IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau is now a professional...

krupa
Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd be interested to hear an instructor's thoughts, but my immediate reaction is that it's utter rubbish. There is no way, under pressure, that he'll be thinking 8:45 and hitting that without adrenaline. I guess it's good to be as accurate as possible, but like with the other stuff (naming his irons, that chart etc), I think a lot of it's for show. Not impressed.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Who said something about Bryson wearing a tartan cap this weekend?

1460855271747.jpg

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Currently T5 with three holes to play. A nice paycheck and a free ticket into the field next week is a pretty good debut.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Is Chambeau successful because of his one length iron setup? Or in spite of it? Would he be as good a player with regular length irons? I contend that it's more talent that's responsible for where he is than his using physics and math to give himself an edge.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, nevets88 said:

Is Chambeau successful because of his one length iron setup? Or in spite of it? Would he be as good a player with regular length irons? I content that it's more talent that's responsible for where he is than his using physics and math to give himself an edge.

Agreed - he's clearly a very talented guy (although this "isn't he intelligent?" thing is getting a bit tired). Pretty sure there's some other bright guys out there on tour. I'm also fed up of hearing about his irons and it's only been a week...

Fair play though, he's playing well and seems a nice enough guy. I just hate how much the media choose to overhype certain players.

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

16 hours ago, b101 said:

I'd be interested to hear an instructor's thoughts, but my immediate reaction is that it's utter rubbish. There is no way, under pressure, that he'll be thinking 8:45 and hitting that without adrenaline. I guess it's good to be as accurate as possible, but like with the other stuff (naming his irons, that chart etc), I think a lot of it's for show. Not impressed.

I think we have already heard from instructors on that one, namely @iacas and David Wedzik.  Knowing ones partial distances is right out of Lowest Score Wins.  Granted, DeChambeau is taking the idea to a highly detailed level.

2 hours ago, b101 said:

Agreed - he's clearly a very talented guy (although this "isn't he intelligent?" thing is getting a bit tired). Pretty sure there's some other bright guys out there on tour. I'm also fed up of hearing about his irons and it's only been a week...

Fair play though, he's playing well and seems a nice enough guy. I just hate how much the media choose to overhype certain players.

It hasn't really just been a week, the topic first made news when he was winning the NCAAs, then the Am, and really for going for the Masters.  Unfortunately, considering how much time they spent last year telling us that Jordan Spieth was only 21 years old, I don't think the irons topic is going anywhere for awhile.

And to your second point, my first thought was that the media doesn't really choose who to hype arbitrarily, they choose the ones they think we're already interested in, or the ones they think are the most interesting.  But you are right, there is definitely some "tail wagging the dog" stuff going on there.

• Upvote 1

Bryson is worth the hype.  He's not arrogant, he's just bright and people perceive it as arrogance.  He's another of the young uns I'm watching.  This is the future of golf, get on the train boys.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

On April 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM, DeadMan said:

His sand game looks awkward with that long club. I wonder if he'll get a shorter sand wedge eventually. He had an easy bunker shot for normal players but had to stand outside the bunker because of the long club just now. Shorter club would have let him stand in the bunker for sure.

Did he grip down? One can save themselves an inch or two, especially if they build up the lower hand. And his grips are already very thick.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

6 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Did he grip down? One can save themselves an inch or two, especially if they build up the lower hand. And his grips are already very thick.

Doesn't matter.  The length of the club didn't hurt him there considering how close he already stands to the ball.  It was an awkward lie on the edge of a bunker, plain and simple.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Doesn't matter.  The length of the club didn't hurt him there considering how close he already stands to the ball.  It was an awkward lie on the edge of a bunker, plain and simple.

Got'cha.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

He's not in the USO field because he turned pro right? Is he going to try and qualify for the USO?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

He's not in the USO field because he turned pro right? Is he going to try and qualify for the USO?

Does the US Open have the same "qualify as am, stay an am, or else" rule that the Masters has?  I feel like maybe it doesn't.

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

And to your second point, my first thought was that the media doesn't really choose who to hype arbitrarily, they choose the ones they think we're already interested in, or the ones they think are the most interesting.  But you are right, there is definitely some "tail wagging the dog" stuff going on there.

The media hypes whoever they think will get the most looks and sell the most advertising.  A guy with a somewhat new approach to golf club configuration that calls himself a "mad scientist", wears old style hats and names his clubs makes for a lot of human interest stories.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

On 4/13/2016 at 9:31 AM, skydog said:

I'm far from sold on his approach to the game- watching him swing (and especially chip) hurts my soul a bit- but for some reason I kind of like him.

I'm kind of surprised that his bunker game looks as solid as it does with the longer shaft. Does he grip down for bunker shots? He looks like he's standing pretty tall so maybe not.

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Is Chambeau successful because of his one length iron setup? Or in spite of it? Would he be as good a player with regular length irons? I contend that it's more talent that's responsible for where he is than his using physics and math to give himself an edge.

Given how hard it is to compete at a high level on the PGA tour, I'd have to say his different approach is clearly not holding him back much - if at all. He was first in strokes gained tee-to-green at Harbour Town, a course that demands shot precision off the tee and on approach.

Kevin

Pretty great result this week.  There has to be some stat somewhere that says the only golfers who have ever been low am in a major and then top 5'd their first pro start the following week is Bryson and . .oh, let's just get it over with . .he's the NEXT TIGER WOODS!!!!

It will be interesting to see how his year goes.  It sure seems like he should be a winner before the year is out.  I always love to see greatness - even if I kind of find him annoying.  Hoping for greatness.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!