IGNORED

Jordan Spieth's Slow Play

tdiii
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, tdiii said:

. . . with all the s l o o o o w w w play, he's dead to me. 

Good for you :doh:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Considering I'm not thrilled with The Masters and how they're on the highest of high horses, despite the fact that I don't care for tour players playing really slow (because it makes the four-rounds-a-year hacker group think that's a normal pace...) I support Spieth's slow play and he can take as looooong as he wants in my opinion - considering The Masters won't let me watch most of their tournament. Such phooey. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

4:30 for two Pros to play 18 is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Is Spieth usually that slow?  I don't pay close enough attention but I don't recall him frequently being clocked or anything . .except that European Tour thing . .

Given the conditions up until late this afternoon, I'm not surprised there is some slow play out there.  The greens are nuts - one little mistake and you're screwed.  I saw a highlight, forget who, where the ball was sitting on the green motionless and it just started rolling . .and rolled right off the green! 

I'd love to go hit some putts on those greens . .I bet it would be hilarious.  Anyway - I hate slow play with a passion but I'm withholding judgement for The Masters so far. 

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Everyone was playing in difficult conditions today.  He and Rory were more than a full hole behind the group in front.  Spieth was chipping onto 17 and the group in front was walking off 18.  And Rory was not playing slow. 

He was put on the clock yesterday, as well. 

Edited by tdiii
  • Upvote 1

He's only been around a couple of years, and he's already dead to you? You seem like a fickle sort.

39 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Is Spieth usually that slow?  I don't pay close enough attention but I don't recall him frequently being clocked or anything . .except that European Tour thing . .

Given the conditions up until late this afternoon, I'm not surprised there is some slow play out there.  The greens are nuts - one little mistake and you're screwed.  I saw a highlight, forget who, where the ball was sitting on the green motionless and it just started rolling . .and rolled right off the green! 

I'd love to go hit some putts on those greens . .I bet it would be hilarious.  Anyway - I hate slow play with a passion but I'm withholding judgement for The Masters so far. 

You have a point, Rainmaker. I think the Masters has let the greens get a just a little out of hand this year. They know the weather forecast just as well as anyone else. Put a little water on the greens in the evening, or early morning, to keep them in bounds! I remember an article I read, years ago, that criticized the Masters committee for letting the greens get too freaky. What the Masters lost, as he put it, were the earth shaking cheers on the back nine from golfers making a charge! Isn't it the stuff of legend that the Masters doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday?

Did anyone other than me notice how many people laid up on 13 and 15? Or who went for the green and got nothing for it? Going for the green on these holes used to be routine. This year, especially with the wind, you could be severely punished.

No more evidence needs be presented than a ball "blowing" off the green! Are you kidding me? I used to hear some criticisms of courses on "The Open Championship" rota, whose greens weren't rolling at 99 on the Stimp! It was explained, by a Brit, that they would slow their greens down because of the wind they could encounter there. They didn't want ball being blown off the greens, and took measures to avoid it.

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

It was Billy Horschel.  Can you imagine? One moment you are reading your 20 ft birdie putt, and the next moment you are back on the other side of the pond pitching for par.

Crazy.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

4:30 for two Pros to play 18 is ridiculous. 

Is that all it took?   That's not too bad given the playing condition, that he is in contention, and this being a major tourney.   If it took 5:30, yeah, let's fry Jordan for it.

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Honestly realize this: 

These aren't amateurs spending their Saturday on a public course, they're competing for a purse of 10mil. So yeah, every shot matters, and it might take a couple minutes to strategize on a course of these conditions.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Honestly realize this: 

These aren't amateurs spending their Saturday on a public course, they're competing for a purse of 10mil. So yeah, every shot matters, and it might take a couple minutes to strategize on a course of these conditions.

I hear that but if every player took as much time as Spieth does, then the final groups probably wouldn't finish the round before darkness.

• Upvote 2

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

6 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Is that all it took?   That's not too bad given the playing condition, that he is in contention, and this being a major tourney.   If it took 5:30, yeah, let's fry Jordan for it.

I don't want to fry Jordan. I am just stating that if any two members on this site played 18 in 4:30, they would be called very slow. Each pair at the Masters took about this long. That is twice as slow as it should be. How can we combat slow play if the best players in the world are slower than us? A foursome is expected to play 18 in 4:30 or less at most courses.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I don't want to fry Jordan. I am just stating that if any two members on this site played 18 in 4:30, they would be called very slow. Each pair at the Masters took about this long. That is twice as slow as it should be. How can we combat slow play if the best players in the world are slower than us? A foursome is expected to play 18 in 4:30 or less at most courses.

Twice as slow??? Hey I'm all for speeding up the pace but...

If you stacked up the players from this site in twosomes, playing the members tees, on that setup, in that wind, holing out, the round wouldn't have been completed much less played in under 4;30

Edited by RH31
  • Upvote 2

In that wind, with those greens, all uneven lies, and trying to avoid a big number -- it's going to take more time than 2 guys on a muni playing for beers....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I agree. I've played a bunch of events with amateurs like most of us, and just having to putt out on greens (even those rolling at ~9) can add 15 minutes or more to a round. You don't want to have that third or fourth putt of shame in front of three other guys. What about thousands and millions on TV?

While Tour pros are different animals, so is ANGC. 

Just to be clear though, Spieth and McIlroy's should have been keeping pace with the group ahead. They seemed to be at least a half-hole out of place on most of the back nine (though television also makes that hard to tell, for sure).

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!