IGNORED

Can't get excited about the PGA Championship

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

I know I may be in the minority on this, but I just can't get worked up about this week. Don't get me wrong, I love a good tournament, but am I the only one that can't get as excited about the PGA Championship as the the other 3 majors? Why is that?

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will be at Baltusrol on Sunday and hope for a great finish.  Unfortunately, the PGA Championship does not have the mystique of Augusta and the Masters, the history of the British Open, or the prestige and trying course conditions of the US Open.  It is also being played early to accommodate the Olympics while the duel between Phil and Henrik is still fresh in our minds. But it does usually have the strongest field of all the majors and Baltusrol is a great test of golf.  I am excited about going and watching golfers like Rory, Dustin, Jason, and Jordan take on the challenge.  This is the 100 year anniversary of the PGA Championship (98th event due to WWI) so tradition is with this major.

Quite frankly I am having a difficult time getting up for golf in the Olympics but hopefully once it starts I will have a change in attitude.

• Upvote 1

I know what you mean. The other three have their identity. You know the course, or courses that are used. USPGA is like a bonus major on random(ish) courses. I'd like to see it taken to different countries around the globe each year. Australia, South Korea, South Africa etc

• Upvote 1

meh-cat_featured.png

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

24 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

Quite frankly I am having a difficult time getting up for golf in the Olympics but hopefully once it starts I will have a change in attitude.

Spoiler

OT but this is where I'm at. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

5 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:
  Hide contents

OT but this is where I'm at. 

Aside from the Masters-US OPEN-British Open, I tend to forget Golf is on sunday afternoon.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

56 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I know I may be in the minority on this, but I just can't get worked up about this week. Don't get me wrong, I love a good tournament, but am I the only one that can't get as excited about the PGA Championship as the the other 3 majors? Why is that?

No. I actually care much about about it either. I never have. Of the majors, the PGA championship has always felt the most frabricated and artificial to me. Its the only one of the 4 that needs the tag of being a "major" to make it significant. Take being a major away from the PGA, and its just another tournament. You cant say that about the Masters, US Open or Open Championship. 

Its important to the PGA professionals in the US, so i guess thats why its still a major in the grand scheme of things. But I've believed for a very long time that the PGA should be replaced on the Major roster by some type of eastern based tournament or a match play. 

• Upvote 1

I am not a fan of it either. Seen too many of these turn into birdyfests. Majors need to be set up tougher to bring out the best of the best. Just another WGC event to me. That or just another high profile weekly event. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Id like to start a petition to have the PGA Championship "Major" status removed in favor of The Players at Sawgrass taking its spot. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Just now, kpaulhus said:

Id like to start a petition to have the PGA Championship "Major" status removed in favor of The Players at Sawgrass taking its spot. 

Id like to see the Australian Open (or some type of eastern based tournament) take its place. The three largest pots of professional players are the US, Europe and eastern countries like Korea, Japan and Austrialia. They're only ones who don't have a major tournament in their region. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I'd sign it

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

This year, because the PGA comes so closely after the Open Championship, it has less interest for me, too.  It seems in many ways to be a clone of the U.S. Open.  Many of the same venues are used.  Instead of amateurs you have club pros filling out the field.

It would be cool to have a PGA Championship that traveled to other PG Association locales.  USA/Canada, Continental Europe, Japan/Korea, Australia/NZ, South America. Rotate it each year to a new area.  Since it is such a cash cow for the PGA of America, it won't happen, but one can dream.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

The most interesting thing I've heard so far is that the course was named after a farmer, Baltus Roll, who was murdered in 1831 on land that was to become the course.

Probably common knowledge around here but it's news to me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

52 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

This year, because the PGA comes so closely after the Open Championship, it has less interest for me, too.  It seems in many ways to be a clone of the U.S. Open.  Many of the same venues are used.  Instead of amateurs you have club pros filling out the field.

It would be cool to have a PGA Championship that traveled to other PG Association locales.  USA/Canada, Continental Europe, Japan/Korea, Australia/NZ, South America. Rotate it each year to a new area.  Since it is such a cash cow for the PGA of America, it won't happen, but one can dream.

I'm ok with the Club Pros getting into the PGA Championship. I always have been. 

There is little excitement for this year's event because of the proximity to the Open Championship and Olympic Tourney.

In my honest opinion, with the Olympic Tourney being a failure for the IOC... I'd think the PGA would have a little more luster. But it has creeped to the back burner of most sports outlets. Which is sad because it is one of Golf's four majors and this year is the 100th Anniversary of the PGA of America.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Watching a golf tournament always takes a backseat to playing or fishing...I enjoy the majors but it's hard to get worked up to purposely watch them if I have something else to do

2 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

Watching a golf tournament always takes a backseat to playing or fishing...I enjoy the majors but it's hard to get worked up to purposely watch them if I have something else to do

My life is pretty boring I guess. I always make time to watch the majors.

4 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Dunno if it's as true every year, but this PGA has a higher percent of the top 144 than the Players or U.S. Open and a higher percent of the top 75 than either as well. Can't be the strength / depth of field that's putting you off. Or do you just not like the types of courses they usually pick?

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!