IGNORED

Turn that boombox down/off ... you idiot!

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No music allowed on the course at my club unless it comes from one of the houses along it.  

I can tolerate most types of music so it wouldn't bother me but I could see how it causes problems given how diverse music choices are and how passionate some are about not liking certain types of music.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Strandly said:

Why do you even ask if you're not willing to turn it off.

You're right.  I should have said that we keep the volume lower around them.  Truth be told, it's not that loud to begin with.  About what you'd have in your car.  I can't hear it at all 50 yards away.  

We ask as a courtesy, because there are those that need or prefer absolute silence in their game, and if they'd rather not play with us at all, they should have that option prior to teeing off.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

My group plays music, and enjoys it.  Usually a little country or old school rock.  If someone is paired with us, we ask if they mind.  If they do, they're welcome to find someone else to play with.  Of course we tone it down if we run up on another group on a tee box, but that's the only possible time anyone else could possibly hear it.  

Being able to do so is why we play at a private club, @Grndslmhttr3;-).  

If it's quiet enough that other groups aren't able to hear it unless they're really close, I don't have an issue with it, but it doesn't sound like that was the case for the OP.

Interestingly enough, if I heard someone blasting Journey in the middle of the fairway, I'd be totally fine with it.

-Rich

I've said it before, but in a casual round you can have all the music you want as long as I can't hear it.  If I can hear it at any time then it's too loud.  I'm hearing impaired (I wear hearing aids) and I can usually hear music from the next fairway over even when they think that it's only loud enough for them to hear. 

Only as loud as in your car?  At times the music in my car could be heard 3 holes away when certain songs come on.  Since that is about the only time I do listen to my music, I play it pretty loud when I'm driving alone.  When something like Highway Star by Deep Purple comes on, I crank it up and rock, but I don't want to hear that on the golf course.

I don't get it anyway.  I really don't understand why people can't disconnect for 4 hours.  4 hours people!  You can listen in your car, listen when you work out, listen when you walk the dog... on and on ad infinitum.  Why the hell can't you turn it off on the golf course?  Learn to enjoy the music of nature.  The rules don't allow you to listen to music during competition, so why is so necessary in casual rounds?

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've yet to encounter someone playing music through a speaker at a course, although one driving range I go to sometimes plays music through speakers.  

Someone playing music loud enough for others to hear when they shouldn't just makes me think lovely thoughts of that scene from Star Trek IV

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

Only as loud as in your car?  At times the music in my car could be heard 3 holes away when certain songs come on.  Since that is about the only time I do listen to my music, I play it pretty loud when I'm driving alone.  When something like Highway Star by Deep Purple comes on, I crank it up and rock, but I don't want to hear that on the golf course.

I

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

For me, one of the best parts of golf is being outdoors in nature. If I can't hear road noise, all the better. On Wednesday, we were greeted with the alarm cries of a red tail hawk who was mad about something.

Me too.  I'm not really even much of an outdoorsy kind of person (I don't really camp or fish much or anything) but I enjoy the nature on the golf course.

I didn't know music on the golf course was that common.  I've come across it twice in my life, and one of those times was my friend playing with me on my birthday and he's not even a golfer.

All the way to the second page and no this?

I must be getting old, lol.

The point is - there was once a time when the notion of a radio on the golf course was so funny it was considered a joke!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

All the way to the second page and no this?

I must be getting old, lol.

The point is - there was once a time when the notion of a radio on the golf course was so funny it was considered a joke!

No joke any more, just a potential intrusion on other players' enjoyment of the game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. 

So in addition to potentially being rude, listening to music could also breach the rules.  Honestly, I don't mind the folks who listen to music considerately during casual play, keeping the volume low in general, and turning it down further when appropriate.  Its the guys who want to share their music with the entire world that should have their musical device dumped into the nearest waterway.

• Upvote 4

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It seems that a phone in the back left pocket with earbuds wouldn't get in the way of ones swing. The cord could run inside an untucked shirt (although you'd risk not hearing "fore" but that would also be a risk with a loud boombox). That's the way one should listen to music if they want.  Why broadcast the music to others?

11 hours ago, Grndslmhttr3 said:

Shit like this is why I play at a private club

Lots of guys I played with at my club did this. It became a "thing" at our member-guest and I hated it. Probably 7 or 8 groups. When paired with one of the guys who played their music I politely asked to be moved. I would just say why not pair them with someone else who wants to listen to music. Who knows maybe a dance party will break out.

I really don't understand the need to have it blaring out of your cart while your playing. 

• Upvote 2

Michael

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

My group plays music, and enjoys it.  Usually a little country or old school rock.  If someone is paired with us, we ask if they mind.  If they do, they're welcome to find someone else to play with.  Of course we tone it down if we run up on another group on a tee box, but that's the only possible time anyone else could possibly hear it.  

Being able to do so is why we play at a private club, @Grndslmhttr3;-).  

Why should they find someone else to play with?    You are the offending group in this case.   Shouldn't you forgo the music or yield to play with someone who don't mind? 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Most of my golf is played in the San Diego area. We have.....marine aviation, naval aviation, general aviation, commercial aviation, life flight, police helicopters, Cal Fire helos and tankers at times. The maintenance crews and their equipment. Then the usual sirens and background noise. A little music won't bother me 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

Most of my golf is played in the San Diego area. We have.....marine aviation, naval aviation, general aviation, commercial aviation, life flight, police helicopters, Cal Fire helos and tankers at times. The maintenance crews and their equipment. Then the usual sirens and background noise. A little music won't bother me 

Sounds charming...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, chilepepper said:

See for me, that noise can be defined as "white" noise. It is constant and predictable for the most part. I often find the song changing to a new one, or a song I am not familiar with and the beat may or may not be constant. Like someone can start yelling in a song. That can be unnerving. I find that a key difference. 

My home course is in a flight path of PDX airport (right after take off usually) and sometimes military jets take off, but you know they are coming and you can back off and nobody will think anything about it. If I back off during a song each time it changes or I hear something I am not familiar it can get tiring. 

Harding Park in San Francisco has a shooting range right next to it. It seemed like you never knew when the shooting would start/stop it was unnerving not having any kind of consistency.

• Upvote 1

Michael

6 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Why should they find someone else to play with?    You are the offending group in this case.   Shouldn't you forgo the music or yield to play with someone who don't mind? 

Why should my group change for a single individual who wants to play with us?  Either play with us, or don't.  I'm good either way.

If I were to want to play with another group, I'd either accept their preference or find another group, but I certainly wouldn't expect them to confirm to my expectations.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So in addition to potentially being rude, listening to music could also breach the rules.  Honestly, I don't mind the folks who listen to music considerately during casual play, keeping the volume low in general, and turning it down further when appropriate.  Its the guys who want to share their music with the entire world that should have their musical device dumped into the nearest waterway.

So, wait, technically anyone who is listening to music while they play aren't supposed to post that round because they broke that rule? Well damn, that's a new one. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!