 or 6 might have more trouble noticing an enduring difference, because there are so many errorsΒ made by this class of golferΒ that have nothing to do with the design or fitting of the club.

Interested to seeΒ what your final conclusion and decision is.

Β Β 

• Upvote 1

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4Β Hybrid:Β Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW:Β Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel InsertΒ 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, from what @SavvySwede andΒ  @saevel25 mentioned in other threads, technology is helping quite a bit.

I wouldn't really know because I use 3+ year old technology, but am saving up for a TM M2 driver. The Ping G driver is also really nice. Both get more distance than my current Ping i25 with similar shafts.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Well, from what @SavvySwede andΒ  @saevel25 mentioned in other threads, technology is helping quite a bit.

I wouldn't really know because I use 3+ year old technology, but am saving up for a TM M2 driver. The Ping G driver is also really nice. Both get more distance than my current Ping i25.

Depends on how you define "quite a bit", if @Brian96 is getting optimal numbers out of his driver the most he could gain is a little forgiveness. With the new stuff you're knocking off 100rpm here, another 100rpm there, a degree here, etc. It can add up to a lot but you really need to be properly fit to take full advantage. If he just goes to Golfsmith and hits a fewΒ  demo clubs with stock shafts he may not see much difference

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The high launch/low spin thing is real, and probably the biggest "breakthrough" in golf tech in in the last five years.Β  (Adjustable hosel tech is pretty big, but really it's just a means to customize so you can optimize launch/spin.)Β  TM claims the SLDR (2013 release) was the first driver engineered solely to achieve high launch/low spin, but golf physics nerds have I think understood HL/LS for quite a while.

So to answer "does driver tech really matter" depends on what optimal gear helps YOU achieve HL/LS.Β  I guess the trackman is the golf tech that matters most in that equation.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

8 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Depends on how you define "quite a bit", if @Brian96 is getting optimal numbers out of his driver the most he could gain is a little forgiveness. With the new stuff you're knocking off 100rpm here, another 100rpm there, a degree here, etc. It can add up to a lot but you really need to be properly fit to take full advantage. If he just goes to Golfsmith and hits a fewΒ  demo clubs with stock shafts he may not see much difference

Is properly fit meaning going to a Ping fitter?

At Roger dunn, I could have spent $29 to get properly fit by a Ping fitter. However, prior to going to the store, I went to the Ping website and punched in my GG numbers and got a fit that improved my drives on the simulator 5 yards over my PIng i25. I was fit for a 9 degree G with Alta 55gm stiff shaft.

It's definitely worth an extra $29 and half an hour if I can get another 5 yards over this crude fit.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm carrying a 2003, 330cc Cleveland Launcher.Β 

:-D

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

New technology only really helps achieve more consistency, in my experience. My longest drives across all the different drivers I've used in the past few years is very similar, however when I had my G25 I was much more consistent than I had ever been. What you have to be careful of is getting lulled into buying a driver that you get one or two amazingly long drives but the rest are mediocre or even someone bad. You want to find a driver that the majority of your drives are good while keeping the bad shots to a minimum. I fell for the "amazing distance" driver and paid for because even though my longest drive was huge, my average distance was pretty sad because my bad drives where just horrendous. Take your time, get a thorough fitting while trying as may different options as possible. Go in with an open mind and a budget in mind. If you can't afford 400-500 for a driver don't even bother hitting it. Above all else, have fun! Getting fitted for my clubs was perhaps the most fun I've had in a long time, in relation to golfing at least.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

I switched from my old G10 driver to my current G30 because I saw a distance increase of 10-15 yards, but it's the only driver I saw such a difference for. I bought the G10 on clearance when the G15 came out for $100, put a UST Proforce shaft into it, and the G30 was the first thing I ever saw that gave me a significant enough difference to warrant a purchase.Β 

Most of the individual release cycles are meaningless, but every 5-10 years or so it's definitely worth looking into an upgrade I would say. That said, spending time on the range honing technique is also important.Β 

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

I wouldn't really know because I use 3+ year old technology, but am saving up for a TM M2 driver. The Ping G driver is also really nice. Both get more distance than my current Ping i25 with similar shafts.

Here are the improvements I've seen in technology.

1. Better fitting process (GC2 and Trackman have really taken off)
2. CG lowering, which helped out in getting people into a new more optimize launch conditions
3. Continually higher MOI
4. Pushing the COR limits to a wider area on the face of the driver.Β 

The primary is the fitting process. To be able to get your driver in that high launch, low spin area has really given a lot of people extra distance. Couple that with larger sweet spots has just overall made the average distance longer.Β 

Β 

• Upvote 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I don't know because I make too many off center hits. I need to be more consistent. I can still hit my Razr Fit quite a distance when I make contact in the sweet spot at the range. On the course? I don't know yet because I'm waiting for a few more weeks before I start playing. It's still too wet and the greens are really in bad shape. My 2014 Big Bertha will get me through this year for sure. It has to. But I tried the new drivers in the cage last season and I did notice a gain in distance with the Cobra Fly Z of about 8 yds carry which is quite a bit but not worth $300 at my level.

This said Lexi Thompson has finally ditched her Amp Cell Pro for a Cobra King LTD Pro - that's a three year cycle. She was hitting one at the PGA show, and I saw her hitting the black driver yesterday in Thailand. So far has picked up 20 yds average from last year over about 100 drives. So is the tech that much better from 2013? Possibly.Β Maybe new irons? I don't know. She was still playing her 2009 S2 Forged last year.

I may be looking for a new driver next year if I show some more improvement this year. That F6+ looks interesting.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The Razr Hawk was a good driver but I think you'll find more forgiveness and maybe a bit of added distance with newer drivers. Β I'd suggest you take your current driver to a golf store and hit it side by side against the newer drivers that fit your eye. Β 

Joe Paradiso

3 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

That IS new technology in Canada, isn't it?!:-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

That's a great club. Used mine for about 10 years, then got bored one winter and ordered the Β Classic XL for a great price,Β and it won the battle. Gave the Laucher to a friend who still uses it, so I still have visitation privileges.

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

That IS new technology in Canada, isn't it?!:-P

Disco is just becoming popular up there too!

I think adjustability is one of the best improvements to drivers.Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I am completely driven by GAS and shiny objects.Β 

If its new, it must be good

Been using an adams super s speed line for 4 years. It is not looking shinyΒ and the face is getting pretty rough

I am sure thats enough to justify a purchase

Β 

17 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I thought I was old school for using my 2009 burner!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey Β Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I had a Callaway XR and a TaylorMade R15 last year and sold both. Ive tried all this years new ones and for me they are no better than last year. Ping G25 was better than all these by the way.

I was looking around the net last year for peoples suggestions of longest and most accurate drivers EVER and quite a few came back to the same driver, Callaway FTiz.

I purchased a FTiz Imix Tour in 9.5 degrees last year with three shafts, all three were 43" and there was a reg, stiff and x stiff. Im generally classed as Reg flex but the stiff flex was just spot on. I sold the other two flexes on as didnt get on with.

I absolutely loved the driver, hence why I sold the XRΒ and R15, and I am still using the driver to this day, although it blew up last week and bottom cracked so am currently awaiting a shipment from USA of a replacement head as wanted exact same one.

I found it really high launching with low spin, so was absolutely perfect for distance. Just looking back at last time I used on GC2 my average launch was 18.2 degrees with avg spin of 1747. 1.45 smash factor with a 101.2 swing speed and 146.8 ball speed. I changed the grip to a Lamkin jumbo oversize and it just lets me rip it, giving me better swing speed than had with longer shaft drivers. It is a very straight driver for me and im carrying 265 with 291 avg total.

If peak height etc means anything to you then peak was 39 and descent 40.

I absolutely love it, but as the version I have is hard to obtain so it still cost be Β£90 for a replacement 2nd hand head. Hopefully it lasts.

Id urge anyone to try one of these if they can get one cheap.

Forget these new drivers, no better for me personally. All too long as I lose distance from lack of control.

The Cobra King F6+, Ping G LS Tec are probably the two longest of new ones, closely followed by XR 16 and M1. For a cheaper price though, the Cobra FLY Z will surprise you for distance. Its long, and not the newest model.

If you want low spin and dont struggle with launch, thenΒ Cobra King LTD Pro is pretty low spinning from tests.

Edited by ShotShySheriff

Note:Β This thread is 2967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!