IGNORED

Anyone play a seven wood?

Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The PING rep was at our course today so I went along to see about getting a 3 iron to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood.  This isn't a really big problem for me to be honest but I thought it might be interesting to try a few clubs out.

I hit 3 iron in I series (I have s55), g hybrid 3 and 4, 3 and 4 crossover with graphite shaft.  None of them really worked because I was either hitting the wrong trajectory or getting too close to the 4i or 5w for distance.  Finally the rep gave me a 7 wood to try and it was perfect - right in the middle of my yardage gap and landing really steeply without much roll.  I had honestly never thought about a 7w before but it really did seem like the right club.  

Interested to know if anyone else uses one and how you get on with it.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I play one off and on.  Haven't had one in the bag this year, but had one in it the last two years.  If I get my tee ball in the appropriate spots, I have a couple of holes at my home course that call for high shots of 200-215 yards, and the 7W worked good for that.  This year I figured I'd sacrifice the ability to make that shot for other needs. 

John

I have never hit a 7w, but I do know a couple of people who play one. I prefer hybrids, myself.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a 7 MW, and I play it alot. It's my go to club in a a lot of situations. I even chip, and pitch with it sometimes. It replaces my 3 & 4 irons. It's just a great, stroke saving club for me. I have total confidence in it. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I love my Bang SF 7 wood.  It is the most consistent club in my bag.  Perfect for the 200-215 yard range depending on temperature and how dry the course is.  I liked it so much I got the whole set down to a 19 wood.  But back on topic I can land my 7 wood right at 200 yards on a wet green and have it stop within 2 yards of my ball mark.  I can also play a low hot drive off the tees and bend it to the left or right on doglegs keeping it under the trees out past my playing partner's driver.  It also comes in handy for punch shots out of the woods when there is a small window at eye high.

I have been playing 4W + 7W for five seasons.  I had trouble hitting a 3W off the fairway, so I tried a RocketBalz 3W-HL (4W for all other companies). The 5W was too close in loft, so I went to a 7W.

RBZ had too light a shaft, so I swapped them out for the Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W after one season. I still play the XRails. The current TE Exotics Ex9 model has a 7W.

The 7W (21*) and 4H (22*) bump into each other in distance, but have different strengths. The 7W gets the ball higher, and is great out of medium rough. 4H can give a medium launch, or a low stinger draw off the tee.

Interesting use of 7W on PGA Tour in late 1990s (pre-hybrid): A couple of big hitters ditched their 2i for a 7W to get better control. (Carried 3W + 7W).

When I attended the US Senior Open at Bellerive CC in 2004, more than half the players carried a 7W. (just as hybrids were emerging).

In Callaway's original Big Bertha era (also pre-hybrid), the BB fairway wood lines featured 3+, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11W. And, this year XR16 FWs  have the same variety.

Similarly, the Titleist 915F  has 3+ through 7W.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I've had a TM R11 7W for a couple of seasons now. I'll put it away and try hybrids only to return to it.

I own a considerable number of hybrids in a variety of shapes, lofts, and shaft options. I own only the one 7W. Hmm.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Was in pretty much the same situation as you last year.  6i is my longest iron, then a 5-hybrid.  I had #4 and 3 hybrids that rarely saw any playing time unless we were talking a 170-180 yard par 3 hole.  Plus, reliability with the 4 and 3 hybrids off the deck or from rough was less than acceptable.

Bought the Ping G 7-wood late last year.  It's yardage and consistency is much more favorable compared to the longer hybrids.  Because of my shorter length with most clubs, going from a 5-hybrid at 165-170 and 180-ish with the 7-wood, I'm ok with the gapping.  Next longer club is Ping G 5-wood at 190-200.

Frankly, I'm not seeing a 'need' anywhere on the long side of the bag.  Plus, the Ping 7- and 5-woods are pretty easy to get airborne, eat up yards on par-5s and long par 4s and pretty accurate when I come up to a pesky 175-200 yard par-3 hole.

7-wood?  I'm all in.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I do currently and I'm probably going to stick with it. As @WUTiger stated above my 7W and 4H can bump into each other. Thinking about sticking my 4i back in the bag. My 7W is good enough out of medium rough that I don't really need both. I hit my 7w anywhere from 195-220 depends on lie and contact.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, ZappyAd said:

The PING rep was at our course today so I went along to see about getting a 3 iron to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood.  This isn't a really big problem for me to be honest but I thought it might be interesting to try a few clubs out.

I hit 3 iron in I series (I have s55), g hybrid 3 and 4, 3 and 4 crossover with graphite shaft.  None of them really worked because I was either hitting the wrong trajectory or getting too close to the 4i or 5w for distance.  Finally the rep gave me a 7 wood to try and it was perfect - right in the middle of my yardage gap and landing really steeply without much roll.  I had honestly never thought about a 7w before but it really did seem like the right club.  

Interested to know if anyone else uses one and how you get on with it.

I play the Ping G30 7wd & it's nice & easy to hit straight and up to 170yds for me, at the 21deg setting. Hit a nice ball, which you can drop on the green, with just a normal swing. Sometimes I play in back in my stance, to play under a headwind; carrying a driver, 5 & 7wds always - where I play, I don't have any use for the 3wd...

If people think a 7 wood is good and undiscovered may I dare to suggest you also try higher numbered woods (especially good in soggier conditions) - I hate to admit that I have not only a 9 wood but also an 11,13&15 -( they are metal but would prefer permission!) - sort of equivalent to hybrids I suppose. The 9 is 28* the 11 is 31*, the 13 is 34* & the 15 is 37* - incredibly easy to play! 

• Upvote 1

I came across some Callaway Great Big Bertha Hawkeye FWs - 3, 5, 7, 9 - at Christmas 2014. The GBB Hawkeye came out about 2000.

They would rate as being in very good shape, and I got them for $45 each, plus each had a new Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound midsize grip.

(A few months later, I scored a GBB Hawkeye Deuce - the 2-wood for the model).

They have stood in the corner, and I need to give them a try on-course. So many clubs, so little time.

And, what goes around comes around. The current Callaway XR.16 FWs come in 3+, 3, 4, 5 ,7, 9 and 11.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On August 12, 2016 at 5:54 PM, NDavis said:

If people think a 7 wood is good and undiscovered may I dare to suggest you also try higher numbered woods (especially good in soggier conditions) - I hate to admit that I have not only a 9 wood but also an 11,13&15 -( they are metal but would prefer permission!) - sort of equivalent to hybrids I suppose. The 9 is 28* the 11 is 31*, the 13 is 34* & the 15 is 37* - incredibly easy to play! 

how many irons do you carry with this set up? must start with a 9 iron? I've owned a couple 7 woods @ 21 degrees,  but prefer my hybrid. whatever works..... 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

32 minutes ago, Jmdmbike said:

how many irons do you carry with this set up? must start with a 9 iron? I've owned a couple 7 woods @ 21 degrees,  but prefer my hybrid. whatever works..... 

I go even further all the way to 19 wood (47 degree).    It does take a bit of talent and concentration to hit the little face on the 17 and 19 wood, but I can hit my 19 wood farther than most my playing partners hit their 45 degree PW due to it being 4 inches longer for more head speed.  It goes high and stops within a couple of yards of the ball mark.  My next club is a 49 degree wedge.  No true irons in the bag. 

Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!