Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1,664 posts / 61705 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Just now, Gunther said:

Spieth was playing for par on those holes the past 2 days.  Sure, he hit driver but he was playing to make par.  

So he should not have hit driver and tried for birdie? How does that make sense? 

The guy hit it 30 yards right of the fairway. He was what golfers would call, out of position. He had to lay up on 17. He had to lay up on 18. He had to go for par, it was the best possible score he could possible get for the shitty drives he hit. 

Again, tell me how he let off the brakes? You are making an assumption based on nothing at all. You refuse to accept that his swing went to shit on those last two holes for the driver. It happens. 

On Friday on 17 he hit the ball too long. He missed it where he shouldn't have. This tells me he was trying to get it close instead of laying back to the middle of the green. 

You got nothing proving he was easing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Should be a great final round tomorrow. Everyone knows the Masters doesn't truly start until the back nine of Augusta on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

So he should not have hit driver and tried for birdie? How does that make sense? 

The guy hit it 30 yards right of the fairway. He was what golfers would call, out of position. He had to lay up on 17. He had to lay up on 18. He had to go for par, it was the best possible score he could possible get for the shitty drives he hit. 

Again, tell me how he let off the brakes? You are making an assumption based on nothing at all. You refuse to accept that his swing went to shit on those last two holes for the driver. It happens. 

On Friday on 17 he hit the ball too long. He missed it where he shouldn't have. This tells me he was trying to get it close instead of laying back to the middle of the green. 

You got nothing proving he was easing up.

Well, the fact that he said it in his post-round interview I guess "proves" it.  He should have used 3-wood, he wanted to come in par, par, par.  What more would you like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's very easy to sit on the couch drinking a beer, watching television and criticizing..

a 22 year old that is currently leading the masters, has led the masters for 7 consecutive rounds.. (He was also leading 2014) and is the defending champion. It's golf, mistakes will be made but this kid is really special and is becoming an enigma. People either like him and admire his skill or hate on him and are tired of him winning so much want to see him fail. Just enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Well, the fact that he said it in his post-round interview I guess "proves" it.  He should have used 3-wood, he wanted to come in par, par, par.  What more would you like?

So 3-wood gives him birdie, birdie, birdie? I am not buying it. 

Here is his quote from the conference, "I struck my irons fantastic, and the one on 16 I let go wayward, and that same shot came with my driver on the last two, and I am not sure what it was." 

So, I guess his swing just got away with him, not that he let up on gas. With the conditions out there a lot of pars or birdies. So, straight from Spieth's mouth, it was a swing from his iron shot on 16 got into his last two drives. It had nothing to do with him easing up on the course. He actually stated he didn't like how he finished because they are the easy holes. As such his expectations are to finish under par to some degree. So, again your theory that he let up is false. His expectations on those holes is better than par. 

Yes I watched the interview. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

So 3-wood gives him birdie, birdie, birdie? I am not buying it. 

Here is his quote from the conference, "I struck my irons fantastic, and the one on 16 I let go wayward, and that same shot came with my driver on the last two, and I am not sure what it was." 

So, I guess his swing just got away with him, not that he let up on gas. With the conditions out there a lot of pars or birdies. So, straight from Spieth's mouth, it was a swing from his iron shot on 16 got into his last two drives. It had nothing to do with him easing up on the course. He actually stated he didn't like how he finished because they are the easy holes. As such his expectations are to finish under par to some degree. So, again your theory that he let up is false. His expectations on those holes is better than par. 

Yes I watched the interview. 

 

 

I heard him with Rinaldi, he said exactly what I mentioned:  I was playing for par, I wanted to be at 6 under to end the day, I should have hit 3-wood.

 You're just trying to be contrarian now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I heard him with Rinaldi, he said exactly what I mentioned:  I was playing for par, I wanted to be at 6 under to end the day, I should have hit 3-wood.

 You're just trying to be contrarian now.

How am I being contrarian when I am quoting Spieth directly? I am not twisting his words. I am quoting them directly. 

Here is his quote from the conference, "I struck my irons fantastic, and the one on 16 I let go wayward, and that same shot came with my driver on the last two, and I am not sure what it was.

Spieth has said in the past his miss is hitting a shot right. Looks like something came up that caused that miss. It was two miss-struck golf balls, not easing up. He's not the type of guy to devalue the last three holes in a round to the point he hits two drives 30 yards right of the fairway.

Spieth's own words are his expectations are to play the final 3 holes in under par. He is quoted in saying they are not hard golf holes. He's quoted in saying that par is a good score when the course is in those conditions. 

So putting that all together is that par on the past two days is like birdies. Spieth has an expectation to play the final three holes in under par. He's also quoted in saying par is a good score due to the conditions. He's quoted in saying that his swing went to shit on 3 shots from 16 onwards. There is nothing there saying he eased up. 

All evidence point to that his swing had a hiccup and it put him out of position. Sorry to say, trying to get par doesn't cause a 30 yard block slice right. Also, hitting a 3-wood doesn't guarantee he doesn't hit it right into the trees as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Picked Day in my one and done pool

so pulling for him. I have nothing personal

against Spieth and don't even mind if he wins I just want a little more drama to end the tourney. Going into today I thought it would have been cool to see Rory get the Grand Slam too but his putting killed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Masters: Bernhard Langer  is 58 years old! He played with Jason Day today who out hit Bernhard all day and drove past Langer's drives up to 70 yards.  On the second hole, a par 5, Bernhard had to hit a a three wood to the green while Day only had a 7-iron into the green? Even Jordan Speith said Langer is incredible. "Doesn’t he win most every tournament on the Champions Tour? He’s a force to be reckoned with....You can’t think of his age — he’s just another competitor tomorrow who is fully capable of winning this tournament.”

 
Langer was quoted as saying he thinks he can win and if so, Bernhard's 16 year old son, Jason Langer, who wasn't even born when his dad won the Masters twice in 1985 and 1993. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day to say the least. 
 
Bernhard's experience and his slow and deliberate play, plus the fact that he'll be playing in the twosome right in front of  Speith, should be something to watch! The slow and deliberate play of Bernhard Lang  may keep Speith out of rhythm and out of the amazing zone he's in right now. There were some cracks in Speith's armor bogeying 17 and then double bogeying the  18th. I think (for what it's worth) Jordan Speith needs a joke or two to stay relaxed tomorrow and to enjoy his round. There's a great new bestseller on Amazon now called "Absolutely Hilarious Adult Golf Joke Book" and it is funny and wish I could send it to him so he could give it read before he plays and to tell a few jokes if he has to wait in the fairway for Bernhard to get off the green and to laugh and disregard any of Bernhard's putts that may drop in right in front of him.
 
Just my opinion -  I wish the best to both of you and all the rest of the contenders. Remember to keep laughing (even though there's millions of $$$$ involved here, and have a great time and enjoy yourself out there and laughter will help you relieve stress and relax. As comedian Bill Murray has said: “The more relaxed you are, the better you are at everything: the better you are with your loved ones, the better you are with your enemies, the better you are at your job, the better you are with yourself.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH sigh......I'm going to miss tomorrow's broadcasts. I'll be on a plane headed to Puerto Vallarta......to play golf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't give the jacket to Jordan yet guys. 

We've got a tournament on our hands...

I think anyone +3 or better can still win this Masters... if the conditions are typical for tomorrow (East wind light), You could see a 65 from back in the pack, If someone like Day or Lee Westwood hangs up 282, Spieth may not ever get to -6.

The early forecast is lighter winds out of the East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Day or DJ may upset Spieth's applecart but Jordan still has to be favourite. If the wind drops and they water the greens(hope not) there may be 3 or four rounds in the mid sixties.

My heart is 100% with Bernhard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

I think Day or DJ may upset Spieth's applecart but Jordan still has to be favourite. If the wind drops and they water the greens(hope not) there may be 3 or four rounds in the mid sixties.

My heart is 100% with Bernhard.

Spieth is lucky he is still ahead. He made alot of long par saves yesterday. Throwing away 3 shots on the last 2 holes is something he couldn't afford to do IMO. He better bring it today with no wind, I think Day will go low. 

Langer with that stupid putter still irks me and makes me suspicious. They need to watch him closely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spieth was put on the clock on Friday and got pretty irritated about it.   I was waiting for him to be put on the clock Saturday, he was playing very slowly, taking all sorts of time on lots of shots, lots of discussion with his caddy Greller, and stepping away from putts repeatedly.   Late in the round there was an entire hole open in front of him.  I remember he was hitting his second shot on 15 and the group in front was on 17.  

How did he get to be such a slow player?   I don't remember him being that slow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...