IGNORED

do we really need fancy putters

Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have seen a lot of fancy putters with weird heads, weights, alignment help. and was wondering: do we really need this to putt? i'm not saying its bad or useless but when my grandpa was playing they probably used something like this

ori__1570625101_1109166_Antique_hickory_putter,_golf_club._F.H_Ayres.jpg and couldn't anyone putt the same as with thistech-fx-feel.jpg  the alignment help i can see, but are the weights really necessary? 

32 minutes ago, GolfClubbas said:

i have seen a lot of fancy putters with weird heads, weights, alignment help. and was wondering: do we really need this to putt?

For some yes. The shape of the putter, the color, the alignment lines, ect.. all have influence on how you aim the putter. 

https://edelgolf.com/pages/classic-fit

Read through how all the stuff they can customize influence aim. I've seen it in a putter fitting. I've seen a guy aim 2 feet right on a 25 ft putt. The fitters drew a line on the top of the putter and he aimed it straight where he wanted. 

32 minutes ago, GolfClubbas said:

but are the weights really necessary? 

Yes. I use to have a putter that had a head weight of 335-340 grams. My distance control was terrible. I got fitted for a putter that weights 370 grams with a 40 gram counterbalance. The effect on my putting was dramatic. I was much more consistent with my distance control. 

That isn't to say someone can't putt with an older putter, or a less expensive one. I know a guy who putts with a wood shafted bulls-eye putter and is one of the better putters I know. That putter obviously fits him. That is what matters the most. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, GolfClubbas said:

i have seen a lot of fancy putters with weird heads, weights, alignment help. and was wondering: do we really need this to putt? i'm not saying its bad or useless but when my grandpa was playing they probably used something like this

ori__1570625101_1109166_Antique_hickory_putter,_golf_club._F.H_Ayres.jpg and couldn't anyone putt the same as with thistech-fx-feel.jpg  the alignment help i can see, but are the weights really necessary? 

I always wonder why no one has yet made a putter with a laser aiming device.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I always wonder why no one has yet made a putter with a laser aiming device.

They have. As training aids.

Obviously it would be illegal for regular play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was at the golf store a while ago looking to buy some golf. I saw these putters with a sign $50 off! One looked like the model Adam Scott used while winning 2 in a row earlier this year. I tried it on the practice rug and canned everything I looked at dead in the heart! The thing practically swung itself! Then I looked at the price tag. $259.99! Umm, errrr, ahhhhh, I'll stick with what I have.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the price, or the style of the putter makes it any better than any another putter. 

What's important is that the putter fits the putting stroke of the golfer using it. I use a Zone 1 putter that I think I only paid $25.00 for. I purchased it a very long time ago.

I have used quite a few other putters through the years, in all price, and style ranges. I might have a dozen, or more collecting dust. I always return to my cheapie Zone 1 putter. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My $2 garage sale putter drains quite a few 20 - 30 foot putts so I'm quite satisfied by not shelling out hundreds of dollars on gimmicky putters. 

The best I ever putted was with a cheap older top-flite heal-toe weighted putter. Unfortunately it got stolen with the rest of my clubs last year so the closest I could find to match it was the putter I have now. I paid more than I would have liked for it, but I still paid less than $100 and it's been pretty good to me so far.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 hours ago, 9wood said:

My $2 garage sale putter drains quite a few 20 - 30 foot putts so I'm quite satisfied by not shelling out hundreds of dollars on gimmicky putters. 

Thats great you are confident in your putter. But 20-30 footers?

6 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

With all the different things I could spend my very limited golf budget on, putters are about dead last on the list.

You use your putter at least 30 strokes a round. Why wouldn't you spend money on what matters the most. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

People don't need fancy or expensive putters. Some of the tech def helps people and some just like the confidence they get from a certain putter. I was playing an old circa 62 putter and I loved it and I didn't need the new Scotty Cameron putter but I liked the way it looked and it made me feel comfortable with it knowing I had something I very much liked. 

I have a Yes Natalie mallet center shaft putter than I paid $15 for brand spankin new in ~2012. Threw a super stroke grip on it after the cheap grip started breaking down after a few rounds, and never looked back. 

I'm all for putter fitting and everything. I'm aware of how fabulous Edel is. But it's not for me. I don't see why I can't just as easily change my putting stroke to be better, rather than just get a "better putter" that's "better for my current swing." 

My last 5 rounds I've averaged 1.8 putts/hole. Can't beat that as a 15-ish HCI golfer.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I would pay for an Edel because, after reading this forum, I know I would be properly fit. Unfortunately, there is not a fitter close to me. Putting is the weakest part of my game, and that is the only club I have never been fit for. I have to believe that I would benefit more from a custom fit and custom built putter than I would from the newest driver that is supposed to hit it "20yds. past the previous driver.

4 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Thats great you are confident in your putter. But 20-30 footers?

You use your putter at least 30 strokes a round. Why wouldn't you spend money on what matters the most. 

My last round of golf which I played 9 holes, I drained 3 putts from 30+ yards with my cheapo putter. My neighbor could verify that for any doubters out there

BTW - whenever I visit the sporting goods stores, I take a bit of time testing out some of those fancy dancey, over-priced putters, and I can honestly say they don't impress me at all.

Edited by 9wood

Ah the battle between need and want.  We don't need fancy putters but we want them and like them.  Just like we don't need fancy cars, boats, watches, etc.  

On a more serious note, putters are about confidence.  If you gain more confidence using an Edel putter because it was fitted for your putting stroke or by using a Scotty Cameron putter because they are popular on the Tour in the end it is one less thing you have to worry about when you're on the course.  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
11 hours ago, 9wood said:

Not all expensive putters are "gimmicky" and not all cheap putters are just as good as an expensive putter.

3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I would pay for an Edel because, after reading this forum, I know I would be properly fit. Unfortunately, there is not a fitter close to me. Putting is the weakest part of my game, and that is the only club I have never been fit for. I have to believe that I would benefit more from a custom fit and custom built putter than I would from the newest driver that is supposed to hit it "20yds. past the previous driver.

@NCGolfer is down that way and I'm tempted to try to come down this summer and play some golf, and could bring the fitting kit.

21 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

If you gain more confidence using an Edel putter because it was fitted for your putting stroke or by using a Scotty Cameron putter because they are popular on the Tour in the end it is one less thing you have to worry about when you're on the course.  

As you likely know, Edels are fit for aim and distance, and there's more measurable things that they can do for you than boost your confidence.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for offering to bring your fitting kit to NC, but after paying for wood floors, a bathroom remodel, and college tuition, I don't see an expensive putter in my near future. Mabye someday.

12 hours ago, 9wood said:

My last round of golf which I played 9 holes, I drained 3 putts from 30+ yards with my cheapo putter. My neighbor could verify that for any doubters out there

BTW - whenever I visit the sporting goods stores, I take a bit of time testing out some of those fancy dancey, over-priced putters, and I can honestly say they don't impress me at all.

Do you mean feet? Most greens don't have a 90 or 100 foot diameter that I play.

I've never bought a new putter. My current Scotty I got on e-bay for $110 because it has a small dent on the top, which does not bother me. I had it adjusted to match my fitting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!