IGNORED

"No, I don't want your input," random guy on range

Note:Β This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I was at the range today working on what my instructor has taught me, wearing earphones to keep out distractions. I guess I paused and turned around long enough for the guy behind me to ask:

"Do you want some input ? "

Why should I? I don't know him. He's not a PGA instructor is he? At best he's going to tell me what I already know and probably the same things I'm working on.

I know what you guys are going to say - "Oh I never pay attention to anything else....."

Not me. It pisses me off when some random person volunteers freeΒ advice. What I really think he isΒ saying is "Β hey I'm better than you and I want to prove it by diagnosing your swing faults."

And for what it's worth, asΒ amateur as I am, I can look at anyone's swing and find a fault. It's fairlyΒ easy to see someone else's swing issues. The hard part is what to do about them.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I think you are taking it a bit more personal than it was intended but I understand how you feel. Β I was working on my back swing positions and if anyone saw the resulting shots they'd been suggesting I take up another sport not offering me free advice. Β Β Β 

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I know what you guys are going to say - "Oh I never pay attention to anything else....."

Nope. What I am going toΒ say is, relax man. It's just a game. Smile and listen to whatever that person has to say graciously or politely decline his offer. Either way, just move on with your life after that. No need to get worked up over it.

You don't know him, he doesn't know you. Maybe he is an instructor. He doesn't know you already have an instructor. Maybe he is genuinely trying to help. Either way it seems like you're getting awfully defensive over something trivial.

• Upvote 2

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Nope. What I am going toΒ say is, relax man. It's just a game. Smile and listen to whatever that person has to say graciously or politely decline his offer. Either way, just move on with your life after that. No need to get worked up over it.

You don't know him, he doesn't know you. Maybe he is an instructor. He doesn't know you already have an instructor. Maybe he is genuinely trying to help. Either way it seems like you're getting awfully defensive over something trivial.

Actually what you said is pretty close to what I predicted LOL.

10 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I think you are taking it a bit more personal than it was intended but I understand how you feel. Β I was working on my back swing positions and if anyone saw the resulting shots they'd been suggesting I take up another sport not offering me free advice. Β Β Β 

Even a better point.Β 

As far as it being personal - yeah it was. Maybe not mean , but since I was the lone recipient it was.

24 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Actually what you said is pretty close to what I predicted LOL.

Well if you didn't want my input, you shouldn't have started a thread on an internet forum.Β ;-)

Oh and keep your head down, you're looking up at your ballflight early and it's causing your (insert cliche miss here).Β :-P

• Upvote 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Well if you didn't want my input, you shouldn't have started a thread on an internet forum.Β ;-)

Oh and keep your head down, you're looking up at your ballflight early and it's causing your (insert cliche miss here).Β :-P

I really do want it Bill. I"m not thin skinned just at golf.

By the way I think you're stance is too wide, yourΒ grip is too tight, yourΒ too close to the ball, and you need more shoulder turn....

Funny - I was thinking next time I could turn the tables and offer to evaluate the voluntary instructor first next time....

Wearing headphones is now the universal sign for "don't bother me". Somebody who approaches you without noticing that is probably a tool.

• Upvote 2

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

14 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Funny - I was thinking next time I could turn the tables and offer to evaluate the voluntary instructor first next time....

Don't forget to say you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

There's another side to this coin. First let me make it quite clear, that 99.9% of unsolicited help from strangers is usually a dead end street. I have had it done to me, and didn't care much for it either.Β 

But just for the sake of discussion, what if the person butting in, actually knows something that can help? What if the nuisance guy drops a little diddy on you, and your golf planets totally align, giving you that answer for your swing no one could before? The one you have been trying to find to shave a stroke or two off your game?Β 

Those kind of people do exist. They are not pga pros, or any other type of registered golf swing instructor. They have little ideas, that at first, sound really dumb, making them the laughing stock by those of us who think we know better. I have actually met one these humans.Β 

Many years ago, while on my PS/1 Β (any flash backs?) computer, I was a member of a small golf forum. We had a guy on there, who had all theses weird ideas on developing a consistant,Β usable golf swing. We all made fun of him because that's what we were made of back then. I took it upon myself to prove this guy a foolish, old relic. I drove from Vegas to Oklahoma to meet this guy at his home. He had invited me. Long story short. The guy was the real deal, with picts, and written accolades from some well known serious golfers from other sports. Even a few pga/lpga folks were on his walls.Β 

So my long post here is to just remind people that they shouldn't prejudge others. You just never know who you might really be shoving aside, until you get to know them.Β 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

There's another side to this coin. First let me make it quite clear, that 99.9% of unsolicited help from strangers is usually a dead end street. I have had it done to me, and didn't care much for it either.Β 

But just for the sake of discussion, what if the person butting in, actually knows something that can help? What if the nuisance guy drops a little diddy on you, and your golf planets totally align, giving you that answer for your swing no one could before? The one you have been trying to find to shave a stroke or two off your game?Β 

Those kind of people do exist. They are not pga pros, or any other type of registered golf swing instructor. They have little ideas, that at first, sound really dumb, making them the laughing stock by those of us who think we know better. I have actually met one these humans.Β 

Many years ago, while on my PS/1 Β (any flash backs?) computer, I was a member of a small golf forum. We had a guy on there, who had all theses weird ideas on developing a consistant,Β usable golf swing. We all made fun of him because that's what we were made of back then. I took it upon myself to prove this guy a foolish, old relic. I drove from Vegas to Oklahoma to meet this guy at his home. He had invited me. Long story short. The guy was the real deal, with picts, and written accolades from some well known serious golfers from other sports. Even a few pga/lpga folks were on his walls.Β 

So my long post here is to just remind people that they shouldn't prejudge others. You just never know who you might really be shoving aside, until you get to know them.Β 

Yeah, and besides, he might have a hot sister!

:w00t:Β 

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

• iacas changed the title to "No, I don't want your input," random guy on range
1 hour ago, Patch said:

It's always possible someone freely volunteering swing advice knows what they are talking about and might help but in the case of the OP, he's working with someone and was working on a priority piece just as I was. Β Β 

Golf is one of those activities where people just seem to feel the need to offer unsolicited advice. Β I see crappy drivers out on the road every day, you don't see someone pull along side of them and offer free driving tips (at least not without some swear words thrown in). Β Imagine hanging out a gym andΒ offering other Β adultsΒ advice on shooting a basketball, lifting weights or swinging a bat. Β 

Joe Paradiso

I had this happen once. I just appeased the guy for a few minutes then went back to what I was doing.Β 

Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

9 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's always possible someone freely volunteering . Β Imagine hanging out a gym andΒ offering other Β adultsΒ advice on shooting a basketball, lifting weights or swinging a bat. Β 

Well said. And beyond being unwelcome for me the disruption becomes a new distraction.

The worst example came a couple of days after a lesson years ago. I'm about 2 feet off the practice green, practicing a SW chip to a pin about 10 feet on. Idea is to pop the ball just onto the green, and the loft will hopefully check up the ball enough to prevent it from running away.

Some guy comes up to me - with his 5-year-old son in tow, ofΒ course - and says, "You really should be chipping with a 7 iron."

I try to explain that I'm working toΒ a close-in cup.Β 

He says he's an 8 HDCP, and knows what he's talking about.Β  I wave Dad-manΒ over and tell him to butt out. He gets huffy, but I just walk away.

The kid saves the day. "Daaaa-d, let's go home!" They were gone in sixty seconds.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

There was a time when that would've bugged the crap out of me.Β  I had my "range routine" . .I would go find the farthest away empty stall.Β  I did not want to be bothered. Β 

I don't really feel that way about it anymore - as my swing has gotten better I've stopped becoming so self-aware at the range (not that you are - but I was).Β  During my "self conscious" times - it would've thrown me off big time just thinking that somebody was paying attention to me - like ruined my whole practice session. Β 

FWIW - I certainly would not approach anybody at the range with swing advice.Β  Even if I thought I knew something that could help, I'd keep it to myself.Β  Who am I? George Gankas?Β  No, lol . .that's a different driving range. Β  Β 

Β Β  Β 

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Β 

Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

18 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Show me yours and I'll show you mine!

It's never an attractive woman that offers to help for some reason....

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

It's never an attractive woman that offers to help for some reason....

Haw! I figured there were three ways this could end, two of them badly! One, the guy just goes away. Two, he punches you in the mouth! Three, he invites you to go for a walk in the woods! This last one is kind of terrifying!

And, yes! You're exactly right! I've never found women to be so full of themselves that they would offer advice when they haven't been asked.

Wait a minute! What the hell am I thinking?!

Note:Β This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!