IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's raining at AGNC.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still chapped and red-assed at @iacas for having started this thread early. I wanted it. :beer:

Anyways......

My wife is trying to kill me, scheduling crap for Masters weekend. "Volunteered" me to help a friend of hers move Saturday, invited trolls over for dinner Friday evening....WTF woman??

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

On 3/27/2016 at 0:08 PM, Club Rat said:

Ben Crenshaw, a two-time Masters winner, told Ferguson on Monday night that Spieth had chosen Salt Lick Barbecue, a "great choice from right here in Austin, Texas," he said.

But Spieth denied those reports, saying Augusta National picks the brand.

''I didn't select Salt Lick. I don't know where that was spread from,'' Spieth said Tuesday. ''Augusta National always makes the meals. So they asked,' What do you want to have for your meal?' and I said I'd love to do some Texas barbecue. So they kind of go out and search for a way to make it based on popular places. I'm not sure what it's exactly going to be. It's going to be Texas barbecue. I'm pretty excited for it.''

Some folks are probably saying why didn't you pick our 'Dallas Style' or our 'San Antonio' style so he's sticking with 'Texas BBQ'. You can't make everyone happy.

Based on recent form Day, McIlroy, Scott, Watson, & Oosthuizen look strongest.

Spieth's game seems a hair off - mostly in his expectations of personal perfection, though I saw an interesting quote from Nicklaus on this: "As long as I can get irritated with myself, I'll be a reasonable competitor." Maybe he's right to be annoyed so he can work through or around the issue for more success down the road, but it does seem to eat up mental energy for focus.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I missed the match play and I didn't get to watch much of Doral, but this is circled on my calendar and has been since I knew the date.  I can't wait.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 hours ago, natureboy said:

Spieth's game seems a hair off - mostly in his expectations of personal perfection, though I saw an interesting quote from Nicklaus on this: "As long as I can get irritated with myself, I'll be a reasonable competitor." Maybe he's right to be annoyed so he can work through or around the issue for more success down the road, but it does seem to eat up mental energy for focus.

His hair game is off too. ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Lego Masters Leaderboard

This piece has a great slideshow of the concession stand offerings. Kudos them for offering baby carrots. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, jamo said:

His hair game is off too. ;-)

Was it ever strong since college?

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

That's smart. Easier to back out with no real blowback from media when you're number 3. Liked this quote:

To put the Par-3 in a different light: if any of the other major championships unveiled a similar pre-first round event, replete with kids running around the greens and celebrity pals chunking shots while dressed in a caddie suit, there would be calls to strip them of major championship status.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Here's a cool slideshow from Golf Digest via Facebook: http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/augusta-national-golf-club-course-tour-photos

One thing I like about it is how "normal" the course and grass looks in a lot of those pictures.  Obviously, Google wasn't snapping these overheads during April. :P

Edited by iacas
fixed link for you Drew
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

If this is off topic, say so, but I would love, just one time, to see what would happen if the USGA set up Augusta for the Masters in U.S. Open style.

I think we basically saw that at the 2007 Masters

On March 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM, BrainFreeZe said:

Just found out I won heavily discounted tickets through my job to go to the Masters of Friday. Any tips for someone going for their first time?

Get there before the gates open so you can be one of the first in. Take a chair with you and know ahead of time where you want to put that chair for viewing for later in the day. 

After that, walk the course. It's pretty fantastic walking the second 9 early in the morning before anyone is out there. 

Wait in line to have your picture taken in founders circle.  They will tell you where you can download the picture once you get home.

Enjoy the cheap food and drink options. 

Make sure to spend some time in the merch building stocking up on masters gear. 

Most of all, enjoy your time there. Get there as early as possible and stay until they make you leave. It's an incredible experience. I'll be down there Saturday and Sunday for my second time. Can't wait. 

Tim Herron tweets his Masters outfits. Sharp. Very Sharp. :-P

Seriously though, I wonder if clothing manufacturers select more traditional designs for The Masters, kind of like in tennis with Wimbledon?

• Upvote 1

Steve

Wimbledon dictates the dress code, all white. As far as I know, Masters doesn't and besides that it seems the players usually wear their normal stuff.

Back on the tournament, I don't see how Day can't be the clear betting favorite. He's hot right now, and we saw how that went last year for a couple of months. If he stays healthy, and keeps putting like he has the last 2 weeks, he will be hard to beat. 

On 3/29/2016 at 8:34 PM, natureboy said:

Based on recent form Day, McIlroy, Scott, Watson, & Oosthuizen look strongest.

I'd add Stenson as one to watch too. He's been pulling driver a lot more than usual at SHO with good success.

On 3/29/2016 at 8:34 PM, natureboy said:

Spieth's game seems a hair off

Seems closer this week.

Kevin

Weather could throw a major wrench in the Masters this week. Heavy winds and cool temps expected to be present during the first two rounds if the weather forecast holds up. I wouldn't expect to see many records being broken this year. Scoring might look a little more like 2007....maybe not to that extent, but closer to it especially after day 2.

Could hurt some of the guys who are not good wind players, such as Rory and Bubba. Could help a guy like Rickie or a Danny Willett who do play good in high winds.

Edited by ChrisP

I figured it would be Adam Scott or Bubba winning this thing.  I think Scott has a better chance of putting well with his new stroke so I went with him at -15 for the contest.

Spieth I'm afraid may have "lost" it.  He will still be good, but not the magician we have seen.  After so much success at such a young age, just the slight bit of nerves coming from having your confidence shaken is all it takes to bring you back to earth -- forever.   It happens to them all eventually.

I don't get all of this "big three" talk coming from the TV broadcasts (Day, Spieth, McIlroy).  Bubba, for one, has had more recent success than McIlroy, to say nothing of Fowler and Scott.

Note: This thread is 2944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!