IGNORED

Vice Golf Balls - Anyone Tried them?

2 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

No, they aren't exactly the same price.  I think they qualify as the same "price point", but fine. They are not the same price.  Vice is a lil cheaper.  The used ProVs I buy are even cheaper than that.

And obviously the stigma of playing used balls has clouded this discussion.  My opinion is a pristine used ball is no different than a new one that has been played for a few holes.  So if anyone would choose to play a new ProV over a new Vice, Snell, or other, then its not that big a stretch to also prefer to play a high quality used ProV.  If someone's opinion is that used balls aren't worth the trouble, then that argument won't resonate.  I get that.

And now we're just going to continue to go in circles here.  The Vice is a fine ball by all accounts.  But there are plenty of other fine balls out there.  That's the point you're not entertaining.  Vice is as good as ProV.  I'm not saying it isn't.  I am saying there are other balls at a similar price point that are also as good as a ProV.  Which means there are other balls at that price point which are just as good as Vice.  Specifically Snell, but I also like the Maxfli Tour. 

So, to finally answer your question, all else being equal, fine, I'll choose a new ball over a pristine used ProV.  But I'd choose a Snell or Maxfli Tour over a Vice when deciding which new ball to buy.

I'll be honest, outside of the Snell and the Maxfli (which I don't think is a superior ball, the Snell is way better IMHO), I'm not terribly familiar with the other options you mentioned. Actually, my main thing was finding the cheapest brightest yellow tour ball I could find which led me to the Vice.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'll be honest, outside of the Snell and the Maxfli (which I don't think is a superior ball, the Snell is way better IMHO), I'm not terribly familiar with the other options you mentioned. Actually, my main thing was finding the cheapest brightest yellow tour ball I could find which led me to the Vice.

The Snell is a great ball, if they had a lime green I would probably play it, but the lime green is the way to go. I’ve played the Maxfli and I didn’t like it at all.  I’ve also tried the Oncore, it was OK. I have some yellow Pro V1s which I like as well as the VIce or Snell, but only buy them when I have credit to spend after a tournament, if I can’t find something else to buy.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

So we have some common ground!  Finding a cheap yellow tour ball was my motivation as well... which led me to Snell and Maxfli Tour.

As far as  getting an objective opinion on golf ball performance, ill refer you to this test done by MyGolfSpy.  Maxfli Tour performs just fine.

topballs_v2.jpg

Always play your best game. Read the Golf Ball Buyer's Guide from MyGolf Spy to always get the best golf balls. Read more so you can improve your game!

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

The Snell is a great ball, if they had a lime green I would probably play it, but the lime green is the way to go. I’ve played the Maxfli and I didn’t like it at all.  I’ve also tried the Oncore, it was OK. I have some yellow Pro V1s which I like as well as the VIce or Snell, but only buy them when I have credit to spend after a tournament, if I can’t find something else to buy.

Did you play the green Maxfli Tour?  If so, I agree I don't care for it.  It comes in a matte finish, and its just odd.  I much prefer the more traditional finish they put on the yellow.

10 hours ago, bweiss711 said:

So we have some common ground!  Finding a cheap yellow tour ball was my motivation as well... which led me to Snell and Maxfli Tour.

As far as  getting an objective opinion on golf ball performance, ill refer you to this test done by MyGolfSpy.  Maxfli Tour performs just fine.

topballs_v2.jpg

Always play your best game. Read the Golf Ball Buyer's Guide from MyGolf Spy to always get the best golf balls. Read more so you can improve your game!

Did you play the green Maxfli Tour?  If so, I agree I don't care for it.  It comes in a matte finish, and its just odd.  I much prefer the more traditional finish they put on the yellow.

I can't remember what the exact Maxfli I tried.  It was one of their urethane balls but was probably a couple years ago when I did try it.  It felt dead to me when I hit it, so I never tried them again.  All of the balls play relatively the same for me (Pro V1x, Snell, Vice) and I like the lime green color, so it has been Vice for me.  I like the red ones too (just to be a non-conformer), but they are hard to find in the Fall, unless you hit it in the fairway every time, of which I do not.  Although I am playing the Yellow Pro V1x's right now, as I was at a golf course and the pro said they couldn't get rid of their yellow Pro V1x's and he sold them to me new for $20, so I bought the last 4 dozen he had.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Snell since they came out, and I really like that ball. However, I have been intrigued by Vice and came across a pack of the Pro+ at Target of all places today so I picked them up. I want to see how they do for me compared to the MTB-X that I currently have.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 month later...

I've bought the balls from Costco the past few years.  A great 3 piece ball. For the normal golfer like us you can't beat them and they are half the price.  Kirkland Signature is the name on the. 

• 2 weeks later...

I should be receiving my Vice Pros today or tomorrow. The lime green was finally back in stock, so I got a 5 pack! I'm curious to see how green they are in person. The matte green Callaway Supersofts are my favorite colored ball to play, but they too marshmellowy for me, especially off the putter. I've tried Bridgestone's e12 soft in the matte green, but I wasn't a fan. 

MGS's golf ball snobbery has convinced me that I needed to play non matte, firmer, urethane balls. So I've tried various models, and I admit that it has improved my game some, but I refuse to pay premium prices. $30 is about my limit. I bought a variety pack of Snell's at the end of last season in yellow, I really wanted to like them, but for some reason I just don't. Not to mention they are having supply issues as well now, and have increased prices. 

Srixon Z-Stars have been my gamer when the Father's Day BOGO sail comes along. $20/dozen tour quality balls can't be beat! Plus you can get last year's model at Walmart for $25.

Anyways, MGS gave the new 2020 version of Vice Pros a good review, and YouTube's Peter French switched from TP5x to Vice Pro+. As much as I hate Vice's marketing, nothing screams "I'm a complete douche" than being a Vice brand ambassador, they are the only company that has a ball that checks all 3 boxes for me, urethane cover, under $30, and in a non-matte green. So I figured that I would give them a go this season. 

4 hours ago, Kitsu said:

I'm curious to see how green they are in person.

I think the Vice lime green color is pretty nice. The only quirk about the ball for me is that sometimes it is well camouflaged in grass. Not a major problem, but this happens to me early morning with the sun just cresting over the hills, when the grass is wet, and usually playing toward the sun rise. I've actually walked right past my ball on the fairway multiple times.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:38 PM, colin007 said:

Big fan of the Vice lime green Pro+ here

I know it's been a while for this topic, but I just picked up the Vice Pro Plus in lime and white during the Black Friday Special. I think I have a new ball. I am a Prov1X guy for years, but I really like the Pro Plus for the following reasons: 

• It's a firmer ball. Think Pro V1x or TP5x and it's hard to tell the difference
  • Plenty of short iron spin
  • High Visibility Colors
  • Decent alignment aid 
  • Distances are spot on, great flight off the driver 
  • Durability better than TP series, slightly better than ProV series so far 
  • Price is right (I really don't buy a lot of balls but a buck is a buck). 

I did find them a little clicky off the wedges but that goes with the firmness. Overall, this has been a great ball. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

36 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I know it's been a while for this topic, but I just picked up the Vice Pro Plus in lime and white during the Black Friday Special. I think I have a new ball. I am a Prov1X guy for years, but I really like the Pro Plus for the following reasons: 

• It's a firmer ball. Think Pro V1x or TP5x and it's hard to tell the difference
  • High Visibility Colors
  • Decent alignment aid 

I did find them a little clicky off the wedges but that goes with the firmness. Overall, this has been a great ball. 

I couldn't agree more, I don't think you can find a better ball at the price

Colin P.

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I couldn't agree more, I don't think you can find a better ball at the price

Yah, I am really impressed. The lime went a whole 18 and barely had a mark on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, TourSpoon said:

• High Visibility Colors
  • Decent alignment aid 

I really like this ball. I have done a sleeve of green and a sleeve of white and I am sold. The durability is so much better than TP5X and ProV1x. I just don't see a weakness, so they go into the bag. 

Yes

I do think they are bit too firm for me. Not compression, but the cover feels firm on irons, short game shots, and putting. I like a softer cover. Otherwise, I think they perform similar to a Snell MTB, or Pro-V1. I do not have any hard data on it, but it wasn't noticeable on the course. Example, it wasn't like the ball wasn't holding greens or running out much more on pitch shots. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 months later...

So just for kicks, I grabbed a dozen of the Pro model. A tad bit softer and slightly higher trajectory (all this is anecdotal). I want to believe the Pro Plus was a little better off the driver, but again, that is just my perception. Once I run through these balls, I am going Pro Plus exclusively. Durability, like Pro Plus, is excellent! 

My golf buddy purchased 5 dozen recently and has played them the past couple of seasons. Was a real fan. His club pro (new club for him), bashed them and basically all direct to consumer balls like the Snells I usually play. He says the cores are not always centered and that he is losing 15 to 20 yards. 
So now he is trying to unload dozens of vice balls.

15 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

He says the cores are not always centered

Like Callaway?   

The Vice Pro is a decent ball.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny