IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

Nope. Β I have moments that I think that I will have a breakthrough then crap my pants the next round.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Nope. Β I have moments that I think that I will have a breakthrough then crap my pants the next round.ο»Ώ

I know the feeling. I was positive that my last round was going to be the best round of my career but I hit everything off the toe of every club that day. The golf gods put me back in my place.

the more i learn about golf the more i know that careful practice, perfect practice leads to better results. my tournament preperation has improved because my practice is way more focused. the wordpress gets into all the detail.

22 hours ago, trainsmokegolf said:

the more i learn about golf the more i know that careful practice, perfect practice leads to better results. my tournament preperation has improved because my practice is way more focused. the wordpress gets into all the detail.

Can you give some of your practice tips? Β  I know for sure that I practice like a tard.............. swinging without knowing why. Β I do have a plan that I am working on but any info would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, MOODY said:

Can you give some of your practice tips? Β  I know for sure that I practice like a tard.............. swinging without knowing why. Β I do have a plan that I am working on but any info would be appreciated.

One practice tip is to use video,Β  high quality video.Β  Β Don't take visual inspection from anything other than expensive video.Β  Β When it comes to what to look for.Β  Practice where you know intuitively something is seriously wrong.Β  Β This is the hard part because it basically boils down to thousands of hours on repetitive drill work,Β  such as lots of half swing,Β  or putting gate drills.Β 

Put in the time,Β  stay more patient than anything elseΒ 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Yes. I am shooting in the mid 80s now consistently when breaking 90 was my goal last summer. Nothing under 82 yet tho.Β 

I went from playing 0-10 times a year to around 30 rounds last year and maybe 60 this year. So its expected but nice to see the hard work pay off. What a game!

In a couple of words, not really! But, at 66 years old, I figure maintenance is the real target!Β 

I may see some improvement in certain aspects of my game now and then, for instance I'm putting like a wizard right now! But to strive for a significant, overall reduction in handicap seems like a fools errand!Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

There hasn't been a post here in a month and a half, but I feel like I'm pretty close to the same. My handicap index ballooned to a 14,4 late last year into early this year. A very wet early year that gave no roll.It's now 13.4, so I guess I've improved by one stroke!Β 

My index has also ballooned. BUT surprisingly my ball-striking is much improved (both rotator cuffs and RA fairly under control). Not surprisingly the strokes from 40-50Β ydsΒ  in to the final putt prevents lower scores b/c I don't focus on that in practice.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I'm pretty close to the same.

So, that's me. I'm heartened by the fact I have shot well under my HC in 3 tournaments this year, just not in regular play. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite,Β A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy ProlaunchΒ Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed)Β Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce;Β PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Since a year ago (October '18), todate, I have been a much more consistent golfer.

The dispersion between 95% of my scores, on various courses has been pretty small. Even while using two different bags of clubs.

I've had a good 11 months of play.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Yes.Β  Certainly.Β  I have learned so much from practice, from mistakes, and especially from all of you on this forum.Β  I have only been tracking my handicap since the Spring, but I bet it has fallen about eight or nine strokes in the past 12 months.

Β 

It feels pretty spectacular to look toward the future with hopeful anticipation.

Well, this past Thursday I broke 80!Β  Been flirting with 80 for a little while recently, and it finally happened. Been a few years since I've done that. I went back to an old "swing thought" from when I first learned the game, and suddenly found myself hitting the ball on the button! Best ballΒ striking round I've enjoyed this year!

• Upvote 2

i'm still stuck around 10-11 index. I hit the Driver a bit shorter this season. Irons have been more consistent. I am working on my shorter putts. I've started to pull too many! I usually read longer putts pretty good and that is usually the reason I score reasonably well.The last few weeks my back has given me trouble so it will be another week or so before I actually play or swing a club!Β 

I am most certainly not a better golfer than a year ago. I was shooting mid-80s this time last year, now I am shooting low to mid 90s. Frustrating to say the least. I am adjusting to some new irons, but that cannot be the entire reason for the drop, or maybe it is. My putting is greatly improved as well, too bad the putts are for double bogey. I have played more golf than ever this summer and yet I'm sliding backwards.Β 

- Mark

Definitely not.Β  On average, I'm shooting about 5 strokes worse this year than last.

All year, I've felt very unsteady over the ball and the driver has become outrageously bad. It's not bad quite as bad with the mid to short irons.Β I actually had some decent runs with those at points this year, but it doesn't matter much when you aren't getting off the tee more than a few times per round.

It wasn't for a lack of work. Even took lessons for the first time ever. I'm kind of at a loss now.