IGNORED

What do you HATE the most about golf?

stolpioni
Note: This thread is 2876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Hate" is a word I would not use in reference to golf, but most frustrating is when I am on fire during practice sessions and then start a round with 3 triple bogies (like 2 days ago).  Perhaps more as a self-defense mechanism, I lower my expectations and look forward to playing a respectable back nine.  Also, the beauty of some of the gambling games is that you can come back even though you butchered a few holes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing really.  I like it.  It does seen to attract a higher percentage of whiners though.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

There is the typical on course short term love-hate where things are going so bad that you hate the game so much you want to quit... only to hit a great shot and all is well.

Probably the only thing that bothers me about the game are the attitudes of a few of the golfers.  For the vast majority, everyone is out there having fun, but there are a few out there that measure their manhood by WITB and how far they can drive.  I don't have too much patience for those types.  Every sport has them, but it just seems out of character for someone who loves the game.

John

3 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

There is the typical on course short term love-hate where things are going so bad that you hate the game so much you want to quit... only to hit a great shot and all is well.

Probably the only thing that bothers me about the game are the attitudes of a few of the golfers.  For the vast majority, everyone is out there having fun, but there are a few out there that measure their manhood by WITB and how far they can drive.  I don't have too much patience for those types.  Every sport has them, but it just seems out of character for someone who loves the game.

John

I find that to be true in many cases. Then there are those who brag about how far they drive the ball but when you watch them, they don't drive the ball nearly as far as they think they did, or they hit a big slice way to the right or hit a big hook into the woods off to the left. As for me a long drive isn't a measure of manhood, but rather a better chance to get off a good 2nd shot

I am with some of the others in that hate is a strong word. If something frustrated me enough to say I hated it, I would likely just quit. A few things though that make my skin crawl are: guys who pick a ball up to identify it. not being ready when it's your turn and being unrealistic in your abilities. If you just hit your drive 200 there is no need to wait on the green to clear 320 away.

8 hours ago, stolpioni said:

Of course we don't hate golf overall, only on certain days.

When you have a bad day, what do you hate most about golf?

For me it's probably when starting the round off well, thinking "this is going to be a great round", only to hit a few shanks in a row and ruin everything. You get your hopes up, and then your hopes get crushed. So I guess how hard it is to get consistency in my shots. That's really what I hate about golf.

Yeh, played 9 holes the other week. We played stableford, and after 4 holes I parred 3 and had a single bogey on the other. Yes, 13 points after 4 holes. I then blobbed 3 of the remaining 5 and ended up with 18. On one hole I was putting from the edge of the green on a par 5 for a birdie, and I ended up with a score of 8. 

As much as I love playing, there are a few things I really don't like. The first shot of the day, which is always a massive slice. The fact my body is falling apart as a result of playing to much, and watching good players make it all look so easy.

• Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I got nothing, slow play stinks but I don't get all crazy about it, and I don't run into it very often on my courses, so I would say I hate nothing about golf.

There was a time that I would get very frustrated when stinking, I would turn to the dark side, and probably hated a lot about golf then, but I've worked that out, now when I stink I just forget and move on very quickly.

Edited by MrDC

I hate my two way miss. Standing on the tee having no idea which way the ball is gonna go...No bueno....

Colin P.

11 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I hate my two way miss. Standing on the tee having no idea which way the ball is gonna go...No bueno....

You and Jordan Spieth.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

2 hours ago, 9wood said:

I remind myself that a bad day golfing is better than a good day at work. Other than that, I hate rude golfers 

"a bad day golfing is better than a good day at work", but a day by the pool is less stressful than both of those!

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I try to tell myself that, except that sometimes I'd take a bad day at work to a frustrating day on the course. At least I'm getting paid to be at work as opposed to paying to play bad golf.

What I hate most about golf is I don't have enough time and money to play as much as I'd like.

I have to use my vacation time to leave work early to go play golf.
when I shoot a poor round all I can think is I traded a few hours of vacation time to triple bogie a par 3!!!!!!

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Three shanks in a row = hate. Lots and lots of hate.

Followed by a 3 putt!!!!!! and you described my last round!

1 hour ago, 9wood said:

I find that to be true in many cases. Then there are those who brag about how far they drive the ball but when you watch them, they don't drive the ball nearly as far as they think they did, or they hit a big slice way to the right or hit a big hook into the woods off to the left. As for me a long drive isn't a measure of manhood, but rather a better chance to get off a good 2nd shot

I have an average drive of 260 to 275. I do not brag about my driving distance, at least I don't seriously brag. I usually have to hit last. I will also joke to others in the 4 some about hitting a real drive. All in jest.
With that said, I have a lousy second shot and a worse short game. So when people compliment me on my drive I am humble enough to tell them It is wasted thanks to my lousy short game.

What I "hate" about golf is the cost. I my current clubs are ill fitted for me. I need stiff shafts. I can not afford new clubs, or used clubs or even hand me downs!

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Just now, Elmer said:

Followed by a 3 putt!!!!!! and you described my last round!

Putting is tough when you are too angry to see straight. A three-putt would be a good result under those circumstances.

When you've been on your best run of form ever, when you're constantly hitting around your lowest score on a consistent basis for 6-7 games, then one day out of the blue she gives you a nightmare card - A score above what you'd expect your worst score to be. And you haven't a clue whats going on, thats just happened to me this morning - Good thread topic, I didn't have to think about my answer lol 

My biggest "issue" with golf is that it simply takes too long to play a round of golf. It's ~6 hours, door to door, to play 18 holes unless you play during a weekday. At least that's what you have to plan for, bonus if you're done faster, but in my experience even during the week there's at least a 25% chance you'll get stuck behind a few groups which means 4 hrs minimum for the round.

It's not slow play, the game just takes too long to play 18 holes unless you're good (single digit hcp or better) and because of the time commitment required to play very few people are any good at it. The 2.5hr "magical" solo round every once in a while when the course is empty makes a lot of people frustrated apparently (me included at times), but the fact is it takes a while for 4 people to each hit a golf ball 100+ times on a golf course.

If 10 holes was considered a round, I think you'd see a lot more people playing the sport.

23 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

Slow play, bumpy greens.

At my club the 14th green is right next to the parking lot, so a lot of times that's all I play. 18 holes take too much time.

I like your position on it. 

People that complain it takes too long don't have a real gripe.  They always have the option to leave anytime during a round.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

I guess if there was anything I could possibly hate about the game it's just the cost to play.  And that is what it is, so I deal with it.  

I can even find a way to rationalize slow play by looking at it like when the course is unusually slow, at least I don't feel rushed. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!