IGNORED

1 wedge to rule them all

jshots
Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wanted to hear some thoughts on using 1 wedge for the majority of shots around the green. I find myself reaching for my 60 deg wedge for everything from a flop shot to a bump and run played a good distance behind my back foot. I find it so much more simple to develop muscle memory with one club than to try to learn distances and roll outs for 3 or 4 different wedges. 

I know a lot of people here used to preach the 12 shot program (lol), where you learn 3 shots with 4 different wedges to give you a repertoire of 12 shots for any situation. I think that is way more than necessary!

Edited by jshots

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No way I use 8-54 and sometimes a hybrid. I keep it simple if I can chip and run it's the same technique and length of swing the variable is the longer the ball has to travel the less loft I use. I read it like a putt. If I have to get the ball in the air it depends on lie conditions and how far it has to travel but typically I still try to get it on the ground rolling towards the hole. If I bump a lofted wedge by de-lofting and picking it clean the spin is tough to predict. Usually checks and stops short.

Dave :-)

At least 90% of my chipping and pitching is done with my 51° wedge (I'm probably one of the few players who carries 2 gap wedges, this one and the AW wedge that matches my Aero Burner irons).  I kept it from the AP-2 set that I retired last year because I like it so much for that.  I even use it for longish greeenside bunker shots.  

I only carry one other wedge, my 56° Cleveland CG 15 SW (I don't count the AW and PW from my set, as they are mostly used for full shots, although I will chip with clubs all the way down to 7I on rare occasions).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use a variety of clubs around the green.  If using one club works for you, great.  I find trying to deloft a high lofted club to create a low running shot to be too much manipulation.

Brian Kuehn

4 hours ago, jshots said:

I wanted to hear some thoughts on using 1 wedge for the majority of shots around the green. I find myself reaching for my 60 deg wedge for everything from a flop shot to a bump and run played a good distance behind my back foot.

I think it's good to keep it simple and use one or two wedges for the majority of your shots around the green. Having said that I wouldn't play bump and run shots with a 60°. You have to lean the handle too far forward and it brings the leading edge too much into play (no room for error). Most shots around the green don't require a bump and run technique IMO, using a sand wedge or strong lob should work.

Here's how I like to play the bump and run shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I would say a good amount of my shots around the green are hit with my 56 degree. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would say a good amount of my shots around the green are hit with my 56 degree. 

Same here. The vast majority of my greenside shots are with the 56*. If I really need to stop it quick, I'll use the 60*, but I'd say that's less than 20% of the time. 

If I want to run it out, it can be anything from a PW to a 7 iron, but my preference is usually to loft it up with a wedge and plan on it stopping within a few feet of where it lands. 

So, in summary, wedge, unless I have a ton of green to work with. 

If I had to put numbers on it, I'd say 65% of the time it's a wedge, and 35% some kind of bump and run chip. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

4 hours ago, jshots said:

I wanted to hear some thoughts on using 1 wedge for the majority of shots around the green. I find myself reaching for my 60 deg wedge for everything from a flop shot to a bump and run played a good distance behind my back foot. 

A 60 degree wedge would be the least likely club I would select for a bump and run shot. I normally choose a 7 iron for many bump and run shots, and have holed quite a few bump and runs using a 7. But hey, whatever works best for you

For most shots around the green, I use my 56 sand wedge (10 degrees of bounce).  For longer shots or bump and runs, especially uphill, I will use my gap wedge, matched with my iron set, and of course for times when I am short-sided, or have to play downhill to a fairly close hole, I will go to my 60 wedge. I will also use the 60 in shorter sand shots or in fluffier sand (12 degrees of bounce on the 60).

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I use my 60 for the majority of my greenside shots.  Unless I am looking for a bit more run-out.  Then i use my 50.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

While using only one club around the green would be a waste because you have 13 other clubs to help you. I usually use a 60 degree, but only when I'm within 30 feet or need to hit it high and soft. I will use my 52 degree on longer shots with more green to use and my 56 for bunkers and shots I need more spin on.

Austin Sachs - Mid-level Amateur in the Eastern United States

WITB: Titleist 915 D3, Cleveland 588 3 Wood, Nike Covert Tour Hybrid, Mizuno MP-4 4-PW, Mizuno MP-T4 52, 56, 60 degree, Taylormade White Smoke Putter

The iron set I used last year came with a pitching wedge and gap wedge, I also carried a 56* sand wedge.  I used the sand wedge for everything 110 yards and less.  

Joe Paradiso

I'd say I use my 58 and 54 for 75% of my shots around the green. I will use a hybrid if im up against the fringe or a 7-9 iron if I want to hit a little bump and run. Those are pretty rare though. I prefer to pitch now that I'm comfortable with that shot.

8 hours ago, jshots said:

I wanted to hear some thoughts on using 1 wedge for the majority of shots around the green. I find myself reaching for my 60 deg wedge for everything from a flop shot to a bump and run played a good distance behind my back foot. I find it so much more simple to develop muscle memory with one club than to try to learn distances and roll outs for 3 or 4 different wedges. 

I know a lot of people here used to preach the 12 shot program (lol), where you learn 3 shots with 4 different wedges to give you a repertoire of 12 shots for any situation. I think that is way more than necessary!

You say you don't want to learn distances and roll outs from 3 or 4 different wedges, but isn't it about the same thing to learn distances and roll outs from flop shots and bump and runs with the same club?

I use a 9 iron as my basic chipping iron, but I always grab a LW when a 9 iron chip won't make the putting surface.

I used to use a 56* years ago for my basic chip shot, but the spin was too unpredictable.

Edited by vangator

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

33 minutes ago, vangator said:

You say you don't want to learn distances and roll outs from 3 or 4 different wedges, but isn't it about the same thing to learn distances and roll outs from flop shots and bump and runs with the same club?

I use a 9 iron as my basic chipping iron, but I always grab a LW when a 9 iron chip won't make the putting surface.

I used to use a 56* years ago for my basic chip shot, but the spin was too unpredictable.

You may be right about that, but every time I pull out a club other than the 60 im using a club that I don't know as well and therefore am less confident in hitting the right shot. Why not always use the club you're most confident in and focus all of your practice to make that club your goto.

I would rather have a thousand reps with one club than 250 reps with four clubs. 

:whistle:

12 hours ago, jshots said:

I would rather have a thousand reps with one club than 250 reps with four clubs. 

That's how I see it. Unless I'm extremely short sided or if the green is tilted a lot towards me my 56 works for almost all situations. 

I find it easier to gauge a shot that I control the distance the ball is in the air and know that it will roll out a little bit than try to gauge the green speed, which iron to choose, how far it will roll out, if it's up hill or downhill. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That's how I see it. Unless I'm extremely short sided or if the green is tilted a lot towards me my 56 works for almost all situations. 

I find it easier to gauge a shot that I control the distance the ball is in the air and know that it will roll out a little bit than try to gauge the green speed, which iron to choose, how far it will roll out, if it's up hill or downhill. 

And that's how I am with my 51°.  I can pick the spot I want the ball to land on and feel pretty confident that I can execute the shot to put the ball there.  I'm not saying that I always pick the right spot, but I am pretty good at hitting whatever I do pick.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I used one club ala Stan Utley with a 58 for several years. I then went to a 55-60 setup, and now mostly use a 55 from 60 yards and in. I try to keep the launch at around 30 deg for pitching. For short chips that need to stop, flops, and short bunker shots, I use the 60. The setup with both clubs is similar for most shots.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!