IGNORED

Rate Your Game Relative to Same Handicappers

iacas
Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rate yourself relative to golfers with the same handicap index as you. A is great, F is terrible.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your full swing?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your short game?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  3. 3. Relative to golfers of the same handicap index, how do you rate your putting?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I voted what I "thought" my game was:

Full swing: C

Short Game: B

Putting: F

This is what GameGolf tells me:

GameGolf.jpg

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I gave myself fairly good scores on a basis that my strengths are my iron play, short game and putting.

B, A, A

Although, my short game on average is probably B minus, now that I reconsider my thoughts.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

This is an odd way to rank if you are expecting things to 'balance out', because long game contributes like 66% toward total scoring / total game.

Long game B, (good GIR for HCP, good distance for HCP, higher than average penalties on drive) 

Short game about C- to D (sometimes quite good, sometimes quite bad)

Putting D- for (consistently poor for handicap).

Kevin

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I gave myself fairly good scores on a basis that my strengths are my iron play, short game and putting.

B, A, A

Although, my short game on average is probably B minus, now that I reconsider my thoughts.

Then how are you a 9? You're better than the other 9s (your peers). Even if you change the A to a B-. You're still better at all phases of the game. How?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I gave myself a D for a full swing, as that is where I tend to lose shots. Gave myself a B for short game as I get up and down more often then not. Putting is my real strength and gave myself an A on that one,

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're still better at all phases of the game. How?

No, the questions were not all phases of the game. Full swing, short game and putting are only various parts of the game.

"Relative to golfers of the same handicap index"  I'm only making my judgment on golfers I personally know and golf with so I guess it would be my "peers"

My short game is stupid. I make the hard shots look easy and sometimes make easy shots look like I've never played the game before.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then how are you a 9?

I play to a nine, my usual rounds are low 80's with a pretty good round now and then in the 70's

Putting has always been the strength of my game.

Other strengths which are not mentioned are I seldom have penalty strokes in many rounds, I make a few birdies in most rounds and keep doubles off the card most days.

My game is boring, mostly bogey's and pars, with moments of greatness now and then.

Granted, I have bad rounds every now and then.

Does that sum up a nine handicapper? Or a B,B-, A ? 

13 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

No, the questions were not all phases of the game. Full swing, short game and putting are only various parts of the game.

"Relative to golfers of the same handicap index"  I'm only making my judgment on golfers I personally know and golf with so I guess it would be my "peers"

My short game is stupid. I make the hard shots look easy and sometimes make easy shots look like I've never played the game before.

I play to a nine, my usual rounds are low 80's with a pretty good round now and then in the 70's

Putting has always been the strength of my game.

Other strengths which are not mentioned are I seldom have penalty strokes in many rounds, I make a few birdies in most rounds and keep doubles off the card most days.

My game is boring, mostly bogey's and pars, with moments of greatness now and then.

Granted, I have bad rounds every now and then.

His point is that if you play that much better than your handicap peers in all phases of the game, your handicap should be dropping like a stone.  If you are just idling along, then you can't be playing that much better than your peers.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Those are all phases of the game.

As Rich said:

11 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

His point is that if you play that much better than your handicap peers in all phases of the game, your handicap should be dropping like a stone.  If you are just idling along, then you can't be playing that much better than your peers.

So…

Peers = players with the same handicap index.

You're not reading the poll questions or something, John. :-)

You can't be better than average ( C ) than your "same handicap peers" and still be the same handicap.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, Fourputt said:

His point is that if you play that much better than your handicap peers in all phases of the game, your handicap should be dropping like a stone

Ok, guess that makes sense in relative to the few basic aspects which were compared to players of similar handicaps.

I guess I took the questions given my strengths are decent iron (full swing) decent short game and good putting rounds.

But, it's also a given that I'm a club member, play the same course daily, have decent course management and know our greens.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't be better than average ( C ) than your "same handicap peers" and still be the same handicap.

Then I guess the several trophies I have for being Match Play and Stroke Play Champion in my handicap division and given that I've made it to semi-final rounds multiple times, I feel I do better than a "C" grade in the three categories.

I've played to a lower handicap when I younger, I could most likely be a lower handicap if I would only played our Senior tees with guys my age.

Off topic:  Thanks for sharing the picks today Erik of the PGA event.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Then I guess the several trophies I have for being Match Play and Stroke Play Champion in my handicap division and given that I've made it to semi-final rounds multiple times, I feel I do better than a "C" grade in the three categories.

You can't play better in all phases of the game than a typical 9 handicapper and be a 9 handicapper.

"I'm a better player all-around than scratch golfers. My handicap? I'm a 3." Get what I mean?

I went B full swing, D short game, D putting.

I average between 7 and 8 GIR per round (and I'm on the fringe 1 other time), and about 15 nGIR + GIR per round. I'm pretty sure all of these are above average for my handicap. I have above average distance, and my iron play is pretty strong. I think I could maybe call this an A, but I lose a few too many balls off the tee for that. 

Short game is bad, in comparison. I get up and down about 20% of the time, and probably about 15% sand saves from greenside bunkers. That's definitely below average.

Putting is also bad. I probably could give myself an F here, but I was a little generous. I have actually improved a bit with raw numbers this year, but I have a lot of three putts (my three putt % is around 15%). Having more than 36 putts in a round will occasionally happen. I'm actually a decent short putter, but my distance control is not good. Need to work on that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

D - full swing

B - short game

C - putting

D - mental game, B - on attitude, A on drinking beer afterward.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 5 juni 2016 at 3:04 AM, iacas said:

You can't play better in all phases of the game than a typical 9 handicapper and be a 9 handicapper.

"I'm a better player all-around than scratch golfers. My handicap? I'm a 3." Get what I mean?

But he is, compared to the 9 cappers he plays with. So they must be vanity cappers, or he is a sandbagger :-)

Or he raises to the occasion when it counts and is truly better then his peers.

Edited by MacDutch

On 6/5/2016 at 0:04 AM, rkim291968 said:

D - full swing

B - short game

C - putting

D - mental game, B - on attitude, A on drinking beer afterward.

I'm a plus handicap in the tavern.  :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I rated my full swing an F, my Short game an A, and my putting a C.

My short game and putting save me from many horrendous scores, but I miss too many putts from around 5-10 feet for it to be higher than a C, because it seems like a lot of the people I play with around my handicap can make putts from everywhere on the green. My full swing is an F because I'm still rebuilding to try to take the steepness away so I often push-slice my tee shots while trying to be shallower in the downswing and more on plane in the backswing. 

Good poll, really made me think about my game!

18 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

My short game and putting save me from many horrendous scores, but I miss too many putts from around 5-10 feet for it to be higher than a C, because it seems like a lot of the people I play with around my handicap can make putts from everywhere on the green. 

Don't be too hard on yourself for missing some putts, the pros only make about half from 8 feet. I bet most 12 handicappers make only around half from 5 feet.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

IME most don't have a clue what their strengths and weaknesses are. The members here represent and small group of golfers that track stats and analyze their games to the many that just go out and play. Every time I am out I see or get paired with someone belly-aching about poor shots and missed 50 foot putts.

I hear stuff like if I'd only made that putt I would have made a par. The reality is they were lucky to even have a chance because they hit a crap drive that led to missing the green and the half terrible pitch that left them a 50 footer for par is the long way around to decent scoring. They didn't make par because they missed the putt it's because they hit 3 poor shots prior to the that left them a 50 foot putt.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!