iacas

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

507 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

383 posts / 67522 viewsLast Reply

Yes to both, which is nice!  I took a series of lessons at Golftec about a year and a half ago.  I decided I didn't really like the idea of comparing with "tour average" for everything, since it's really unreachable given what I am able and/or willing to put into it at 58.  On the other hand, he did pretty much eliminate my propensity to slice, after many too many years.  It took a while, but scores eventually started to go down.  My index went from about 28 to 23 in the past year.  I recently took a couple of lessons with another pro (a former winner on the "big" tour and the "old guy's" tour), who did not want to change a lot in my basic swing, which he said was pretty good (on plane, at least).  He did give me some things to work on to help me get more consistent, as the thins, and especially fats are issues.  I have seen some improvement there, obviously at a 23 there is still work to do there.  The next step will be some lessons focusing on the short game.  Bunkers, especially, are a problem for me.  And I'm sure he can help me there.  So I anticipate improvement in the next year a well.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Yes to both. Finally took some lessons after being reluctant for many years and have seen some drastic improvement. There were clubs in my bag for years that I would never pull because I couldn’t control them and I’m finally starting to use them again. A big issue used to be hitting driver but now I pull that stick with confidence and hammer it down the middle fairly consistently. The game has become so much more enjoyable. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the money I’m saving on golf balls since I’m losing a lot less now!

Nope.  I have moments that I think that I will have a breakthrough then crap my pants the next round.

35 minutes ago, MOODY said:

Nope.  I have moments that I think that I will have a breakthrough then crap my pants the next round.

I know the feeling. I was positive that my last round was going to be the best round of my career but I hit everything off the toe of every club that day. The golf gods put me back in my place.

the more i learn about golf the more i know that careful practice, perfect practice leads to better results. my tournament preperation has improved because my practice is way more focused. the wordpress gets into all the detail.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • Thanks, that’s nice to say. I’ve been working on it for a while. Although I’m currently having trouble implementing a new move.  And I always fight the urge to whip the club back way inside and flat and then come over the top. I work everyday on my backswing shoulder turn so my arms can come along for the ride when I turn away. If I manage to get too far the other way, it’s easy for me to correct.
    • I have been listening to the Unspooled podcast which is methodically going through the AFI top 100 list. Recently rewatched back to back, The Post, birdie,  and then All the President's Men, eagle, (for the umpteenth time, I love this movie) because it covered the latter movie. While I respect the opinions of the podcast, it has had its criticisms of movies that I love, like Saving Private Ryan for one, but I learned a lot from the hosts, and that held for ATPM, like I did not know as much about Muskie as I should have. I tossed aside The Post as awards fare, but on rewatching it, I enjoyed it more, especially being able to put ATPM on right afterwards, a great double bill. The latest Unspooled is on Vertigo, eagle. May rewatch that as Vertigo is another of my all time faves. Vertigo, episode #55 of Unspooled on Earwolf Paul & Amy fall into Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 psychological thriller Vertigo!  
    • I would agree with @dennyjones.   Typically if it's just out playing around, I'll often try to do the harder wedge shot through the "V" in the 80 ft tall trees.  I'm in the trees often enough that iv'e had too much practice so it's a higher % shot for me.  If the score is important, I will take the shot that I think give me the best chance at advancing the ball, whatever it might be.  Every round is some kind of learning, some more than others. My course typically doesn't have many people when I'm there, so I will often play 2-3 balls at the same time unless I have someone behind me, then I will let them play through. You can still learn while enjoying and having fun.
    • Hopefully, you learn something from every experience. Of course, some of us learn faster than others. Obviously when playing a round that counts, you play for the lowest score. That's why there really is something to be said for practice rounds, particular when the course isn't busy and you can try different things.  As time goes by, the strategy for each hole on the course changes through learning. The hole where I used to lay up in front of the hazard has become a hole I know I can hit GIR if my drive gets to a certain place on the fairway. Now its just a matter of hitting that darn driver. It's a process.
    • For competitions, etc absolutely.  For fun daily play?  I disagree, it's my game, I can make the purpose of that day whatever I like. I have days where I feel like taking on that cool shot.  So I do - just for fun, knowing that my score will be hurt.  So what?  I want to try the shot and I'll take my medicine when it doesn't go well. Other days, I play for score and try to select my shots as best I can based on my limited knowledge, skill and experience. It's a game - I do what I want.    
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (35 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (47 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (53 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...