IGNORED

What's the Longest Par 5 You've Played?

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious to hear from everyone what the longest par five they've ever played was.

For me the longest par 5 would have to be the 15th hole at Colorado National Golf Club, which measures 697 yards from the back tees they use for tournaments. It's also the only hole I know of that has three distinct fairways. Luckily it is downhill, but it gets really nasty if it ever plays into the wind.

The design of the hole is straightforward, since the challenge of it is meant to come solely from the length rather than a choice you may have to make. The second fairway on the right, the smallest one, is actually about 15 feet lower than the fairway on the left, meaning you end up with a nasty sidehill lie if you hit it in between the two fairways (the only time "splitting the fairway/s" isn't a good thing!).

Hole 15 Aerial View.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why not play a par 6 ;) ? http://www.penatigolfresort.sk/en/golf/legend-course/jamka-15b/ (note that its length is given in metres)

Note, the hole was actually played on the Challange Tour (2nd tier European Tour)

Personally, I haven't played any real "monster" holes yet. The longest one I can remember is a 610 yards par 5 which has quite the upslope, so it plays probably more like 650 yards

Edited by disaster

650 yard par 5. My approach shot was 120 last time I played it. Probably one of my best Driver/3w combos, and it only put me in a decent position in the right rough, where I missed the green by a yard, and scrambled. It's a doozy just for the length. Lots of room left/right with adjacent fairways, but must play over trees unless you get to <150 or so.

OOB right off of tee to 300 yds, modest uphill fairway in front, slight dog leg right (the turn is ~310 yards from tips). Has a bunch of rolling hills from 300-180, and so if you're short with 3w on 2nd shot it will get trapped, possibly leading to a downhill long iron/hybrid approach. Not my cup of tea...

Usually draw it to left side, then draw it back over trees since it's a slight up slope. Green is unremarkable, but guarded by bunkers on both sides.

It's pretty challenging, and bogey-rific with a bad drive. Not sure I could handle a 697 on my best of days. Yikes lol.

Edited by bm85

I played a hole at The Links GC in Post Falls, ID that was 777 yards. Some websites say it is a Par 6, but the scorecard said "Par 5" when I was there several years ago. The International GC in Bolton, MA has a Par 5 that is 715 yards and two more that are 650+ yards. There is a course in China called The Jade Dragon and it has a 710 yard Par 5, but because of the 10,000 ft altitude it plays much shorter. And I know a course near Red Deer, Alberta, Canada also had a monsterous hole that was around 700 yards and played as a Par 6, but I don't know if it is still there anymore. Anyone else think PAR 6's are kinda hokey?

Edited by dove694

Mine is a 601 yard hole in Coimbatore, India.  Played a two day inter club tournament there and think I got a bogey on both days and was happy to get out with that score.  Head wind made reaching the green a nightmare.  Know of a pro who is considered one of the longer hitters on the Indian Tour who hit Driver, Driver, 4 iron in a tournament to get a GIR

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I played a 644 yard Par 6 at Cherry Creek Golf Links in Riverhead, NY.  It's the 18th hole and the day we played the course, it was about 95* and 90% humidity.  We were all tired and sweaty by the time we got to it so it just seemed sadistic even though it was a par 6.  

Joe Paradiso

Don't think I've ever played a par 5 that was extra long. I don't know that I've even played one that was more that like 570.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

650 yard par 5 at Lederach Golf Club in Harleysville, PA. The first shot is a little downhill but quickly elevates from there. Usually left with a 4 iron or more for the 3rd shot that is blind and into a green that is wide but not very deep. Poorly designed hole IMO.

The longest par 5 for me is in the 620 yard range from the tips. 

I have played a few holes in Australia where your car doubled as your golf cart. The holes stretched between towns. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

There is a mom & pop course in the Detroit area, Brae Burn.  They advertise "The Monster", their par 5 that is 666 yards long.  It is a zig zag doglegged hole so one can cut the distance down by cutting the corners.  I still had to hit 4-iron for my approach.

Brian Kuehn

Since I usually don't play from the tips, I think the longest par 5 I've played was around 530.  But I do remember playing the par 5 13th at Bethpage Black.  From the middle tees, it was 480, but from the tips, it was 608.  I remember just looking back 130yds and trying to actually locate the tee box.  It looked like it was on a different hole. 

Edited by sarena1594
I can't do math in the morning lol 608-480=130
  • Upvote 1

Yardage alone can be deceiving in determining what it takes to reach a green in reg.  I have played a 642 yard par 5 (White Tees) at Apple Mountain in NJ which has a fair amount of down hill and have reached the green in 3.  I also play at my home course a 487 yard (Whites) par 5 that is all up hill and I have been within a short pitch of the green in 3 but never any closer. 

#13 at Bethpage Black was 605 yards when I played it from the back tees. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

The 10th at the Dormie Club in Pinehurst is something like 630 from the Blue (not the tips).  The fairway gets squeezed by a hazard jutting in from the left side, with two shots totalling around 420 yards required to clear it.  If you do clear it, there are two tiny bunkers in the middle of the fairway to avoid, and the fairway narrows the as you get closer to the green.  Its close to level, so no downhill assistance available.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

#13 at Bethpage Black was 605 yards when I played it from the back tees. 

My mistake, I can't do math in the morning lol.  When I played it, it was 608 from the back tees, or about 130yds farther than the white tees....my original post said 180 

I mentioned this hole when we were talking about par-5 courses a week or two ago. Hole 7 at Hampton Golf Village measures 615 yards from the tips. I've played holes that max out at longer distances than this one, but none of them have been longer from the tees I've played than the 602-yard tee I've driven from on several occasions here. Because of the ravine that crosses the fairway, driver is usually too much club from the lesser tees; playing further back offers more room to work with.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Note: This thread is 2903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!