IGNORED

How Would You Play this Shot?

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So after hooking my tee shot on a par 3, I find myself looking at this. About 20 yards left of the green, the green downhill from me and then sloping further away from me. Zoom in to see how the ball is completely on top of that bark.

0719161454-1.jpg

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pray to whatever god you believe in and hope it doesn't do something stupid :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'd try a soft, open-faced, pitch and think about jarring it.  I'd try to utilize the bounce by coming down on top of the bark.  And I would arrange that suitable refreshment be provided, in due course, should success ensue.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Right or wrong, I'd open the club face and play it like a long greenside bunker shot.  Not sure I'd beat myself up over the outcome regardless of how it turned out. 

I had this lie a few years ago and hit it to 30 yds of the green 200yds out.The joys of the game!

image.jpg

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

20 yards away from the green which rolls downhill?  I'd tap it with my 4w  - just hard enough to make it to the fringe and hope it didn't roll off. 

I'd probably copy an open face , sand shot, and hope for the best. Maybe use a PW, even a 9i. Maybe call it a flop shot. I am pretty good with an open face shot off that kind of lie. Just a knack I have. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'd have to see the the actual 20 yard approach, but a putter is a likely option.  

Failing that, it's a bunker type explosion...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

One of two options.  A punch shot or a sand/flop shot.  Depends on what is there between the ball and the green and where the pin is.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

If there wasn't a hazard of death bunker between me and the green, I would've put the ball back in my stance and try to chase it up there with a 6 or 7 iron. If i had to fly it, just a typical 20 yard pitch with my 58.  The bark in itself would have been irrelevant to me as far as playing the shot goes. Its not between the club and the ball. 

I forgot to mention that there is a bunker in between.

Basically, I tried to hit it like a bunker explosion shot, but I weakassed on the way down, flubbed it, short even of the bunker, pitched on, two putt, 5, went home and kicked my goldfish.

Colin P.

Interesting lie. I kind of wonder what kind of result a low spinner would produce. For some reason I look at that lie and I'm thinking I don't want to come in shallow and catch that bark so I'd probably come in steeper and try to catch the ball clean.

I might have to replicate it sometime and try it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

half-way open SW, pretend the tree bark isn't there. Pray. Swing.

So, please tell us what actually happened with that rather unfortunate lie.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'd have to see the the actual 20 yard approach, but a putter is a likely option.  

Failing that, it's a bunker type explosion...

I was thinking a similar approach with a hybrid or fairway. Just pop it off the bark. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Take out my 64*, Play the ball mid-stance and come down steep hoping to have it check up on the green.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

1 hour ago, dave s said:

half-way open SW, pretend the tree bark isn't there. Pray. Swing.

So, please tell us what actually happened with that rather unfortunate lie.

dave

This is my original thought too.  Thinking is that in general a messy lie you want a harder swing to get through to the ball.  But this isn't deep grass or dirt.  The bark might not conform with more speed.  It might just hit it whatever weird direction it was gonna spray off but even harder because you're swinging harder.  Might it actually be better, in terms of expected distance from the hole, to hit whatever is the lowest shot you think you could reliably get over the bunker but keep on the green with a relatively high percentage?  As in, minimize your swing speed rather than maximize?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I'd play it the same way I play a pitch shot from the fairway, except there will be no spin on the ball so I'd land it short and allow for run out.

Ball in middle of stance, up right shaft angle, slide the 56* along the ground, commit to the shot.

With the bunker between you and the hole it seems a bunker explosion might be the best play. Anything where you try to pick the ball cleanly off the bark opens you up to a large risk of blading it. A bunker style shot will let you get the height and distance you need, even if the bark might cause it to go slightly sideways when you wedge goes under it.

I'd be in the 'explosion' camp with a lower lofted wedge (GW / PW) since it looks from the photo that there's a little piece of the bark sticking up in the back.

If that little bit of bark in the back is actually below the equator of the ball, I might try to nip it clean with a chip / leading edge pitch.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!