IGNORED

2016 PGA Championship at the Baltusrol Golf Club Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lingmerth embarrassed at his piddly squat 289 yard drive.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

McIlroy's 345 yarder swing doesn't look much different from his normal ones.

About 9-9.5 second hang time?

It does look like they are getting a slight elevated tee box boost. Worth 10 yards?

Kevin

McIlroy's 345 yarder swing doesn't look much different from his normal ones.

Sigh.... life's not fair lol.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

5 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Soft course = bomber's paradise.

With those conditions, it could be McIlroy winning again. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

22 hours ago, Grndslmhttr3 said:

I thought about going to this, but by the time I decided to get Saturday tickets, they were sold out. I guess I could get tickets from something like StubHub, but I have no interest in dealing with North Jersey traffic (I don't know whether Union County is North or Central Jersey, since Wikipedia says it's both).

Ask two people from New Jersey - you'll still get two different answers, but MAN will they be vehement about it.  ;-)  (FWIW, it's Central Jersey, and I will fight anyone who says differently)

And...Byeong Hun An (?) passes McIlroy with a 347-yarder...

- John

Everything you ever wanted to know about Baltusrol, the golf course/club:

https://www.nps.gov/nhl/news/LC/fall2013/Baltusrol.pdf

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, natureboy said:

Phil on keys to Baltusrol:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/phil-mickelson-keys-playing-baltusrol/

Says greens are running at 13.6 stimp. Seems high when PGA setup not typically known for 'very fast' greens.

Unless that's an inflated number like they reported at the Oakmont.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Unless that's an inflated number like they reported at the Oakmont.  

Good point. Phil isn't personally very knowledgeable or experienced with greens/putting/Major setups so if that wasn't his own number (which I suspect) he wouldn't be much of an authority to evaluate or counter the 'official' number. ;-)

Kevin

I played in the NJ state amateur at Balty a few years ago. I missed the cut, unfortunately.  But I'm looking forward to seeing how that my grand score stands up agaist these players! :-P

The kid that won went bonkers if i remember right though. Shot like 15 under or something ridiculous like that. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 7/22/2016 at 10:46 PM, Aguirre said:

Two Par 5s to finish is always interesting. One three shotter, one reachable. I don't know what the temps are supposed to be, but it's going to be blazing hot here in Pittsburgh the next week. I'll be in Myrtle Beach during the event (where it will also be blazing hot). We can usually count on the PGA not to let any greens get out of control, but they may have to cut the rough a bit.

No. 17
649 yards, Par 5
One of the longest and most famous par 5s in championship golf, No. 17 sets up the unusual back-to-back par 5 finish at Baltusrol, which can fuel high drama for players in contention coming down the stretch. A long, accurate drive is necessary to be able to carry the cross bunkers on the second shot. A pot bunker lurks out of sight on the left side 100 yards out from the green; players willing to challenge this bunker will be rewarded with an open view to the green for their third shot. Otherwise, the shot faced into this green will be uphill and completely blind. The longest of hitters will have a go at this green in two.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/course/2016/tour/17

47531027.jpg

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Rory & DJ synchronized

Steve

Rory & DJ synchronized

Rory looks like a little kid next to DJ.  

Joe Paradiso

On July 26, 2016 at 5:54 PM, ChrisP said:

Good for ball strikers like Rory, DJ, Sergio and Jason. Bad for Spieth and Zach Johnson.

I think Spieth is a bit underrated when it comes to hitting it long of the tee.  If I'm not mistaken he hit it 314 in the long drive comp on Tuesday.  I don't think distance will prevent him from winning this week.  His approach shots haven't been great.  His strokes gain on approach shots is 118th in 2016 in 2015 he was 11th.  If he starts hitting it close like last year he will be fine.

10 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

I think Spieth is a bit underrated when it comes to hitting it long of the tee.  If I'm not mistaken he hit it 314 in the long drive comp on Tuesday.  I don't think distance will prevent him from winning this week.  His approach shots haven't been great.  His strokes gain on approach shots is 118th in 2016 in 2015 he was 11th.  If he starts hitting it close like last year he will be fine.

It's not the distance off the tee that's hurting Spieth this year, it's accuracy; he's 113th on the PGA Tour in 2016. His distance would be good enough if he was finding the fairway, but he hasn't been as good at that he was in 2015. On a 7,400-yard course, that's a big problem.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

37 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

It's not the distance off the tee that's hurting Spieth this year, it's accuracy; he's 113th on the PGA Tour in 2016. His distance would be good enough if he was finding the fairway, but he hasn't been as good at that he was in 2015. On a 7,400-yard course, that's a big problem.

163rd GIR is much more important to scoring than113th in driving accuracy IMO. Dustin Johnson is ranked 142nd  in driving accuracy. What does that say. Dustin is 29th in GIR by the way.

5 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

163rd GIR is much more important to scoring than113th in driving accuracy IMO. Dustin Johnson is ranked 142nd  in driving accuracy. What does that say. Dustin is 29th in GIR by the way.

Yup.  It's all about GIR. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!